yankiequilter

Design help needed, I am really stumped!

I am quilting the guild's 2014 raffle quilt.  I have ideas for the blocks and borders, but the sashing and cornerstones have me stumped.  The pattern is Judy Martin's 'Kyoto Gardens', scrappy with no theme to the fabric.  Red/white/blue/black/gold/cream colors.  The colors in the sashing and cornerstones wind around the blocks, so something continuous is a possibility but I do not know what it would be.  Help!  :unsure:

post-3802-0-85775600-1375211703_thumb.jpg

post-3802-0-95343900-1375211718_thumb.jpg 

EF895DFA46EABF5DCB57E11F31E1DE91.png

Carmen in the Ozarks

I was thinking ribbon candy in the white sashing strips but I think it would look better with straight lines instead.  Maybe go from join of cornerstone to a point half way at the edge then back to cornerstone and end up with a diamond shape then you could put a curl in the  cornerstone cream, do the diamond on the bottom, back to the beginning then a curly line through the centre back to the next one.

Sounds hard maybe I should try drawing it, in my head it would be continuous.

Lyn Crump   Hand Guided 2013 Millenium Blissed and Gliding    APQS Sales Rep SE Qld Australia   www.busyquilting.com.au   On Facebook and Instagram as BusyQuilting

Attitude is everything - So pick a good one!

I plan to put a swirling design within the star, keeping the stitching within the spikes of the star, then do some cc in the neutral squares and triangles around the star.  Feather in the neutral border, curling into the neutral triangles.  Either a cable or arcs in the red border.  Outside pinwheels maybe modified TT within each wedge.  I have completed the SID around the blocks and borders, where appropriate.  For the sashing and cornerstones I need H-E-L-P <_<   Any suggestions for other areas of the quilt are most welcome.  Thank you!

Carmen in the Ozarks

One way to fill each surround continuously is by treating each block-surround as a unit. You can start in one corner and stitch running curls all around to end at your starting place. Start in one center point of a pinwheel and going clockwise, stitch a curl that curves towards the outside. Then stitch three more going down/up/down in the rectangle so the last curl curves towards the inside.. Now place a curl in the corner piece, and as you backtrack throw out a spike or petal from the top of the curl to the sharp outside angle and meet the intersection of the pinwheel block, and then back again. Backtrack down that same curl to where it meets the previous curl and stitch the first curl (facing inside) in the next rectangle. Stitch three curls-one in the pinwheel piece and then a line to the center of the pinwheel block. This sets you up to stitch it all again. Stitch around to the beginning. Then your decision is whether to keep all the curls going clockwise or alternate. I'd stitch them all the same so the pinwheel blocks all have the same spin. I hope you can make sense of this. My picture capacity is full so if you need a diagram I can email you a sketch. But I bet if you draft the blocks or use vinyl and sketch on the top you can figure it out.

Linda Rech

Finely Finished Quilts

Millennium on Bliss rails--hand-guided

http://www.topperquilttools.com

Straight lines would go nice with all the curves and feathers.......   it would make your blocks stand out.      Try sketching it out to see how it would look with your border and blocks.

This is the fun part,  plus quilting! :)

post-4246-0-24976300-1375280036_thumb.jpg

Rebecca 

Northern Illinois

www.whitebydzine.blogspot.com  

If you want to touch the past, touch a rock. If you want to touch the present, touch a flower. If you want to touch the future, touch a life.     Michael Bernoff

Thank you all for the ideas.  I am trying to stay away from ruler work because of the time involved and I can't charge the guild what it is worth.   Lyn, I do like the simple lines of the diamond design.  Rebecca, the detail added with the pebbles and lines look great.  And I did think of ribbon candy through part of it, but coming to the points has given me pause on that idea.

Linda, I live in the "Show Me" state now, that is my excuse to ask if you have time to send an email with the sketch.  yankiestitcher @ gmail . com   Thank you!

I have a 24" x 36" plastic grid that I have drawn the piecing design on with wet erase marker and I scribble designs with a dry erase marker.  It works out very well for working through ideas or just getting the rhythm of stitching a particular design.

Carmen in the Ozarks

I have no suggestions but one. Quilt what you know, and the rest will come to you. That's how I approach every quilt. Once it's stabilized, I have the freedom to go in and quilt the parts I'm sure of. As I'm quilting, ideas for the other areas come to me. I've NEVER been able to visualize or plan the quilting for a whole quilt all at once. I gave up trying a long time ago.

I quilt the same way I would write a test in high school. Read through the whole test first (Stabilize the quilt.) Answer the questions you know the answers to first (Quilt the designs you know). Mull over the ones you don't know while answering the ones you do know (Think about the other spaces while you're quilting) and lastly, answer the other questions last. Just the way my mind works and it usually turns out better than if I'd tried to plan it all out in the first place.

My dentist says I'm "wired funny". Guess that applies to my brain too! :blink:

14EABCCA535C11FE692767BF2F0B87E2.png

DIGITIZED Designs for Computerized Quilting

The POCKET GUIDES to Freehanding

eppd@telus.net

Linda, you are a quilting angel!  Thank you soooooo much!  Easy design that will go quickly.  Any thoughts on the neutral area?  The widest section is 1-3/4" so I think I have to quilt something in it.  Ribbon?

Darlene, thank you for describing a very clear method to approach quilting.  I mostly do exactly as you have stated.  If I had to know how I was going to quilt every section before I started then I would never start.  :lol:     Sometimes getting started is the hardest part.

Carmen in the Ozarks

Carmen and Darlene,  

I love your approach to the method of quilting your quilts.  I'm one of those that thinks I have to have the whole design figured out before I start to quilt, therefore I fail to start many quilts because I don't know what to quilt in every part of the quilt.  Maybe I need to take a lesson from you and just start with what I know I can do and the rest might come.  Thank you so much for sharing.

412BDE6C5166A4E2125C0B3CE63F8831.pngHeirloom Quilter APQS Millennium 2008

In the white sashings you could put one side of a feather and the other side in the next one.

Myrna Ficken A Quilter's Choice - APQS West, 5787 S. Gallup, Littleton, CO 80120;  Store 435-414-2026 Mobile 435-229-2703  myrnaf@q.com  www.aquilterschoice.com community. Look me up on Facebook   A Quilter's Choice - APQS West

Darlene, thanks for stating my way of approaching a quilt so well!! And now I don't feel so impulsive for putting a quilt on my machine before I know exactly how I will quilt it.

I never have any notion how to help those who need some inspiration, and I so appreciate all of you who have such great ideas.

Cathy Hamilton - M&M'ed 2008 Millennium - Part-time Quilter, Full-time Lover of Quilts