Steam, Press, and Easing a Quilt in to Shape :/

A few weeks ago I told of the quilt that was brought to me in a garbage bag while I was waiting to go to surgery. The gal's grandma had made it for her and gave it to her to have someone quilt it. I've just started back quilting and put this one on first. Oh, my! All the borders caused the inner part to be all puckered, as well as the pinwheel blocks being c cups.... so I've done some serious spray and pressing, and a lot of easing. So far I've been able to avoid any tucks, but I've quite a ways to go. You can see in the first picture how much excess there is in the center compared to the straight and smooth borders (part of which is seen down by my machine). I didn't have the top rolled taut yet in that pic as I was still trying to figure the best way to deal with these problems. The second pic shows it all coming together. I'm pretty sure I'll be tired of cc'ing by the time it's done (2" blocks in the 16 patches and it measures 106" x 118". I believe this is building back my muscle strength far faster than PT! :)post-5120-0-49116000-1372744889_thumb.jpgpost-5120-0-72102400-1372744903_thumb.jpg

Great job! I sometimes add a thin layer of wool batting pieces to solve some severe cups.

Oh, Corey, I wish I had considered that. She sent along a thinner Fairfield poly. It is actually holding up well, but is not doing a lot of filling.. But I had a brain fart not considering wool as a filler in this case. She wanted it to be a light weight finished quilt so i just used what she brought (I use 80/20 most of the time unless they request different or bring their own. My Mabel tensions out good on pretty much anything (except King Tut but I digress here ;) I do have a smaller wool batt here, but for this it would have been used as a complete second layer, right? Or just in the worst areas?

Thanks for the nice comments and suggestions - they're like a shot of caffeine on this one! :)

You have made the piecing that Grandma did look fabulous!  The granddaughter will have a wonderful treasure!

There are so many on this Forum that can piece a quilt and do simply amazing quilting, but as quilters, it was likely very well pieced.  When I see a quilt on the Forum where the quilting makes the piecing look amazingly, I take note because many of us will have our quilts enjoyed, though we  may never accomplish "show perfect" piecing or quilting.   

Yesterday, as I was driving through Wyoming, returning from a visit with my daughter and granddaughter, I can across a sign in a quilting store bathroom that I loved.  "Only God is perfect, our quilts don't have to be."

Thanks for sharing the quilt Marci!

It looks wonderful! You would never know what you went through to make it look so gret! Job well done! So did you do all of the spraying/pressing on the frame? Do you just pop your ironing surface under the table? Forgive me if that is a stupid question. :)

I did steam and press right at the frame mostly because I don't yet have the ability to maneuver the top around my pressing table. I have a small padded pressing board I made from directions generously given here on the forum. I held that under each small section I steamed and lightly pressed as I moved across a row. I was lucky that this cotton fabric tightened up pretty good on the frame. I should mention that the backing and batting were loaded but I floated the top.

Hope that makes sense and helps clarify it for you :)

And, again, thank you all for the kind words and encouragement - I had another followup appt. with the surgeon today, and he thinks my getting back into moving the machine around is really speeding up my recovery and arm strength. If he only understood how much we long armers use our arm and shoulder muscles he would be impressed, wouldn't he? :) :)

It doesn't even look like the same quilt, Marci! You are taming that beast into a beauty! I'm glad to see you are back to quilting. I'm not sure if feels great on your shoulder (hows that going?) but I bet your spirit is loving getting back in the game  :)

It doesn't even look like the same quilt, Marci! You are taming that beast into a beauty! I'm glad to see you are back to quilting. I'm not sure if feels great on your shoulder (hows that going?) but I bet your spirit is loving getting back in the game  :)

Thanks, Bonnie :)  Slow but sure on this quilt! I have to frog the borders because I'm not satisfied with how the design came out. It's ruler work, and that's one area I don't have strength and control with yet too well.   After my surgeon's appointment I stayed and visited my dd, dsil, and dgs for a couple days then took a detour route to visit another dd on the way home.  I was cleared to do what is tolerable - and I was able to lift up and hold our two year old grandson! It felt so good as I've not been able to do that for several months now! He gave me a big hug and kiss and told me he wuved me - and the world was right ♥♥

Archived