Problems again

Kat Leo

Dawn and Amy,  I am having some problems with email addresses coming back to I will try and contact you here.  Today while quilting the same thing happened as before.  The needle jammed and broke.  I was in the middle of a square without any seems or other incumberances.  I don't know why the needle would jam and break, quilt path froze as well.  I put a new needle in used the up/down needle button and the needle bent immediately.  I did the same thing with the second needle, same thing happened.  The bobbin case was very difficult to get out after the original needle breaking, put in a new bobbin case which was difficult to get inserted.  The first bobbin case looks like it could be deformed a bit.  I put another needle in and turned the fly wheel by hand and the needle hit and bent.  What in the world is going on?  Are others having this same kind of problem?  I have quilted 5 quilts since I got Millie back home without a single problem until today.  Help again.  I am frustrated and at a loss as to what in the world is happening.  Look forward to hearing from you soon,

Thanks, Kat

I would be taking your hook assembly out and checking it for burrs from the broken needle.

Take the needle plate cover off, then without a needle in the machine needle up down a few times and look to see if you can see any scratches on the hook assembly.

Then check your DVD/manual for timing the machine.

It sounds like the timing is off.

Is the needle hitting the bobbin case, or race, before anything else, or is it possible it is glancing off the throat plate, and

then hitting the innerds at an angle just enough to mess up the race, hook and/or bobbin case?

Possibly the needle bar needs adjusting is something else to look at.

Rita

OK, I need mechanical training!!!  I have Millie apart.  The throat plate is off.  I found immediately that the hook finger was loose and flopping around, causing the problem I am sure.  I have tightened it up and placed it according to the instructions (I think).  Turning the fly wheel the needle is still hitting the hook, does this mean I need to move the hook assembly back?  I just got her back from having the needle shaft replaced, new hook assembly installed and a complete check up after this happend last month.  I have emailed and placed a call to Amy, I know she is so busy and i have not heard from her.  Thought maybe I could tackle this myself.  Barb, there isn't anyone in my area.  Beth is a sweetheart and become a good friend, but she is in Portland and i am in Sisters.  Grrrrrr.  I want her as my close and personal neighbor!!!  I have mentioned to Dawn that I would like to be trained to repair our machines just because there isn't anyone close to help us out.  I always told my husband I was not put on this earth to be a carpenter or a mechanic, but maybe I was wrong.  I am getting quite a nice collection of tools that I am learning the names of and how to use them.  Sometimes the anger issue with him passing comes screaming back in situations like this.  I think I can, I think I can, I know I can learn to do this...

Thanks to everyoone, keep pouring in hour thoughts as they all help me to learn.

Kat

Kat, most of what we need to do on our machines can be done by the owner, including timing.  Sometimes it takes a friendly voice on the phone, walking you through what you need to do.  Give Beth a call - she can help you with the retiming.  Hang in there!!!  And you might want to consider taking the Maintenance Class given at the APQS Factory in Carroll, Iowa - it is well worth the time and expense!!!

And I KNOW you can do this!!!!

The hook does need to skim the needle; as that is how it picks up the thread. Mine just barely flexes the needle.

And KUDOS to Dave Jones (DeLoa's DH) who was here and went over my whole set up and machine. He was WONDERFUL! Kinda looks like Larry The Cable Guy, and just as funny! My M & M wheels were not on right; and I need a grounding strap for it that they did not send. Now, my 'chine is huummin and a strummin all over God's world! My stitches have NEVER looked so great! 

The Hook needs to skim the needle not  STOP the needle right?  Just talked to Beth and she is on her way to a wonderful week end in Florance, luck girl.  Toby, pick up your puppy face and have fun with your friends...  I am going to play around with the finger a little more while waiting for Amy to call.  Thanks again for all the moral support, I just put my big girl panties on, maybe that was the problem all along, no panties!!! :D

Kat

Kat, if the hook is actually hitting the needle, then, yes, the hook is too far forward.  The hook should just kiss the back of the needle.  Do double-check, though, that you have your needle in the right way - if it's in backwards, the hook might hit it.  And it's easy to put the needle in backwards - don't ask me how I know..... :blink:

I maintain that there are two kinds of longarm quilters: those that have put a needle in backwards, and those that will.  It didn't happen to me until a couple of years ago - don't know how the needle rotated from looking at it to putting it in the needle bar, but it did.  Key symptom here: the needle goes down but it doesn't come back up.  Then you rotate the flywheel backwards, bring up the needle, take it out and put it in right..... (we need a red-faced icon!) ;)

Kat,  There is a video of timing the machine by Amy that is really good to watch.  If you can run it while doing the timing process, stop and run some more and check on the machine it helps a  lot.

Pretty sure it is on the website , under the product care tab, instructional videos.  Lots of other good ones from Amy there too.

http://www.apqs.com/instructional-videos/?vid=xWeqiuvwk5E

Here is the link.

Thanks everyone for all your help.  I did end up talking with Amy this afternoon, she said for me to watch the timing video again and print out the new timing printout.  It is much better than the old one I had.  Since it was time for Amy to go home she said to study the information and we would tackle the problem together in the morning.  Well being anxious to get back to quilting I jumped in and Timed my Millie.  The "tick" Amy talks about at the end of the video is quite audible to me.  Maybe a little to loud, I will talk with Amy in the morning about this loud ticking.  But the good news is that I finished the quilt I was working on and the stitch quality was good.  More later...

Kat

• 2 weeks later...

I maintain that there are two kinds of longarm quilters: those that have put a needle in backwards, and those that will.  It didn't happen to me until a couple of years ago - don't know how the needle rotated from looking at it to putting it in the needle bar, but it did.  Key symptom here: the needle goes down but it doesn't come back up.  Then you rotate the flywheel backwards, bring up the needle, take it out and put it in right..... (we need a red-faced icon!) ;)

Thank you, Barb!   I broke a needle tonight and couldnt figure out why Lenni would go needle down, but not back up.   After I read this, I changed the needle position and all is well!   This forum is great!

Archived