Help! Please

Really getting frustrated. My tension is horrible. I have been reading previous posts on tension for the past several hours. Can not find my issue listed, so hope someone can help me. I just got my Millie last week. I started sewing with it on Saturday and it was sewing beautifully. When I changed my bobbin, had a different issue. After reading on bobbin tension and watching many YouTube videos, I have that down and fixed. The back of my sandwich is perfect, even in the points and circles. My top thread looks like railroad tracks and whiskers in the points. Anyone had this problem before? Is there any help for me?

Thank You,

Diane

Hi Diane,

It's really frustrating at first, but you'll get it.

If you are getting eye lashing of he bobbin thread on the top, you need to loosen the top or tighten the bobbin tension.

Try loosening the top tension first.

Did you watch Jamie Wallen's YouTube on tension?

I think it's the best one for tension there is.

Good luck!

Diane,

If you're getting railroad tracks on top now, the problem has actually reversed as Meg suggests. Now the top tension is too tight and bobbin tension is too loose. What kind of thread are you using? Thicker thread (such as a cotton or the Aurifil that may have been a sample with your new machine) pulls on the needle harder.Those thread types often perform better with a heavier needle (MR 4.5). Keep us posted!

Hi Diane,  here is the Jamie Wallen video I talked about in an earlier post.  It really is a good one.  I had to loosen my bobbin screw a half turn.  since then it's been great.  I do Jamie's three tests every time I change a bobbin.  I'd try the top tension first.  If it seems that nothing is happening when you turn the dial, make sure that the thread is indeed seated properly between the tension disks.  If adjusting the top doesn't seem to work, then move to the bobbin.  I know it's frustrating at first, but you will get through this.  Melissa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1mRhcquZTM

Hi Everyone, Thank you for the suggestions. I have looked at Jamie's video. It was a big help with my first issue. My bobbin lifts off on its side perfectly. Flows from the machine without any tugging or pulling. Beautiful. It's the top tension. The backing of my sandwich is beautiful. Very professional looking, the top looks like a child's doodle pad. Lots of eyelashes and railroad tracks. My top tension, I have it so loose, I think the button may fall off. I double and triple checked to be sure the thread was in the tension dial thingy. It all looks good until I start to sew. The more I do, it's almost like the material is puckering. My thread is 40 tri poly on top-can't remember name and the same in the bottom.

Diane

Sure sounds like there is something in the top thread path that is affecting and tightening the tension...What had you changed when the problem started...you said that you had problems with the bobbin tension but got that figured out.....did it stitch ok after that and then did the problems start with the top tension?  Have you tried using a different thread?  Have you tried just pulling on the top thread without sewing?  Does it flow smoothly then?  is the top thread wrapped around something...or getting stuck on the spool itself?  What size needle do you have in?  Have you changed the needle?  I am sure that there is a fix to this...I am new too so I am sure I will get frustrated by the tension problem at some time....hang in there...Lin

Diane,  it's like learning to drive when there are too many things to remember to coordinate at once!  As you practice your 'coordination' WILL get better!  Cut your top thread off near the spool and re-thread it through all the guides. Be sure, as someone else mentioned, that the thread is in between the tension discs - it can pull freely by hand but still not be in the discs.  Not sure what threads you are using.  If you have them try The Bottom Line or So Fine solid color  in the bobbin and So Fine solid color on top (So Fine variegated is a little thicker) .  See if you can get that combination to work as your baseline.

Check to make sure your thread is not spooling off the spool too loosely  (If it is put the spool in a thread net as used for embroidery thread),  that the thread is looped around each hole of the three hole thread guide before the tensioner, that it goes through the take up lever and the pigtail guides before and after the take up lever.

Good luck

I think I got it!!! I changed thread and only threaded 2 of the holes in the thread guide. I am going to just use the So Fine 50 from now on, Stitches are beautiful again. So back to practicing practicing  practicing. Linda R-LOVE LOVE your book. Darlene E-your books are WONDERFUL! I really did not think I could freehand. It looks good on my practice sandwich. It gives me hope and I just love learning something new everyday. I made blocks on my practice piece and trying something different in each of the blocks. Now that I do not have eyelashes looking back at me, I am a happy person again. WhooHoo!!

Well, okay; was doing okay for about 18 inches, then thread broke. Then broke again. Cleaned out bobbin. WD40 is going to be my best friend, I see it coming. Rethreaded the machine (according to the book), checked the tension thingy (heard the click). Eyelashes are back big time! And now thread keeps breaking. Thank god, its a practice piece. I want it to look the way it did before someone changed things! These elves aren't very nice. Is there a magic wand or a special prayer I am not aware of? I swear I haven't used any swear words or anything either, just really sad right now.

It's frustrating when this happens on a new machine.  It needs to break in, and you need to learn the clues that it's giving you.  Be patient, it will all come together.

I had to use WD40 and oil in the bobbin case area and WD40 in the bobbin case with every bobbin change for the first 6 months that I used my Millie.  After that, I noticed that I could go longer.  Now I only do it between projects.  Doing this helped with inconsistent tension problems.

Once you get the tension balanced between top and bobbin, you'll learn how it feels when you pull the bobbin thread up and when you pull the top thread through the needle.  When you feel it is too tight or too loose, that will be your clue to re-thread before even trying to stitch.

Call APQS service for help.  They are terrific at talking you through the steps to get the tension settings right.

Have you taken a class yet?  Dawn gives a great explanation of thread tension in her classes.  Think of the thread tension as a tug of war between top and bobbin.  When the top is winning (pulling harder) you see eyelashes on top.  To fix this, loosen the top tension.  If that doesn't help, when it's as loose as you can make it and it's still a problem, loosen the bobbin tension and re-adjust the top.  When the bobbin is winning the tug of war, you see eyelashes on the back of the quilt.  To fix this, tighten the top tension.  If that doesn't help, then loosen the bobbin tension and re-adjust the top.  

A service call will likely have you loosen the top and bobbin tensions both to start, until everything is so loose it barely stitches.  Then they will walk you through the tightening steps until you've reached a good balance.

Good luck and hang in there!

Archived