Here is the quilt Carol Bindel sent to me for custom quilting. It is a pattern she designed and she wants it to look fabulous. I have suggested a couple of options, but before we make a decision I suggested we ask some of the show quilters here for ideas.  She agreed.

So, to all of you quilters who are great at coming up with fill designs that still show off the pattern, we need ideas.  The quilt is large, and each of those white center blocks is 20 1/2 inches square.  I am going to use a double layer of wool and then do faux trapunto under the applique designs. We've already decided to treat the white/blue/white borders as one border and do the outer blue border with swirling feathers. 

Finished:  white bobbin thread all over, white thread in white areas, monofilament in rail fence borders.  warm and natural cotton next to backer, quilters dream wool on top.  over 50 bobbins- lost count at some point- over 40 hours of quilting. Of course I like the back the best- always do.

post-1022-0-57028600-1374001757_thumb.jpg

post-1022-0-46937000-1374001773_thumb.jpg

post-1022-0-19896700-1374001836_thumb.jpg

Hi Teresa.

If you have worked with double-wool batting before with success, great. If you haven't tried it, please do a sample before you start this one. Double wool will require you to raise your hopping foot and you still might get some stitch distortion from possible dragging of the foot on the fabric. Most show quilters are happy with 100% cotton batting next to the backer and wool on top. It works great for faux-trapunto and the cotton with scrim gives a great non-stretchy base. The quilt will travel well because the wool on top sheds creases and looks great hanging.

Hawaiian-style applique traditionally is echo quilted. I think your blocks are too big to do that well--you'd need some advance/roll back action to keep the spacing even. I'd opt for a graceful dense filler behind the applique with a careful outlining. McTavishing, curls, swirls, paisleys/petals, even a dense leaf or feather meandering would work great. And the pop of the applique will be stunning.

You plan on feathers in the dark outer border so maybe both the inside triple border and the triple sashing could get a similar treatment. Because of the distraction caused by dark-thread-on-light-fabric or light-thread-on-dark I'd give invisible thread a try. You get the texture but the focus is still the center applique. 

Another thought for the triple sashing is to mark it all into squares the same size as the nine-patch sashing stones and CC the whole thing, using thread colors matching the piecing. That still-small but less-dense and even design will frame the interior but not distract from it. A nice resting place. The next plain border could have straight parallel lines stitched all around. Maybe three lines and SID the seams? I can't tell how wide that border is, so whatever looks good. Again, a spot to frame and rest., but still interesting.

The triple border can be busier, especially if you plan gorgeous feathers in the last border. Treated as one area, invisible thread and some scroll work? Feathers mirroring the ones in the last border? Big double egg-and-dart? Reverse C's with feather accents? I'll ponder a while and see what else springs to mind. I usually leave the "problem" until last! Sometimes the best designs come from desperation. :D

What a great project--have lots of fun and please show us progress as you proceed.

Linda, thanks for the tips about the batting. Will the cotton and wool both have the same shrinkage if it is washed?

I also thought of something graceful behind the appliques.  My original ideas were a feather medallion of some sort in the open appliques, and then feather fill or McTavish behind them.  Carol and I talked about the borders.  She really wants feathers, and there is plenty of room for feathers. I like your suggestions for the narrow borders and the white and blue borders which will become one.  I am still pondering over it.. I have one little QOV to do before I start on this one and I really need to make sure this one is well marked and I have perfect lines and tension with that double batting. I will have to take my time doing it so it is perfect.

I do think I'll have to float the top to keep it's drape. It is very well pieced. Not a ripple or wrinkle in site.  : )

I like the tiny leaves.  More of an Asian feel. According to Carol these are Asian motifs that must mean something.  I just drew something very similar for the narrow triple border. I also was thinking of the Sharon Schamber alternating scrolls for that narrow area.  Thanks for the help. I'm going to keep drawing until I figure something out.  I printed a picture of the quilt so I can lay plastic on top and draw different designs. 

Love that Dresden plate quilt by the way.

For batting choices, I agree with Linda, I use wool on top of stable cotton with success. Linda's suggestions are great as usual.

Cindy Needham's class offers a variety of beautiful background fillers, check her out @ Craftsy if you get a chance, you might get some inspirations, I know I did.

Interesting read, thanks Teresa for posting and to Linda and Corey for double batting tips. I have nothing in the ideas department that hasn't been well covered in the points above, I have a quilt coming up that I was going to faux trapunto, so will use those tips as well. Good luck with quilt, eagerly awaiting photos of the completed project.

Okay, here is what I have come up with so far. The drawings probably aren't very good, but it was just to get me an idea where I was headed.  The indecision I still have comes from the large white squares behind the appliques.  I can't decide whether to micro stipple (upper left), McTavish (upper right), pebble (top of bottom left), feather meander (bottom of bottom left), peacock fill (bottom of bottom right) or the leafy meander that Linda suggested (center of bottom right).  I am planning to do the borders as I've drawn them if Carol agrees. I have sent her the picture for review.

SO, help again. I know, I know. I can't make a decision and I'm a hopeless case; but that's why I love you all so much. :wub:

I would suggest some crosshatching behind the blocks. Your sashing will have curves in the stitching and your border will be great, love that design. Simple lines rather than fill will make those applique pop, especially with a double batt. I am assuming you wil sid around the appliques.

You just need a good ruler, draw diagonal reference lines to start and away you go.

Good Luck!

Joanne Flamand

Artistic Quilt Design

www.artisticquiltdesign.com

Thanks Joanne. That's basically what Carol and I agreed to do this morning, only I am adding a little part of one of those gingko flowers in each of the applique blocks and then adding the crosshatching.  I am also going to extend the feathers in the outer border up into the white part of the rail fence border so they fill the space below the diamonds, then I'll put pebbles above the diamonds, just to fill it in.  I really think it will be spectacular. I just pray Lenni behaves with the monofilament thread and prewound bobbins.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the first finished block, maybe.  And the second, maybe

Since the blocks are so large I did a larger crosshatch. Now I'm second guessing myself.  Should I half the size of this crosshatch or does it look okay?

I do know I'm lovin' this cotton and wool double batting trick.