classes at MQX??

I am looking at a couple by Claudia, Linda Taylor, Angela Walters, and possibly one with Jamie Wallen. Has anybody taken one of his classes?  Is he pretty good?  I have watched his youTube videos and don't want to pay money if it is something he has already covered there.

I definitely want to do Deloa's class Saturday morning, if I can fit it in.

And does anybody know if Jackie Kunkel is doing hands on classes, or just lectures?

Who else would you recommend?  Which classes would you recommend?  This is my first time going to a big show and taking classes. Paducah doesn't count because I always just go for a day since it's right around the corner.

Since this is my first MQX , I wanted to sign up for at least three or four hands on classes, but alas I don't have the time or the funds!!

I opted for lectures/demos with Jamie Wallen, Deloa Jones, and Judy Woodworth, plus Cathy Wiggins Why Quilts Win. It was SO hard to choose, but these are teachers that I have seen mostly on short YouTube videos and want more!

I am so new to this I thought I would take several lecture/demo classes. I can only be there Wednesday afternoon and Thursday but I am signed up for Classes with Cathy Wiggins, Angela Walters, Judy Woodworth, Claudia Pfeil, and Kim Stotsenberg...a busy 18 hours! I hope I get to meet a few of you in person!

Dave

I have come to believe that while hands on classes are fun, but I don't learn as much in them as I do from a demo lecture. The hands on classes are so expensive but you are working on a machine that you are unfamiliar with so my quilting usually stinks. You have to share a machine so you are practicing for only half the time. I do better listening and sketching like crazy for less money. I had a hands on class from Sharon Schambsr at MQS. She did give is a DVD with the techniques on it. She went off on tangents and talked about all kinds of things that were not related to new background stipples, bless her heart! We hardly worked on the machines at all because we were enjoying listening to her. The talent that flows out of her in her own unique world is amaizing and she is so friendly so none of us minded the deviation from the class description. We just enjoyed hearing her talk but we paid a much higher price!

Quilt Guy, I decided the same thing. I have never been to a MQX ( or any machine oriented show) and decided to get to know the show and the teachers before committing to the expensive and time consuming hands-on class.

And Jennifer, you also confirmed my thinking on this!! At this point I would rather be listening and taking notes from multiple teachers than struggling on an unknown machine and also trying to listen and take notes from one teacher. Loved your story about Sharon Schamber. I watched/listened to her teach ( didn't take her class but was taking a break from mine) a DSM quilting class at a retreat in our area years ago and she was so entertaining.

I have been second-guessing myself over my decision to forgo a hands-on class, but I feel better now!! :))

I also hope to meet up with some forum members. Blue ribbons on our name tags?

Here is what I am trying to choose between. I can't afford to do all of them, even though I'd love to

Linda Taylor- Quilting as a business  Oct 9th at 4 pm

Lisa Sipes- Flat factor  October 9th at 4

Claudia- Fun Pheiling feathers  Oct 10th from  4-6 (definitely doing this one)

Cathy Wiggins - why quilts win Oct 11th from 9-10 a.m

Linda Taylor- freehand blocks and triangles  Oct. 11 from 1-3

Deloa Jones- Filling in the fillers  Oct 12th from 9-12

Of course some of this depends on what time my hitched ride will go from Seattle to Portland and back. 

Teresa, the offer stands for a ride - I'm going down sometime Tuesday, from my son's in Auburn (just south of Seattle) and have classes through Saturday.  Even at the last minute, if you need a ride one way or the other, just let me know!

Hi Teresa,

I took my first ever hands on class with Jamie Wallen this past April at MQX in NH.  It was amazing.  It was his Mystical Grids and Paisleys class and was a mix of sketching and machine work.  I absolutely loved it and it was well worth the money.  The machines provided were handiquilters which we did not have to share, and I thought that it would be a major issue not knowing how to use the machine.  It really wasn't.  Even though I didn't know the machine, having him walking around, seeing what you were doing, and being available for questions was very valuable and something you just can't get from a video.  I would take another class from him in a heartbeat.  At the end of the class when we were running short on time, he put it to a vote if we wanted to just do sketching or stitching too.  we all voted to pick his brain and did sketching instead of any more machine work.  I will say that his discussion on tension, which he does have a video on youtube, fixed my tension issue in 10 minutes.  People asked a lot of questions that I hadn't even considered and when i got home, my jaw hit the floor when the problem tension I had was completely gone.  LOL, just that alone was worth the price of admission.  I can't wait for next April to take more classes.  you are going to have a blast whatever you choose.  Safe travels!  Melissa

I spent last summer with Linda Taylor via thequiltingschool.com and loved her. I took a Craftsy class from Kim Bruner and Angela Walters, they were great.

I agree with Melissa that videos aren't the same as face to face. My goal this trip is to experience teachers I have little or no exposure to. It is hard to choose and I have to be careful to leave time to spend with the vendors and with the quilts!

And Saturday is set aside for my grand girl, I really can't see her enough.

I guess I will jump in here.  I really prefer the lecture demo class to hands on.  I am such a visual learner, that just watching the rhythm of the teachers movements has really helped me improve my skills.  Every teacher you mentioned is great.  I have only taken one class that I did not like and that was Karen McTavish.  Nothing against her, just not the teacher for me.   Jamie, what a wonderful soul.  He is a kind and patient teacher.  Deloa will teach you great bread and butter quilting!   I attribute a lot of my quilting style to her. My friend Rhonda and I have taken a lot of classes together.  In every class there comes a time where we look at each other and laugh and say "Well, that was worth the price of admission!"  I just love those "aha!" moments. I try to take classes that help me give my customers new and exciting designs.  Have a great time.  I am sure you will have some aha moments no matter who teaches the class.

I've taken two Jamie Wallen classes (mystical paisleys and mystical grids, I think they were called).  Jamie is an awesome teacher, inspiring and very hands on to help you see where there are opportunities for you to be better.  I have also taken  an Angela Walters class Angela's class was a lecture and demo, it was good.  I've also taken a class with our very own Dawn, if you have the chance to take a class with her, i HIGHLY recommend it, she challenges you in the class in a very good way and gives you so many ideas and things to think about your head is overflowing at the end of the class, she is an amazingly talented teacher!

oh, and I should add you WILL meet people from the forum in your classes - that's how I met MelissaNH - we were eye balling the same machine in Jamie's class :-)   BTW, hey Melissa, I am definitely moving back to NH in the fall so hopefully we'll have the chance to meet up again!

have a blast with your classes!

Teresa, Dawn is teaching at Houston this year. If your planning on attending, enrolments for classes only opened this week, so you'd most likely still be able to get into them.

I took a class with Myrna last year when she came to Australia, and it was fabulous. So if you ever get the opportunity to do one with her, definitely take it!!

And I have to agree with you, a class with Linda R. would be a great class to take. Maybe we could persuade her..... :)

I've taken several classes (lecture and hands-on)with Angela and one with Claudia (hands-on), and recommend them both highly!!  For these two, at least, the demo classes work out.  I would say that since most of the practicing you do is with drawing for any new designs you learn, lecture classes work just as well.

Archived