I have been reading and following the forum for several weeks, well since about a week before I ordered my machine. Don't get me wrong, I have been researching over 3 years. I have gotten several pantos and Linda's book, a kids doodle pad and been doodling like crazy. I have several questions. I know I am going to order several spools of So Fine Thread and Bottom Line for bobbin, but in what weight? Also how do I know size needle to use and batting? I am NOT starting a business, this is just for me and my projects. I just want people to drool over my quilts as I have drooled over yours. Selfish of me, I know that, but I have been sewing and quilting for over 30 years and have given so may "just because" gifts, I just want to WOW people. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated. My machine should be here the week after 10th of July, going to Vegas.  Any other tools or gargets I should consider ordering? My husband and I are celebrating 32 years this Friday, and I am and have been so spoiled for the last 32 years that I really hope we have at least 32 more years. He told me to order the machine I wanted and would be comfortable with. A new friend let me try her machine and I fell in "Love". Any and all suggestions will be written down and kept in my sewing studio.  I will appreciated and treasure each and every one.

Thank You,

Diane West

Diane, Welcome to the family.

You can order So fine and Bottom Line prewound bobbins from Superior threads. You can also get the prewound Coats bobbins with the little cardboard sides. They are convenient and hold more thread than an aluminum bobbin.   Needles. You'll want Singer MR 4.0, and Singer MR 3.5. You can order those from APQS. You can use whatever batting you prefer.  I have one customer who only likes Poly fill high loft.  I would not chose it, but it's what she sends with her quilts. I prefer Quilters Dream or Warm and White.  I am getting ready to do one for a customer using a double layer of wool. That will be yummy.

Please continue to ask as many questions as it takes for you to feel comfortable.  You are now part of the family.

P.S. Which machine did you get?

Diane 

Welcome  to the forum.  You will get some samples of thread and some spare needles with you machine.    We use mostly 3.5 needles with the So Fine 50 but they do break easier so stick with 4.0 to start they work quite well for most threads.  Have a look around the Superior Threads website, they have charts recommending needle sizes for the different threads.    Around here Hobbs 80/20 is the most common batting used but for our own quilts we quite often use Hobbs Heirloom Wool.

Nigel

Since you won't be a business you do have to pay retail for your Superior thread.  There is a couple at all the major shows on the East Coast that sell Superior Threads.  They always have 'Show Specials' which could save you a little money on the thread.  They are also very helpful with all the Superior Thread products.   Have fun.  Mary

The machine I bought and should be delivered in a couple weeks is the Millie. 14 foot table and all the bells and whistles. Can't wait. Thank you so much for the advice. Keep it coming. I will be attending the quilt show in Hershey, Pa in July, and really looking forward to it. APQS is not on the list, but have started a list of thread, DVDs, and gagets to look out for. I will be calling Heidi to add some extra fuses to my list when my machine is shipped. I did not purchase the Harley table, as I do not think I can handle rulers and the machine at the same time. Thinking of the Circle Lord, but waiting to see how I do with the pantos I have from the use of the mid arm and ones I have purchased from this site. What are your suggestions? It's wonderful to be part of this family. The work you all do is just awe inspiring. Looking forward to many years of beauty.

Thank you all,

Diane

Because you have used a midarm , you probably know how to load a quilt, make sure the backing gets loaded square, etc.  But I benefited from Kim Brunner's and Myrna Ficken's DVDs.  Also check out Matt Sparrow's website.  And you will get Dawn's video with your machine.  One thing all of these will teach you is that there is more than one good way to do many things - you'll probably find something that works "best" for you.

I really hate pinning on a quilt.  So I have red snappers, but I think zippers or leadergrips would also be fine.

I like Jamie Wallen's video on how to set your bobbin tension, but a TOWA gauge is nice to reassure yourself.

Good luck, and have fun!!!!

