Joyce...it's good news about your kidney.  I'm really happy for you about that. 

DCIS cancer in the early stages is pretty easy to cure.  And it's fairly slow growing.  I could have waited the four months to get my insurance changed over to one that allowed me to use the doctors and services I wanted to use.  I heard the word cancer and panicked.  With DCIS the surgery removes the cancer and the radiation kills any cells that may be hanging around.  Having gone through this I have some pretty definite ideas.  Really...REALLY...question them about the need for radiation.  Since I've gone through it I've had doctors say it might not have been necessary.  In fact, if I had been ten years older it wouldn't have even been offered.  This kind of cancer is "encapsulated" and doesn't spread.  Yay!  That's your good news...it's slow growing and it's non-spreading.   

I had a harder time with the radiation than most they say and I got burned.  I'm told the burn is the exception rather than the rule.  As soon as they stop the radiation the burn started healing and it healed really fast.  However, what no one told me is the radiation will cause your breast to shrink up to a whole breast size.  My friend did not burn at all and yet her breast shrank an entire breast size too.  None of your bras are going to fit anymore.  Their fix for this is to tell you to get a bra that allows you to use an insert.  Last visit my surgeon said my insurance would pay to have the unaffected breast reduced in size to match the other one.  They won't operate on the side that had the cancer.  I'm lucky enough to have ample enough breast size that I could do that and still have plenty...it's just the idea of operating on a good one.  I thought it wouldn't bother me.  I said it would be better to be alive than worry about my boobs matching.  That's still true, but what if I didn't need to have the radiation at all.  I guess I'm just second-guessing the need for the radiation.  And it turns out that it DOES bother me about one side being that much smaller than the other side.  I was just so shell shocked at the diagnosis of cancer that I was in a daze and I just walked through it doing what I was told to do.  Cancer is a BIG money maker for a lot of companies.  All I'm saying is really question things.   

And the flooding...I'm so sorry you have to go through this too.  I wish I had a little bit of your rain, but just enough to water all my plants...not soak my house.  They say bad luck comes in threes...you've had your three. ..kidney, breast and flood...now stop this and go get well.  You have a lot of prayers being sent your way. 

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have been very busy visiting different labs at my local hospital in an attempt to find out why my right side hurt so bad.  The news is there is nothing wrong with my right side but because of the pa

I talked to the jury duty people and got moved to oct.   I am a firm believer in that we don't get more than we can handle and that God does have a sense of humor.  I believe the test is more about o

Joyce, I certainly will keep you in my prayers..  So many who have had a kidney removed, say it is so easy to recover.   Praying that is true for you.   Prayers for peace of mind, no anxiety, and

I  really appreciate you chiming in.  I had already considered total removal as part of reconstruction surgery after my gastric bypass surgery.  My mother had breast cancer last year and I was looking into how to handle everything.  The radiologist said just what you are saying about the radiation.  I will probably pass on it as we have caught this so early.  But I am going to have implants as I have a loving husband that doesn't need reminded every time he looks at me that I had cancer.  

I am making a quilt top during this flood so I can label it made in 2013 flood.  Thanks for your prayers.  I can talk to you guys here.  My family and friends go off the deep end.   

Joyce, my sister recently did the same thing...skipped the radiation because it was caught so early and had reconstruction.  She is 72....extremely active, and felt the need to have everything "match".  She has been so happy she did.

Her doctor told her he just did not feel like radiation was needed. She had a difficult time finding a reconstructive surgeon and getting her insurance to cover it because of her age. That just made her angry and more determined than ever! Our mom died at 98 so my sister told them she expected to still have a nice long life and she wanted her boobs to match. I don't believe it was the decision I would have made but was sooooo proud of her for standing her ground and demanding she not be treated differently because of her age

I remember when she told me...I asked if the brand new "infant" one was going to sag like the 72 year old one. She said "Dang, I didn't think about that!!" She had a few nips and tucks done on her healthy breast during surgery so now they are both perky!

Keep your positive attitude Joyce and we will pray for the best possible outcome!    (((((((((((HUGS))))))))))))

Today they came and took the car away as it had been totaled due to the flood waters getting inside the electronics and it was sewage.  We weren't really prepared for it to be totaled as it was a nice 2009 Nissan Rouge with all the bells and whistles.  We found a  new car but I cried when they hauled the old one away.  It still looked so good.  We have put an air conditioner in the window of the studio so I can keep sewing and quilting right up till surgery.  I had been told I might have been out of commission for up to 6 months but my Dr. is saying as little as 3 weeks.  I will be very grateful for that.

