1930's Aunt Grace Sampler Custom Quilting and a Ribbon!

Oh my!  It has been a while since I've been on!  The good thing is I've been quilting.  I've decided that July must be the "hump-day" for months of the year because now that it's over it seems like I have quilts lining up left and right!!!  I'm so excited though, this is my first holiday season as a long arm quilter so I'm looking forward to being BUSY!!!   :)

Here is a quilt I'm working on for my new quilting friend Deanna.  Believe it or not this is her first quilt, and she is going to gift it to her Mother.  She has been ill so it's very special to her - we both have been teary eyed over it as I've been quilting and sharing pictures with her!  I have a busy few days ahead so I wanted to share with my quilting pals before I forget.  I am SO proud of this so far!!!

9433654270_c63a47a846.jpg

OH - and I also wanted to share that Linda, the customer I quilted the round robin for a few months ago, won a ribbon for "Best Wall Hanging" at her local fair!!!  I'm kind of excited!  I don't know how much my quilting played a role but how exciting to be a part of a ribbon winning quilt!!   :)

9433651902_8dcdef3172.jpg

I can see why you have quilts line up to do!  :)  I love what you are doing!  I am sort of scared to get out there and start the real quilts....I have 8 lined up now to get going as I wanted to keep doing the quilting when I got started and not have to stop and piece another one....hopefully, after the big rummage sale we are getting ready to do, I will have time to just quilt for a while....I needed to clear out a lot of stuff so I can focus better on my piecing and quilting without having to search all over and move things around to make the space. 

Thank you Kath and Liam!!  It is so easy to doubt your work and doubt your ability - I've still got a lot of practice yet to be had and many skills I've yet to master but it feels great to be making pretty quilts and seeing happy faces when customers see their quilting.  I truly LOVE this so very much!!! 

Thank you sewingpup!  This is only about the third or fourth custom quilt I've done and this is the most densely quilted one to boot - but I'm getting better with every one and I LOVE LOVE LOVE quilting these kinds of quilts!!!  I was scared too but part of why I bought the long arm is because I am a stay at home Mom first and foremost and sewing is the only way I can make an income and be here for my kids.  I have made tote bags and quilts and done some custom sewing for people over the years, but quilting on the long arm is the first time I've really felt I was justly compensated for the time and skill that goes into this craft.  Not to mention I LOVE it like crazy and I love the people.  It's super awesome because we get to work with equally creative people who GET what we are doing.  :)

Very nice quilting!!!    I love the sampler,   don't ya just love it when you have free range and can quilt your heart out???    I visited your blog last night and love the work you are doing....... ;)    I've been quilting since 2007 and never entered a quilt until I was talked into it this summer.    It was fun and exciting to see my own quilt hanging for others to enjoy and hear such nice compliments weather I won a ribbon or not.    I have a passion for quilting and I love desiging.    So my advise is  GO FOR IT!!!! :P

Thank you!  I love quilting samplers too because you can do something different in each block!  Thank you so much regarding the work on my blog.  I'm a bit all over the place at times because I love everything!!!  :)  I keep saying I'm going to enter something and still, I have never entered anything ever.  I have an applique quilt I think I might quilt up and enter in a local show - if I can get my butt in gear and finish it!!

Thank you Laura!  It's getting better and better every time!!  :)

There you are Marci!!  ;)  Thank you!!

Carmen thank you!!  I am having so much fun with this quilt...I am almost on the last row.  Don't ya know the last bobbin change i put my bobbin in backwards and didn't realize it - so I have to rip an entire block of PEBBLES!  Oh no fun at all!  I decided to call it quits for tonight and I'll rip tomorrow...then finish the last row hopefully and borders.  I will post pictures of the finished quilt when done.  I am in love with this quilt!!

Valerie, fantastic job on your Aunt Grace quilt ... it's looking marvelous! Also it's a small world because I just saw your customer's quilt and ribbon at the county fair yesterday. I also had seen it at quilt guild when it was just a round robin flimsy and not yet quilted. The quilting looks great! When I showed my husband your post this morning he was impressed that a quilt top was sent all the way to Ohio to be quilted. I said that you must have a wonderful reputation and that's why it was mailed out to you. Can't wait to see the rest of your Aunt Grace quilt. :)   

Tami - I'm at my limit for "likes" again!!!  I will like your post tomorrow!  Thank you so much for your kind words - and isn't it AMAZING how small the quilting community is???  Once we jump online it's like we all live in a small town together.  I really LOVE that!  

How awesome it is that you saw this quilt live and in person!!!  I wish I could see it!!!   :)  I think it is amazing too that you saw it before quilting.  I think it really turned out fantastic.  I sure hope that I DO have a good reputation and that quilts continue to be sent my way.  I love what I am doing and I am grateful that I have people who support me and trust me with their precious works of art....they truly are works of art!!!  Linda has become a good customer of mine and she sees the vision of where I'd like to take my quilting.  That is an amazing thing!  She trusts me and I'm grateful for it - and she allows me to quilt my heart out, something I also appreciate about her!!  

Thank you so much for sharing this, you made my day!   :)

Oh Nigel, I am so grateful for that very very kind comment!!!  That means more to me than you can know.  It's my dream to be that good some day!!!  I have a quilt right now in progress that I haven't had time to work on that I'm really going to put the time and extra hours in to complete.  I really want to enter a few shows.  I have never entered anything anywhere before!  If for nothing more than to share and improve.  *fingers crossed*  :)

You have every right to be proud, Very Proud of the work you are doing.  I so wish my ability would return,

but now I have the Side Saddle so can tell it what to do and go for it.

I'm heading that way shortly.

Congratulations on a beautiful job and a great eye pleasing wayof quilting.  It's beautiful.

Rita.

Valerie,

You have done a such a beautiful job on this sampler quilt!!

I suspect your reputation for beautiful work is older than your long arming days. Your transformation from DSM to LA has been such a phenom!!

I won't be surprised to hear of you (and hopefully seeing too:)) winning all on your own in the near future.

Archived