Avoid Hitting Clamps - Side Extender Top & Bottom Photos

dancingstitcher

Hitting the clamps when stitching was really frustrating and I was on the Sharon Schamber web site where she described using 1" PVC pipe encased in fabric with large diameter clamps to fit the pipe and new elastic.

Here's my solution. Instead of pipes, I used a heavy duty yardstick (or you can glue two together), cut in half, sew into a sleeve of doubled over fabric. My machine already had great clamps and elastic.

I just pin the double fabric to the quilt back on the sides with each advance of the quilt and it takes just a minute to do both sides.

In this underside view you can see why I made the fabric so wide - it clears the Hartley Base Extender. I can also fold over the fabric for a shorter attachment when I don't have the Hartley in position, but think I'll make a second set to use when I just need to clear the head.

Now you just have to remember to not keep stitching your pantos onto it. I thought a contrast fabric might keep me alert, plus the fabric was a gift from Mom.

Vicki

Hi Vicki,

I'm on my third Community quilt for our guild with my new-to-me Ultimate II. As you know, some of these quilts are layered with barely any edge of backing or batting to attach the side tensioners to.

I have been using the long yard sticks to keep my clamps from hitting my Hartley base expander...Your idea is just perfect for my situation when working on these quilts.

BTW---I have a lot of my own quilts to work on, but the Community quilts give me the much needed practice right at this time until I get the feel for my Ultimate II. I'm going to make me some of your side tensioner sleeves as soon as I get finished on my currant quilt. Thank you-thank you for posting the pictures. :)

Vicki, I made myself a pair about 6 months ago also after seeing the idea on Sharon's website. It takes just a minute to pin/unpin and roll; but that gives me a little break and then everything also remains square. When I put the clamps on the wooden dowel in the sleeve I feel it holds over the entire length of the dowel and not just at the places where the clamps hold; not stretching just holding. Isn't it great we can share these ideas that are very simple and inexpensive!!!

It's snowing again in southern Iowa - we are in for a bad night on the roads. Good night to be home by the fire and guilting up a "storm".

Sharon.

Archived