Millie, Freddie, or Lucey?

Can anyone "sell" me on a particular machine over the others? I am a complete newbie and will be ordering a new machine sometime in the next couple of months. I keep going back and forth over which machine I should get. I can only fit a 10' frame in my room if that makes any difference. I plan on quilting for myself and charity but if I should ever get good enough, would do some to help pay for it too. I will be going to Houston in Nov. and will have the time and opportunity to try out the different machines but I'm chomping at the bit and doing all of the research that I can in advance.

Thanks for any and all advice,

Vicki in Colorado

Hi Vicki. That's a tough question to answer. So much depends on your budget & what your long term goals are etc. As for a 10' table, my sister managed for many years, and only declined quilts that were over 100" on the shortest side. Those she sent to me.

Here's what I like about each of the models:

Lucey - GREAT price! for a 26", stitch regulated machine.

Freedom - A few more bells & whistles.

Millennium - For me, the BIG difference between the Freddie and Millie is the electronic channel locks. I use those locks on every single quilt I do. They're worth more that the $600 difference to me. The bobbin thread cutter comes in handy sometimes, but it's not deal breaker for me.

My advice always, is to get the most you can afford so you're not trying to upgrade later. Check out the options on all of the models. I wouldn't be without the Auto Fabric Advance for anything, and it's not available for the Lucey! It saves me SO much time and energy, BUT if you can't afford it now, it can always be added later. Quilt Glide is only available on Millie and Freddie and is wonderful for intricate stitching, SID around applique and plain ol' SID (stitch in the ditch). The BLISS table upgrade is something else that will increase your accuracy and performance immediately. A LOT less stress on your body too. Maybe I'm just in love with it because my body ain't so young anymore. LOl

Once you get your hands on the machines, I think you'll figure out pretty quickly which one needs to come home with you!

We're here for you if you have any more questions. IF?! haha

Hi Vicki,

In addition to the features Darlene mentioned above, just letting you know that the Millie and Freedom machines now also include a top thread break sensor and low bobbin indicator. 

Keep an eye on our Calendar on the website as well. The gang has been adding several "road shows" during the past couple of weeks. One of those might be headed close to you so that you could get a sneak peak before your Houston trip this October. :)

I got a Lucey...mainly because of the budget....but...what I really wanted a bigger machine for was to do my own quilting on bedsized quilts....I had a smaller nine inch machine on a sagging 10 foot frame...which was getting really frustrated....I don't want to do computerized quilting....I don't intend to ever do quilts for customers, and I don't think I will ever do show or art quilts...just want to make utility quilts....that are used and loved...so my thinking was...that Lucey would be just fine for me....After my excellant beginning class by the local rep up here....I sort of am tempted to strive for doing some of the fancier type quilting...I got just a little of taste of ruler work, marking your quilt, panto's, how to develope quilting designs...AHHHHH!  If I were younger!  Anyway....I am sure I will have fun with my Lucey....and I can do those things on my Lucey...but...I do agree with getting the most machine you can afford  (unless you already have had the best machine and find you don't need all those fancy features...but that is another embroidery machine story)  I did get bliss with mine as I am getting older and have some physical issues....oh...and I have had some thoughts that maybe Lenni would have been fine too as I am rather short and was surprised to find out just how big a space 26 inches is....but I am sure I am going to like this space...but if I am doing smaller quilting design work...I probably will just use a smaller area and roll a bit more often as the far reaches of the 26 inches is quite a stretch!  I don't know how old you are, but there will always be a newer machine with more bells and whistles out there...just like new cars!  :)  Lin

I decided to check out the local quilt shop that sells APQS for some rental time. I have to take 3 classes that last 2-3 hours first then can rent the machine. $150 for the classes and $25/hr for rental. Then if I buy a machine from them, I get the 150 back. I think this sounds more than reasonable. The machine is a Millie. I'm going to do this but must wait until school starts as I babysit grandkids on my days off. I also have the option of renting an HQ Avante machine at another shop but since I've already ruled out HQ, I think that time on the Millie will be money better spent. 

Truthfully, I can afford whichever machine that I want but that is a lot of money to think about. No sense spending it on something that I won't use as that will buy a lot of fabric!

Vicki in Colorado

I am a Lenni owner.  Had I known how much I would enjoy my purchase, I would have chosen a Freedom.  I don't quilt for money but do for charity.  I agree 100% with the advice to buy the best you can afford the first time.  Wish I had.  Mary 

I love the Millie and think the world of the features it has.  I loved it so much that I bought a second one!  In both cases, I never regretted having all those features or throat space.  But each person should try the various machines and they are all nice!  Karen

I have a Freedom - got it for a great price on a "demo" sale.  I started out with a Lenni, but found the 18" throat a bit restricting, but my main reason for upgrading was the bliss table and the automatic fabric advance - I have used the Quilt glide on applique - great feature!  I would have liked the channel locks, but am OK without. 

APQS roadshow is the bomb...in a REALLY good way! lots of time to see each machine, try them out for yourself and get ALL your questions answered by the experts!

I just got my Millie, so I can't really address your questions directly. I can however fully agree with what JeannieB says...absolutely fantastic! Great information and an opportunity to try out all the machines. If you can make it to one, don't miss the opportunity!

Archived