ideas for canvas leaders

Sew a big bag and stuff with cedar chips for the dog?

Cut to size for a rug in front of the sink, use pens or fabric paint to make it pretty, seal it, and back it with non-skid carpet tape?

Let the kids or grandkids loose with the markers and use a big piece for a picnic blanket?

Keep a hunk in the trunk of the car for emergencies that require getting down on the ground?

Ask at your guild or sewing group if anyone wants some of it?

Too good to toss, for sure. :)

I saw some great rugs made with canvas. You layer several fabrics on top of it. Then you quilt something like leaves and flowers on it. Then you cut through layers of fabric about 1/4 inch inside your quilted motifs. Then you wash the whole thing, the canvas shrinks, and the top fabrics fray. It looks great!

So..you have your canvas layer, and on top of that you put for instance, green, pink, blue and red fabrics. Your top fabric is going to be the background color of your design. For leaves, you cut out the red, pink and blue to expose the green. For the flowers, you might expose the pink or the blue.

This project is on my "to do" list. You bind the edges after its washed, and use one of those non-slip carpet mats under the finished rug.

I covered my cutting/pressing table with it. Also just made side leaders for both machines (like Sharon Schamber). They're very sturdy, don't stretch and are great for side tensioning to keep the quilt square. I use them mostly when stitching corners and borders with my CompuQuilters. This way nothing moves and those borders start and stop in the exact same stitch I've marked with Pattern Start and Pattern End. Works like a charm!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived