Birdie Boards and life/quilting inspiration

Hawaii

I have been MIA for a couple of months, not just on this forum, but in my quilting room, my DH has been diagnosed with throat cancer and we have a new normal in our lives, that has taken me out of my quilting circles.

However, a couple of days ago, I loaded up my Freedom and decided to try out my newest CL Boards.

This pattern flows and is fairly simple and open.  The quilting using the Birdie boards on a larger than lap size quilt took about an hour and a half.  Easy Peasy.

But stepping it up, I decided to color my birds, leaving the quilt on the frame and using fabric markers.  Two - Three blue birdies per day, per chemo/radiation treatment.  By the time my sweet husband is done with his treatment (7 weeks), this quilt will be ready to "fly" off the frame.

Thank you, Michael, for giving this caregiver, some inspiration and therapy to keep quilting every morning for the next 7 weeks!

Barbara

9137247359_0b69048680.jpg
Birdie 2 by bjlral2000, on Flickr

9139480012_f990b4cd41.jpg
Birdie 1 by bjlral2000, on Flickr

It is wonderful that you have chosen a quilting activity to get you through the difficulties of cancer, also. This is such a neat idea, each one you color in you can envision the cancer cells flying away - or healthy cells flying in :).  My dad had throat cancer and lived many years after surgery and treatment.  His hobby to keep himself active and to combat the stress of treatment was stained glass work, and it worked!  I pray for returning health for your DH in good time.  Take care of yourself!

The 7 weeks will go by faster than you think...one day at a time. I didn't count my weeks...I counted down my days...35...27...16...0. It's harder I think on the spouse. I felt bad for my husband, although he never wavered in his support. I send prayers to you both.

I love what you're doing to your quilt.

You ladies are wonderful "tonic" and encouragement for me. Continue to hold me accountable so that those "birdies" don't overstay their welcome on my Freedom!

Cathy, I am using Tulip Fabric Markers.  I was thinking of using Derwent pencils (I have a whole stash), but I would have had to use a fixative, to make the color permanent.  Hopefully the Tulips will maintain their colorfastness since they are for fabric.

Will post when the birds are ready to fly!!!

Aloha, :)

Barb

Barbara

So sorry to hear about your husbands cancer, but will be adding him to my APQS Prayer list,  It is great that you have a project to keep you going again.  Sometimes, life does get in the way of our quilting and we just cant muster the mojo to get it going again.  So happy that you are able to get back into it in a positive way.  Many prayers coming your way. 

• 2 weeks later...

Barb my prayers are with you and hubby.  It is so hard having a sick hubby.  Just went through that last year with mine.  The best advice I can give you is to just take it one day at a time, sometimes just one minute at a time!  Will keep you & hubby in my prayers and be watching to make sure those birdies are taking flight    ;) .  That is a great way for you to count down and also give you a little outlet.  Hugs to you!

Aloha, Barbara!  I'm so sorry to hear about your husband.  I know your faith will keep you strong.  You have a great support system with your family and your church family.  

The CL boards look very cute.  I've never seen those.  You're backing fabric is wonderful.  Was it from your stash or one of the wonderful quilt stores we visited? Keep coloring those birds.  It's going to be a memorable keepsake.  Hugs,  Debbie

Good to see you again, Barb, but sorry you and your hubby are going through a difficult time.  What a wonderful idea for the quilting therapy.  I'll be saying prayers for your husband to get through this and for you to help him through this.  Take care.

• 1 month later...

Hi Barbara,

I haven't been on this forum for months. I just came over to see what everyone has been up to with their Circle Lord.  I'm so sorry to hear about your husband's illness. I know this must be a difficult time for you both. I'll keep you in my evening prayers. Your birds are beautiful! What a wonderful idea! Keep coloring and posting pictures of your progress. Hugs to you.

~Angie

Archived