Minky like backing -help needed

My next quilt is for my 13 yr old son, who picked out a Minky-like back. It is more like a shiny fur of a black bear! It is so soft my son was with me in the fabric store and kept rubbing his face into this black fur...hey Mom can you make me a quilt with this?? SURE! I put the seam on the non stretchy edge that will run parallel to the zippers. What do I need to do about the stretchiness of the length? Will it be hard to keep the back tensioned? Do I have to baste?

I think I know the type you mean...  whatever you do, don't cut it on a cutting board, and don't cut it inside, the fibres get absolutely everywhere !!!

As for stretchiness, I found it was OK if I was gentle...  I didn't have wadding, and I had a minky on the top too...  turned out great..  my 13 year old son loves it, although wish I had put wadding in too...  didn't need to baste, but oversize it as it can crumple a little at the sides...  I trimmed mine down a bit afterwards so the crumpled bits got cut off...

Fabric top and furry backer--without batting?

Selvedges attached to the rollers, which I hope places the seam parallel.

I've gotten the best results with some care when advancing. Treat each stitching field as one section. Leave off the clamps and let the two layers relax a bit. Pin the snot out of it all over. This will stabilize the two layers and avoid stretching the back, which will bounce back if it is stretched and leave you with pockets of "puff" on top. Then put a bit of tension on the top to flatten it for stitching. Place your side clamps on top of a couple of crossed pins at each point so you don't stretch the backer and only tighten enough to keep the edges in line.

Open quilting works best. I did a throw for my soon-to-be DIL with polar fleece on one side and furry leopard print on the other--no batting. I stitched a simple four-inch grid and it was beautiful! Another bonus was I stitched an inch in from each edge and then pinked the perimeter. No binding!!

The "fur" was pretty long but much of it eased out from under the stitches when it was laundered.

Have fun--it'll be great!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived