Invisifil from Wonderfil Questions

I just realized it is Saturday - so it's going to be a few days before they get back to me!  I want to order a box of 5 cones from Wonderfil of Invisifil thread.  I have a very densely heirloom quilting plan for a custom quilt coming in sometime this week and the customer wants to see texture not thread.  I thought Invisifil would be a good choice.  My questions are:

- Because they are in Canada and I'm in Ohio - is the shipping really long?  Has anyone in my area ordered there?  Also was the price really high on a box of cones?

- I have been reading here that they USED to make you order a box of one thread color - am I correct that they have changed this?  You can order a box with all five different colors?

I don't want to spend $75 on thread for one quilt, but my thoughts are that if it's only $40 and a reasonable price for shipping then I'll have some thread on hand for future customers.  But I don't want to spend a fortune either since I'm still a new business.  I think if the shipping is too crazy I'll order Bobbin Line from Fil-Tec as the shipping is $5 for two day...but I really want to try the Invisifil and I think it'll be perfect for this project.

Thank you for any help!  :)

www.redrockthreads.com    carries Wonderfil thread and the shipping is great!   I've ordered other thread from them before and I don't think the shipping took too long.  You might also check other quilt shop sites as some of those carry it also.   Type in Wonderfil Thread in the search line and it should bring up sites where it is available.

If you have never used this thread before you might want to try it before buying a lot.  I have used it successfully...but I have also had horrible problems with breaking, shredding and skipped stitches.  Bottom Line is nearly as invisible,  is easily obtained, cheaper per cone though not as much on each cone and I don't have issues with it.  I reserve Invisafil for going around applique or as an alternative to invisible thread since I don' t like  to use that stuff.

Hi Valerie:

I use silk thread from Superior or YLI for my heirloom quilting but Wonderfil Invisifil is a nice option.  It runs well in the machine.  It will give you texture with minimal appearance of the thread.  It is the same weight as monofilament but it has a little less sheen...not as 'plastic' looking.  It's a nice thread and the Wonderfil folks are very nice to deal with.  I ordered from them directly a couple years ago and at that time, there was an additional $15 charge for customs when the package entered the US.  Now I try to buy from them at the quilt shows instead.  If you can find the thread in the US, as Linda suggested, you'll be better off.  More and more US vendors are carrying threads in the Wonderfil line.

I love Invisifil.  I bought the whole line and use it often.  It works better for me than Bottom Line.

I keep a bobbin case dedicated to monofilament and invisifil.  So the bobbin tension is set differently.  I only thread the top through two of the three holes right before the tension discs.  And I adjust the top tension as needed.

When the fabric allows, I use the smallest needle I have, 3.0 or 3.5. 

I buy it direct from Wonderfil.  Shipping has been reasonable, about $20 for a $250 order.  My sales rep is Cathy.

I am using it right now on my own quilt, love it on top & prewounds deco bobs for textures. Better price than silk. & there is so much thread on that deo bob. No tension problem, just adjust your tensions & dedicate a bobbin for deco bobs only.

Thank you all SO much - this is why I love this forum!!!  You answered everything - and then some!

I ALMOST bought a box.  I didn't realize the $15 additional at customs - thank you for that Mrs. A!!!  Not to mention, I assumed being wholesale I'd get a great price, but once you figure in shipping from that distance, even before the $15 charge at customs, you are so right, it's cheaper just to buy it here in the US.  I found a lady who lives only a couple hours from me who sells it for $9.80 - wholesale five cones would equal out to $7.80 per cone...so it just makes more sense to buy it here.  I NEVER would have guessed that.  THANK YOU!

Archived