Newbie Help

Mary Kay

Just purchased a 2010 millennium, turned it on and needle went up and down.  What is the sequence of buttons to push to make it run.  I have pushed the black button on left handle then black button on right handle with the blue button that is suppose to be the on button and nothing happens.  Also there are greenish yellow light lit on top of machine but there are only 4 lit are they all suppose to be on.  I would so appreciate some input.  Thanks 

Mary Kay,

When you first turn on the machine, it doesn't know what motor speed or stitch length you want. On the right handle, hold in the black button on the back, and while holding it in press the green button on the right handle. This will raise up your stitches per inch meter.

Next follow the sequence Lyn provided to activate the regulator and then the sewing motor. 

I've attached the 2010 Millie manual for you. Look at the Exercises in the back portion of the manual to learn more about the button sequences. Let us know how else we can help. Welcome to the APQS family!

Millie and Freedom Complete 7-11-12-Compressed.pdf

When you are in stitch regulated mode, nothing is going to happen until you move the machine.  Do you have Quilt Glide on the machine?  It a little knob on the front of the machine.  It will cause the needle to go up and down even when you are not moving the machine. 

It takes awhile to get used to the buttons on the handles and what all of them do.  I hope to upgrade my machine in a couple years, and one of the things I will sorely miss is the controls on the handles that you can adjust without even looking.  Congratulations on purchasing the best machine on the market.

Machine does have quilt guide but I am no wheres ready for that.  I read through the manual started with needle up/down held black button and taped the yellow button and nothing.  When I look at the top of machine I see green lights lit up but only see two on one side and three on the other.  I shut off machine turned it back on and now the needle does not go up and down one time like it did before.  Are all those green lights suppose to be lit up.  It almost seems like there is no power going to these buttons.

Go to the back of the machine and see if those controls work.  Check to be sure all of the wires are plugged in firmly.  Be sure Quilt Glide is off.  Not all of the lights are on all the time.  Call APQS for help if you need to.

Don't worry about the lights. Those are there to help diagnose problems.

When you push the black button in, make sure you hold it in while pushing any of the other buttons. It's an "activator" button, and none of the others will work unless it is held in, EXCEPT, when you want to stop the machine. Hit any button without the black button and it will stop stitching.

Like Dawn said, don't forget to set your stitch length before trying to sew! This is the sequence I use with my students that are new to the machine.

Set the Stitch Length. Then it's:

Black/Green (left hand), Black/Blue (right hand), GO (move the machine). Of course that's AFTER you've hit the Black/Yellow to bring your bobbin thread up. ;)

Don't worry, you'll get the hang of it and it will become automatic after a few days. Then you'll be in :wub: !

I've got the sequence down in my head and on paper.  I tried the exercise in the manual starting with needle/up needle/down made sure I did it correctly and nothing happened.  When the machine came yesterday and it was turned on it made a nice humming noise and the needle automatically went down and then up.  Now when I turn it on the only thing that happens is the led lights come and no nice humming noise and no needle down and up.  Needle up/needle/down does not work on the back either.  Could it possible be a fuse.

Mary Kay,

I have attached another document for you that tells us whether the handles are correctly sending signals to the circuit board. The green lights to which you refer on top of the machine are troubleshooting lights. When you tap one button at a time, one of the lights should come on. Take a look at this document, and then start with your front handle buttons. Begin with the left one, and tap one button at a time (without the black "clutch" button depressed). Even the black button should make a light come on when you tap it by itself (it's called the "command" button on the chart.)

If you find that one of the colored buttons on either handle does not light up the corresponding button on the troubleshooting light panel, make note of which button it is.

Test both the front and the rear handles in the same manner. Once we know this we can then move forward to see what could be going on. It would also be prudent to unplug your front handle set from the side of the machine and then plug it in again (just to make sure the connections are tight). Then do the same for the rear handles. Disconnect the cable under each handle and then re-connect them. Also verify that you have the two encoder cables plugged into the right spot. The wire coming up from your carriage should plug into the right side of the machine, directly into the "carriage encoder" spot.

Double-check that the "head encoder box" is also properly connected. It will go into a jack on the left rear side of the machine marked "head encoder".

If you have lights on the machine but it just won't sew, it isn't a fuse. The fuse on a US machine would make the lights go out, too.

Here's one thing to note:  If you have already turned on the Stitch Regulator by using the "black-green" sequence on the left handle, then the needle up and down button will NEVER work. It only works if the stitch regulator is OFF or inactive. If you can't get the needle to cycle while the regulator's on, try it without the regulator beeping. It should still go up and down. If it doesn't, then we might need to adjust the circuit board a bit.

Let us know how it's going!

Indicator-Troubleshooting Light Grail.doc

Archived