Let's do this again--your "best" goof-up.

• 3 months later...

So, I don't log into the forum very often but here is my "I'm an idiot" story.

My director at work gave me a quilt to do.  She put the backing into the bag.  It was two pieces that needed to be seamed.  I am trying to remember if she told me that or not but I think she did.  I go to put the backing on the machine only to discover that there is not enough backing.  I call her and explain the issue.  She was really puzzled as she was sure there was enough backing.  We discussed it, and I added black fabric around the sides to get it big enough. 

After I was all done quilting and putting it back into the bag she had given me, guess what I found???  Yup, the other piece of backing.  Boy did I feel stupid.  Moral of this story, completely open the bag and failing that dump it all out.  She and I still laugh about my senior moment. 

Gail

I now remember 2 incidents that weren't funny, though I can laugh about them now.  I'm sure one was since July.

Himself and I were getting ready to quilt and I'd turned the machine on on waste sandwich was moving it very slow

with SR on.. he asked me something I had to point at to show him, and in doing so, I also moved the hand that is

usually resting on the quilt.. and stitched right into my finger.  It opened a flap longer than 1/8 inch, and I was able to

grow it back on.   I also hit my knuckle with the needle bar bolt, and ripped it open.  That was the most painful.

Most embarrassing, was quilting  along and a seam was sewn into the quilt,  Through the hopping foot.   That was

some very scary moments frogging it, but somehow managed without damaging the quilt,  if I remember right.

Getting some giggles out of answers, though they really weren't funny.  I've donemost of the above, except getting a rag caught..

I left that up to him.

Rita

I made a big boo boo on the quilt I just finished. Thankfully it is just for me. I decided to quilt the outer border with some simple medallion circles on my embroidery machine. I had changed the thread color and forgot to change it back. So I have a lot of orange medallions and one gold/orange one. Luckily, the colors are so close you don't really notice. Darlene, starting a notebook of mistakes is a good idea!  BTW, what is "frogging"?

Put in a bobbin case incorrectly and when I started up the machine it threw the bobbin case across the room and made a dent in the wall!

Cut my leader

Rolled over the quilt back getting black gunk on the customer quilt backer.

Completely finished quilting a quilt of my own and hate it (hated it the whole time I worked on it) and now it needs to be frogged and re-quilted! 

Oh, so many more......

Well... anyone get a black eye?  Yep :wacko: happened to me. 

I was trying to see inside the machine where the arm is moving up and down with the thread.... being really close (obviously) trying to see inside and accidently hit the 'on' button... yep arm moving fast up and down hitting my face... knocked me several times before I responded enough to get the heck out of the way!

Can't fix 'stupid'.... :rolleyes:  :P

Let's see, probably the worst I've done was to pin the backer to the take up leader with the backer going over the leveler bar instead of under it. So, I unpinned it to put it under the bar as it should be. Phone rang, went to answer, came back, repinned backer to take up learder, rolled everything up tight, and realized I had pinned it back on the same way a second time. Turned everything off and went to bed. Unpinned everything and fixed it the next day. As Laura said, you can't fix 'stupid'.

More recently I advanced the quilt with the needle down and ripped an inch long whole through all three layers of the quilt. Luckily it was where I had stopped the machine after sewing down the quarter inch from the edge, so the binding covered to boo boo. And it was my quilt.

While my husband and I were looking at the bobbin assemble, he took the needle plate off all the way. I just take 1 screw off and swing it to the side. Then we managed to put it n backward and the hole was NOT under the needle! Bang! Broken needle and rough spit on the cover place. Any least it didn't throw the timing off! Yeah stupid!!

I have to say it is funny to read, although it wasn't at the time it happened. 

It is also good to see some of you longer term members back and posting.

We need a lot more to come back too.

It is good to see newbies posting too.   I'd really like it if the no names

would pick a false name just something for us to call you..when posting

a message to you on the forum, or in a message.

Thanks,

Rita

Just my way of saying, if there is a way to mess up, I've probably done it at least once!

Ditto me! :rolleyes:

Some that come to mind are: 

• Didn't realize how low my cone of thread was and I ran out of top thread; had to buy more!
  • Followed a pantograph an entire row only to realize I ran out of bobbin about 1/3 of the way through, so 2/3 of the row was not quilted.
  • Had to frog an entire quilt because I had put too much tension on the rollers (the backer fabric was the stretchy fleece material) and when I released the quilt it scrunched and puckered up.
  • Put my needle bar plate on backwards and when I took my first stitch, it broke the needle.
  • Didn't measure the backer fabric before I loaded it and when I was at the bottom of the quilt, I realized the backer fabric was several inches too short! (I've done this numerous times, so you would think I would have learned by now...NOT :wacko: )
  • I wasn't paying attention when I was advancing the quilt with the needle in the down position and caused a 1/4 inch tear in the border of a quilt top.
  • Accidentally quilted a pearl head corsage pin in between the quilt top and batting
  • Chipped the corner edge of my ruler while performing Sitch in Ditch.
  • Loaded a quilt top on upside down -the seams were facing up. Had to take it back off the roller and load it right side up (or seam sides down)
  • I could go on..........

Archived