We had young people from a local Church come and help clean out what we had in the basement. The local news stations came to interview us because the kids were here.  then the other channel came the next day because of the trash pickers.  and today the third station interview us because the Church group came back to do a small room that had no light the first time they were here.  As I don't get good reception for channel 8 I haven't seen it and channel 5 was just here today so I have been too busy to check out what they did with the interview. Channel 3 did 2 stories on our house.  one about the kids and one about the water  quality report for the flood waters.  

I do appreciate everyone's prayers.  

PS     :D  I got a jury duty summons today  :lol:

Jury duty as the cherry on top.... I have few words for all that you've been dealt, except (((HUGS)))! Thank the Lord extra help was sent your way to help with cleanup. Hopefully a friend or family member was able to tape the tv coverage for you. (Yet somehow I think you've memories aplenty for the summer you've had so far :) Continued thoughts and prayers for you, Joyce.

A note from your Dr. will get you off Jury duty, if you don't want to serve. 

It really is too much to deal with at the same time.  They do understand, but

you will need a written note from the Dr. that you are unable to serve while in treatment.

Prayers continue   :) 

God Bless,

I talked to the jury duty people and got moved to oct.  

I am a firm believer in that we don't get more than we can handle and that God does have a sense of humor.  I believe the test is more about our attitude through the trial than it is the trial.  To God be the glory because I could be in the loony been if He wasn't carrying me through most of this.  I keep hearing  "Be still, I got this".  I am sure He has said it to me in the past but I was too busy trying to be in charge to hear.  Thanks friends for "talking with me".

I really couldn't agree more, Joyce. 

He just led me to a spinal neurologist who will do a same day

surgery on Aug. 2 to remove the stimulators and many, many wires in my spine.  Then he can

order an MRI, and find out just what is going on with my spine, and how to go about stopping this

constant pain.  What a relief that will be.  I had about afew months after the neck was fused, with almost

no pain.  I do toller ate a lot of pain since I've had severe pain for many years.. about 20 at the least 

the first pain which seemed to heal it'self was in 1980.  From there it's gone down hill..

I also have one breast smaller than the right, but in my case we can't find a reason.  For a time

I used a sort of falsie (nothing to leak) of a fibre that's soft and pliable almost like the natural breast.

It adhesed itself to the breast so it would stay in place.  It worked for about a week, then my skin

began reacting as it does to so many adhesives.  Had to stop using it.   Oh, I got it at Walmart.

I hadn't thought of putting a pocket in the bras, or put the falsie in a fabric cover, and tiny invisible snaps

to hold it in place, where the snaps won't show thru. 

Hmm I wonder if they have a bra with a pocket behind a falsie to hold the saggy, baggy breasts UP where they

should be. :D   :D   ;)

Many HUGSSS and God Bless,

Rita

Rita, they make bra's with the pocket already in them.  Usually it's a store that caters to cancer patients.  You could just look online for them.  I was thinking of all of the things I could carry in those pockets and not have to carry my purse...lol.  I used to put my cell phone in my bra.  Every doctor has assured me this absolutely did not contribute to me getting cancer, but I must not believe them because I don't do that anymore.  My phone rang one time while I was standing in front of a cashier and I reached into my bra and shut it off.  The cashier just stared at me in amazement.  My husband told him it was my "other purse".

Thanks Oma.. I've seen them in the med supply store.  I just can't afford the cost, plus don't need bra's now, so while sitting after supper, could do a very sloppy job of stitching the pocket in, and no added cost.  LOL, can use scraps of most any color..  No one but I would know, oh, and I guess Himself would know.

I've often thought of a small bag under the breast for ID, etc, but found it too difficult to get to, without looking like I was tucking my stuffing back into the bra.  LOL, I gave up on that, real fast.

Rita

Jury Duty?  My husband and I had to serve together once.  My husband isn't a patient person when it comes to sitting around in a courtroom, 

then another one came for both of us and he refused to go.  I said well if you aren't going then neither am I.  The Judge sent a ugly letter and said if we didn't explain why we would be charged a fine.  Can't remember if we paid a fine, but if we had to you can bet I made the hubby pay it.  We haven't received a jury notice since.  I know it's the American way but some of the things are just frivolous.  Good luck on your jury day.

Diana

I did get jury duty postponed till Oct. 2013 but now my Breast surgery is scheduled for Sept 17th and reconstruction in Oct.  I might have to ask to be put on next years docket.   I wanted to do radical removal but the Dr. said she didn't want to do it because my insurance would not cover both sides as there is no cancer in the right side.  So we are having the breast MRI August 5th. and  Kidney surgery August 22nd.  Heal from that then have lumpectomy to get clean margins on Sept 17th.  I do know how to have fun.  

So far we have had electricians,HVAC and plumbers running all over the house.  We do have hot water and a window air conditioner so life is good.