filings in my black wheels, help!

Today, while working on a large quilt, I noticed drag on my wheels, so stopped to clean them.  The 2 wheels on the back of the table ( carriage wheels) were loaded with black filings.  Could not tell if they were plastic or metal.  Am afraid to continue.  Anybody have this happen with their black wheels?  The machine ( freedom SR) was professionally installed just a couple months ago.  I will be calling the maintenance department in the morning!

andi

It's OK. That is a build-up of oxidation from the aluminum rails and it's harmless. It's not part of the wheels. It can look like flakes or granules. The build-up can be removed with a soft cloth. Some quilters clean their rails with alcohol to eliminate the build-up on the rails which can transfer to the wheels. I wipe my rails and wheels with a piece of batting. I can tell if it's been a while between cleanings if I get a "grainy" or bumpy ride. I hope this eases your mind a bit.

The carriage on the new Bliss Machines gets a lot more build up of oxidation on it than the table does.  I used a friend's machine last week and wondered why I couldn't do small feathers.  Cleaned her wheels and I was back in  control.

I use a cotton bud (ear bud) to clean my wheels.  Get them even cleaner using it dipped in some Isopropyl alcohol.

Now isn't that interesting!  I was told by my professional installer that you no longer needed to clean the rails with alcohol.  I've been quilting for 10 years, this is my second machine.  I guess I will listen to my own gut from here on in.  thanks so much for setting my mind at ease!  I really appreciate the feedback.

andi

Make sure you also clean the carriage well, it may not look like it is oxidised but it sure gets dirty too.

I only use a small amount of alcohol on the wheels.  I feel if thewheels wear out after a few years (because I am using the alcohol) then it is much the same as changing the oil regularly on my car.  A service that has to be done to help it run properly.  

If I clean with water they are never as smooth as when I clean with alcohol.  IF you clean with water first and then do the alcohol you can see how much gunk is still there too!

Hi everyone,

The reason our engineers do not recommend regular alcohol cleaning on the M & M polymer wheels is to reduce the drying effect that prolonged alcohol exposure can have on the wheel surfaces. Eventually this can erode the wheels and cause reduced performance long term.

If you do choose to use alcohol to remove incidental oxidation, use it sparingly.

Archived