Welcome to the family, Diane!  :)   My suggestion to you is to take your time with getting lots of gadgets and "stuff".  Once you get your new Millie, get some muslin or fabric that you don't care about, and just start playing.  You will find in time what your more favorite ways of quilting are.  Some people only want to do pantographs, others only want to do very detailed custom work, some like to do free-hand edge to edge.....and it doesn't matter, it's just what ever you find that you really enjoy doing.  It's very easy to get carried away and start buying lots of different gadgets before you really get going and have a chance to try new things and find out what style fits you the best. And that adds up to lots of $$$.   When you do find some things that you just have to have, take advantage of some of the "sales" by other forum members to purchase items at a reduced cost that they no longer want or need.  But most of all, have fun and enjoy the ride!  It is a very addictive activity!  :D

Welcome, Diane! And congratulations on your new toy. Your hubby is a keeper  :)

You mentioned you were going to buy "several spools" of So Fine and Bottom Line and wanted to know what weight. Might I suggest that you buy one of each (not each color, but each weight) and see what you really like. 

As for toys, I agree, don't go overboard here either! If you are interested in a ruler, I would suggest a ruler like DeLoa Jones' "Little One." It has a straight edge and also an edge with a little curve.

And as Bonnie already mentioned, a TOWA is a great tool. After the advice here by Linda S. I use mine with every bobbin change and have seen a difference in how easily I get good tension.

Have fun with your new toy!

Hi Diane, and Welcome! Happy Anniversary for Friday too. :)

Books, Books, Books!

I find my books are a good starting point for inspiration on design and also when I get stuck knowing what to quilt in a particular space.

When you start getting into your quilting 'groove' with your new machine, you may consider investing in some good quilting books. Angela Walters, Karen Mc Tavish, Linda Taylor etc, have produced sensational books that showcase a particular technique or style, that could help in turning your quilts into show stoppers. (I'm guessing they're already like that though, since you've been sewing/quilting for 30 years :) )

Judy Greens book and Renae Haddadins are due soon for release too.

Linda R, here on this forum has produced a great book on designs for sashing and borders. I would definitely recommend you add that one to your collection.

And if your not subscribed to it, check out the magazine, Machine Quilting Unlimited.

Hope that helps and doesn't overcrowd your bookshelf too much. :)

When will you be in Hershey?  I'll be taking Sharon Schamber's class on Thursday morning with Kim Loar.  Irena Bluhm has openings in her classes and she's a great quilter and teacher.  Even though you haven't used your machine, you may benefit from a class. 

The Superior Thread people are usually there.  I primarily use bottom line and So Fine #50.  They just came out with Magnifico last year and I have no problems with it either, just use a 4.0 needle. King Tut can be finicky, so I wouldn't use it right away.  You won't find much in the line of machine quilting tools at Hershey.

I have all of DeLoa Jones rulers.  I love using them, and if you're going to wow people with your quilting, you'll need the little one and maybe her curved crosshatching rulers, too.  Think about stencils to mark your quilt.  Pam Clarks lined stencils are really great.  Can't say enough about them.  Just make sure you get the good miracle chalk, because the other pounce chalk, just pounces right off with the vibration of your machine.

Jamie Wallen just came out with rulers that have a piece standing up at a 45 degree angle.  He has arthritis and he can hold on to them easier.  So trying out the rulers at a show is a good idea.  Unfortunately, you need to go to a machine quilting show.  Watch the videos on you tube with the quilters showing how to use their rulers.

Check out DeLoa Jones site  www.deloasquiltshop.com  because her books are awesome.  She has them on a DVD so they're cheaper, but I prefer the ones I can look at.  She has a block book, border book, and a freehand feather book that I just love and Darlene Epp has a formal feather book that's just awesome.  You don't really need to get a lot of different books, because a feather is a feather.  Once you've mastered them, you can see how quilters use them on quilts and get your inspiration from there. 

Linda Rech, on our forum, has an easy to use sashing book with lots of ideas that are applicable for any quilt.  I'd start with these few books, stencils and rulers and then see what type of quilting I like to do before I invest in other items.

I hope you love your machine as much as I love mine!

