How much thread does it take to quilt an average quilt?

I am just starting out and want to know how much thread it takes to quilt an average size quilt using a basic panto, so I can know how much I should charge for thread.

Clearly, the heavier the quilting, the more thread, but what about for a double using a simple panto? Is 500 yards in the ballpark?

I'm interested in what other people charge for thread, or if they just include it in the price of the quilting.

Thanks in advance!

Hi Julia--

I always charge something for thread, as that seems to be the local custom. Thread charge starts at $3 minimum and can go up a lot. I keep track of bobbins used--pre wound Bottom Line earns a .50 thread charge per bobbin (but Bottom line bobbins are loaded with thread and I may only use 4 or 6 on a top.) If I wind my own bobbins, I charge the same even though the self-wounds don't hold as much thread--I need to be paid for my time!

You can decide what works best for you and your customer base. There are no hard and fast rules, but if you charge $3 per top and do 50 tops a year, that thread will need to be replaced and $150 is a good nest egg!

Counting pre-wound bobbins would be a way to figure how much thread is used in a top as they are measured and noted on the packaging. Multiply the bobbin yardage by the number used and there you are! Good luck on your journey as a longarmer!

Linda Rech

Olympia

Julia,

I am a thread-aholic. I can't get enough of the stuff. :P

I don't know the laws governing business in Maryland. But in San Diego County, California, when you get a resale/business license you must list the items that you plan to sell.

Besides my quilting service, I sell batting, and the thread that I use for a quilt. I charge a flat fee for thread $5.00 per quilt. If I'm doing 2 or 3 for the same customer at about the same time, then I just charge a single thread charge, no matter how much or how little or what kind of thread I use in their quilts.

At Innovations (and probably any quilt show), Bob Purcell (Superior Threads) sold cone thread wholesale if you had a business license. The www.youcanquiltit.com, a Superior distributor, also sells bobbins and thread wholesale if you have a business license.

I put the thread charge on the customer receipt with the quilting service (called fabrication labor in California) and batting, it is all taxable in California. So I have to keep track of sales (Quickbooks) and pay the tax bill once a year.

Like CKirk said above, Superior has a blurb on how much thread will it take to quilt this? Check it out.

http://www.superiorthreads.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=269&Itemid=100

Archived