Not for the squeamish...

My customer today dropped off a top and told me the story of her slicing off the side of her pointer finger with a rotary cutter a month ago. I'll leave the details to your imagination but it made me shiver. The doctor applied a piece of material to span the open area. She said it looked like thin foam between two sheets of freezer paper. This magic paper stuck to the wound and stopped the bad bleeding. Within three weeks sections of it started to come off and clear skin was underneath. She still has some nerve problems and lots of tenderness, but her finger looks great--it's red and part of the nail is slanted but she isn't deformed and has no scar. Magic! She's very happy with how it's healing. 

She said that yesterday was the first day she picked up a rotary cutter since the accident. She told me her finger automatically stood straight up and out to the left! But she managed to cut some fabric without being traumatized.

I have a matching pointer finger! I missed the bone, thankfully. It is noticeable to me but not to anyone else really. I was complacent. I had been using a rotary cutter for over 25 years with no incident. I was cleaning up my monsterous supply of srap, cutting strips where I could and squares. It was mindless cutting, no counting or reading a pattern. I just cut one strip and then then the next one had my finger in it! I now PAY TOTAL ATTENTION to cutting. Complacency is a bad thing!

Yes, I think I'll have breakfast now that I've read this early this morning. :)

One of our guild members now uses her Kutglove (?) religiously due to the same kind of incident.  Can't be too careful while cutting.  Measure twice, cut once, and keep the body parts out of the way!

I sliced off the edge of my thumb including about a third of the nail this spring.  I'm surprised at how well it regrew.  It's still tender, and doesn't look quite right to me, but I don't think anyone else would notice.  

It took about 3 weeks for me to pick up the rotary cutter again.  That particular cutter went away.  As did the ruler.  I've now embraced the TruCut system.  I've heard of a glove, that Cindy mentioned.  I'll be keeping my eye out for that.

Not for the squeamish....yep.

I once commented after watching a Fons and Porter segment that they looked ridiculous wearing that "butcher's" glove after all I had been using a rotary cutter since it's invention and had never cut myself.  The next day while using my rotary cutter guess who sliced her finger...yup...me.  I still don't wear a glove, but I am much more safety conscious with the cutter.  I close it when I'm not using it and I'm very careful when using it.  I call the glove a "butcher's" glove because in the meat packing plants out in the Midwest the workers have to wear these gloves so they don't lose fingers and hands when cutting meat fast and furiously.  The gloves are perfect for carving pumpkins by the way. 

For those with scars they would like to have fade, I recomend a product called Mederma.  I have seen adds for it on TV for several years and felt no need for it.  I had carpal tunnel release surgery this spring and was having discomfort from the healing scar.  A friend at work recomended Mederma.  It is basically aloe and onion and works wonders.  Within three days the scar had softened noticably.  I recently recommended it to a friend recovering from hip replacement surgery.  within three days she noticed a huge difference too.  It is kind of spendy, but way worth it in my mind!  There are also store brands available at some places.  Most pharmacies shold have it.  What I want to know is "why didn't the doctor tell me about it?"

Archived