LibbyG,

I will be in Hershey on Friday the 26th. Taking a bus trip with our local quild. I have already bought Linda's book. I have been practicing on my doodle pad. I have been busy looking at you tube videos, and writing all the suggestions down. I did order the TOWA gauge, but it is backordered, so sometime hopefully close to the time I get my machine I will receive it. I am going to wait to get thread until the show so I can see them all and pick up some. Cones or spools? Can you use the same thread in the bobbin or do you have to have special thread like in an embroidery machine? I will look at rulers at the show and am going to look for some of the books/dvds. I am trying to get a bus trip for the September show in Oaks, PA. always went when it was held in Harrisburg, but Philly is farther away for me and I dislike the traffic. Maybe I will see you in Hershey.

Diane

Hi Diane!  I'm a relative newbie too.  You will find the best advice from the wonderful people on this forum.  I know they have bailed me out of a pickle more than once.  I think you'd have no problems handling the rulers and machine at the same time.  LOL, just like everything else, it just takes some practice.  You will love your machine, I'm sure of it.  Not sure if anyone has mentioned magna-glide bobbins, but I love those.  They have a little magnet in them that prevents backlash of the bobbin thread.  I haven't had tension issues since I started using those (and following Jamie Wallen's tips on setting your tension.  I think someone mentioned his video.  It solved my tension issue in 10 minutes.)  They are a smidge more expensive than the Superior threads prewound bobbins (I think) but are well worth it in my opinion.  LOL, you must be going crazy waiting for the machine.  

Diane,

I'll miss you this trip to Hershey as my class is Thursday.  I use So Fine on top and BL in the bottom.  Sometimes I use BL top and bottom. If you're doing background McTavishing, Karen likes the BL on top because it isn't as thick. 

I always buy the cones.  I use a lot of 402 in the So Fine because it goes with the backgrounds of quilts.  I like the cream, ivory, blush, medium green, medium brown, tan, and sage in the Bottom line.  Rarely do I use the white on a quilt. 

The Hershey show is small so don't expect to find rulers and DVD's there.  The Oaks show is bigger, but they don't have a lot of LA tools there either.  You really have to get them at MQX in New Hampshire in April next year or order them online.  You'll find some quilters rule tools.  They have the nested circles, ovals etc. but they're really hard to control.  I like the bigger templates, but they are more expensive.

Sharon Schamber will have DVDs in her classes and she charges $10 for each of them.  Find out which room her class is in and when it's over, so you can be outside the door and pop in to buy some.

• 4 weeks later...

My Millie arrived last Tuesday and was set up by my DH on Wednesday evening and finished on Thursday evening. Played all weekend. I am overwhelmed by it all, but loving every minute of it. Am having a top thread tension issue, but working on it. Bobbin tension is perfect and the back of my practice sandwich looks perfect. Wish I could get that same stitch on the top. When I put my thread on, the machine was already threaded, but it was threaded different than the book says to thread it. Could that be my problem? I don't want to change it, because someone threaded it that way, and they know more about it than I do at this point. Any suggestions? I have played with the tension from really tight to really loose and still get the same issue. Thank you for any advice.

Diane

Hi Diane,

If you are worried about not getting it threaded the way it is now, take a picture of it and then play around with it.  You can always go back to what it was by looking at the picture.  I got mine from a friend who was selling hers.  DH and I put it together and it was already threaded, so I just went with that.  What I didn't know was that the thread had come out from the hook right after the tension assembly.  I messed with the tension until I got it to go somewhat ok.  When Dave Jones came to do the spa treatment, he showed me the way to thread it and said he didn't know how I was able to sew with it that way I had it.  I guess my point is not to be nervous to play around with things.  But, I was way scared of my machine for months haha, so I know how you feel.  Jamie Wallen has a great video on setting tension on youtube.  If you search Jamie Wallen longarm tension it should come right up.  I haven't had issues since I learned that.  

Hi Diane,

I'm a newbie too.  These forums rock, and everyone is so patient and helpful.   ;)    As for tools and gadgets -  a towa tension gauge was and is really helpful to me so far.  I have one straight ruler (a small one that is about 8 inches and fits well in your hand)  and just bought a few circle rulers.    You will get a few pantographs to try out and thread samples.  Do not buy too much at first.  It is expensive and you need to first hammer down your stitches, technique and the basics first.    

Archived