Lenni just quit.  Totally! won't do a thing. I replaced the fuse with the one in the little drawer, still won't work.  I tried plugging into a different outlet, still won't work.  I have about an hour left to do on this 37 hour quilt, and three more to do this week.  HELP

Do yourself a favor and go straight to either Radio Shack, or order from APQS.  If you try an auto parts store they will look at you very strangely and ask "What is this from?"  When you try to explain the concept of a longarm quilting machine their eyes really glaze over. 

Glad you are back up and running.

Not 100% sure. When the AC came on it made Lenni quit. Thought the fuse blew so we replaced it, then figured out that the cord was loose.  The little cord from the encoder to the machine also was shorting out.  Good thing Roseanne left that encoder on there. I was able to take the cord from the bent carriage and replace the cord on the new carriage.  Now everything works, except Steve still hasn't had time to work on my table because he's been working twelves.  I haven't sewn much except to play with CL yesterday for a while. I've been drawing shapes for Carol's quilt and cleaning house because FIL arrives Friday night for a week.

I think it was my fault this time. I hit a ruler and broke a needle and it jammed and I had to shut it off real quick, with the SR switched on. So I did it myself.  Radio shack here doesn't carry those fuses. Said they are special order and  will take a week to get in.  The air conditioner place had some 3.0 amp 5x20 250V slow blow ones. He said it should work. I haven't put one in yet.

We drove to Paducah yesterday so I could go to Hancocks for batting. While we were there I went in Radio Shack and bought the fuses for the Lenni.  The new fuse is in. The machine powers on, but when I turned the flywheel to put my needle down I noticed there is now a new problem.

The needle is hitting the bobbin assembly. It will not go down at all. This is not just a little mm or two timing issue.  I have no idea what to do.  I have 4 quilts here to do and I need to get it fixed. Is there anybody who can send me directions to figure out the problem.  When I turn the flywheel the opposite direction the needle goes down into the bobbin area.  Turning it the way it should go, it will not go down. The needle bar gets about half way and then the needle hits the bobbin assembly. 

Can anybody help?

Were you able to get it going again after you had hit the ruler? That could knock it out of time. Maybe it already was a bit out of time and was hitting wrong before you hit the ruler and which contributed to the blown fuses. So sorry you are having such a time with your newer machine, I feel bad it's all dumping at once. Let's hope when this is fixed you'll have no more issues! It could be chocolate and wine time a little early today :)

No, when it hit the ruler the needle broke, the fuse blew, the machine was dead. Now, with the new fuse the machine comes on and "sews" in manual and stitch regulated WITHOUT a needle.  The needle can't go down. Without the needle if we turn the flywheel so the needle bar is down the hook is on the bottom of the bobbin assembly. With the needle bar completely up the hook opening is up. 

I don't know if I'm making any sense or not.

It's like the entire bobbin assembly is upside down or something.  This machine has been not working more than it has been working. 

Teresa, after you broke the needle and jammed it, did you retime the hook?  It sounds to me as if the hook may have been set on the downstroke of the needle, rather than the upstroke.  Easy to do, but not nearly as effective as the other way.....

Okay, I loosened the three screws on the hook collar and manually turned it to a place where I can have the needle go down.  We did the timiing by the directions in the book, filed the burr off the hook and bobbin assembly with emery cloth. Put it all back together, it sews, but now there are big gaps of missing stitches. The book says the timing is still off, but we just did that. WAAAHHHHH!!! I'm going to go cry now.

Hang in there, Teresa!!  Timing isn't hard, but it sure is tedious!!!  Doesn't take much of a mis-adjustment to cause a problem... First, double-check that your needle bar height is right - that can be a big contributor to missing stitches.  Then, take your needle plate off and eyeball how the hook passes behind the needle (and triple check that the needle is in straight).  Just the littlest difference in how close the hook is to the needle can make a huge difference in your stitch quality.

Thanks Barb. It is up and running, but every time I try to travel quickly the thread breaks, with and without SR.  Going slowly it is wonderful, stitches look great and tension is good with So Fine on top and prewound in bobbin.   I am going to finish this little quilt, then I will work on the machine some more.

Hey Teresa, I just wanted say how sorry I am about all the problems with your new machine. I'm not sure if your machine came with a warrantee but if not, here is the name and number of my longarm guy- Joe Reid 615-294-3724, he and I both live just outside Nashville. He works on all makes and models of longarms. He is very good and affordable, maybe he can help.

(((Hugs))) Amie, Murfreesboro TN

Thanks Amie.  No warranty, I bought a used machine from a listing here.  It is a great machine.I really think all the problems have been operator error more than anything else.  It's a learning process, just like anything new.  At least this way I'm finding out everything that CAN go wrong. LOL

Archived