Thread diagrams for Newbie

Two questions (so far):

1.  I have the M bobbin and doing my first quilt, I had too much thread breakage.  I did not use the pigtail on the bobbin.  So I will try that BUT, looking at the diagram in the book is very confusing (page 88).  Does the thread go through the regular tension finger and then the the pigtail, or do you bypass the regular tension finger.

2.  Is there a single page that shows how to thread (upper thread) the machine?  There are pieces of the diagram on several pages, but I did not find the page that has the entire thread path in a single view.  Can someone point me in the correct direction?  I wanted to rethread when I started getting thread breakage but was not comfortable without a single view of the thread path.  (I changed the needed and checked the bobbin thread, and thought it strange that the breakage mostly occurred on spiral type design)

Thank you.

Hi, Winnie! I can't help you with the pigtail part of your question, as I've only dealt with an L bobbin, but as soon as I get home, I can email you my "cheat sheet" on re-threading the machine. I was like you at the beginning, afraid to unthread for fear I'd never get it right! Basically, it's like this:

Thread comes off top of cone and through the first loop above the cone. Loop should be directly over the center of the cone.

Next, thread comes forward, straight through one (and ONLY one) of the three holes in the guide midway down the head.

Thread next goes through another 3-hole guide. Normally it comes into the top hole from the back, spirals around to come into the second hole down, also from the back, and then the same through the last hole. This removes the 'spin' in the thread. If the thread you are using is spun the opposite way, you might have to reverse this, and you might change the path for more 'temperamental' threads, but use the normal path for now.

From the 3-hole guide, the thread goes clockwise around the tension assembly and up over the tension spring - make sure the thread is seated between the tension discs.

Then the thread goes under the 'shepherd's hook' guide and up through the take-up lever, down through the pigtail on the side of the head, through the pigtail above the needle and into the needle.

Sounds scary hard, but it won't be long before it's second nature!

I'm on my way home from Seattle tomorrow - you want me to stop by on my way through? I'd be glad to! Otherwise we still have our tentative appt. for Tues. morning....

Great info about the spin, Barb, I know this has probably been stated before in this forum but I haven't found it and its exactly what I have been wondering about. My only question is which spin uses the normal threading, and how do you tell which spin is on the thread? Oops that is two questions, sorry!!

Cathy I loop over the side of the three hole thread guide for polyester and most threads.

I find cotton threads behave better if I go down ,Up, Down through the three hole guide.

Ronwiny I hope you don't have the thread senesor on your machine as that ads a step or two to Barb's directions.

Cathy I loop over the side of the three hole thread guide for polyester and most threads.

I find cotton threads behave better if I go down ,Up, Down through the three hole guide.

Lyn, that sounds like what I do. I always seem to need less tension and less twist added to cotton so I weave up and down.

Polyester seems to like up and around, but I have never tried down and around. I will have to do some experimenting.

I do notice sometimes a loosening up of the twist on some threads. I will need to do a better job of documenting the thread, the twist, the threading technique.

I have never made note of different twists, and so do not really have a connection yet of how to thread a given twist, but I suspect it makes a difference.

I guess if I stuck to the same thread I would not care about any of this, but I collect thread almost as much as fabric and I am trying to use it all on my Millie. That can be a challenge!

European threads have a different twist than threads made in Japan, USA or elsewhere. Aurifil & Genziana are made in Italy, so have the opposite twist of the Superior threads. Just look at where your thread is made and you'll have a good clue as to how it's twisted. It's my understanding that the "European" twist is so patented that other countries have to use the opposite twist when they manufacture their thread. I've probably said that all wrong, but you get the idea. :P

• 3 months later...

Barb could you email that thread  cheat sheet. I'm still having problems with my thread breaking. I have also been putting the needle in with the groove to the front. Someone told me to put the groove to the back but now it makes a clinking sound. I'm almost ready to find a hammer.

Debbie

Barb could you email that thread  cheat sheet. I'm still having problems with my thread breaking. I have also been putting the needle in with the groove to the front. Someone told me to put the groove to the back but now it makes a clinking sound. I'm almost ready to find a hammer.

Debbie

Debbie,

Lyn is correct, groove in front, curve of the scarf to the back. I hope it wasn't an APQS person who told you wrong....

And I will email the threading info to you once I get back from Hawaii. And call me early next week and we'll figure out what's up with your machine.

Barb, it was but she may have been confused. I turned it back around the way I had it and put in a larger needle. I got half way down the row before it broke again. At one spot though, it was like a snag and the top thread was about 2" pulled to the back. I have checked for burrs and cleaned everything. it is just plain frustrating. It takes longer to rethread the machine than it does to quilt the whole da r n quilt.

Thanks for your help. When do you get home? I posted a note on wwf also. LOL

Saw the other note, Deb. I will be out all day tomorrow, servicing, training and taking Catherine to dinner, but I should be available on Wed. until my flight takes off at 2, Hawaiian time. Call my cell, or call me on Thursday.

If the top thread is being pulled down into the bobbin like that, you likely have a burr in there somewhere. In the meantime, try dousing your hook assembly with WD-40 and let it set overnight, then do a thorough cleaning. If there's gunk or thread stuck in there somewhere, that might loosen it up. Call me and we'll figure it out.

Archived