How do you change for piecing? I have seen .05 per sq in, $100 square yard, $10-25 hour. I am trying to decide if I want to offer the services and set some prices.  I may have my first commissioned quilt customer. He wants a Kings size pinwheels or something of the sort. I  want to quote estimate so I don't short cut myself. Any information is greatly appreciated.

Blissful Quilting until next time…

Judith Washburn

BlissQuilter.com

APQS Dealer

Sealy, Texas

832-724-6335

Complete Longarm Quilting Studio

Millennium Blissed with IntelliQuilter

Lucey Blissed with Quilt Path

While I have never pieced for money or quilted very many quilts for money (I am strictly a hobby quilter at this time.), I used to be a professional seamstress.  I did alterations, dressmaking and mending in my own shop, as well as working from home.  Everything I did was based on how long it took.  I did have basic rates for things like hemming a pair of pants or replcing a zipper.  For dressmaking I always charged by the hour.  It has been a while since I did that work and I don't remember how much I charged. (I moved on to a second career in teaching.)  Because of my vast experience sewing, I am very fast and can charge a significant amount per hour, where a slower person would need to charge less.  You would need to figure out how much you could reasonably charge for your time.  Don't sell yourself short!  I have know idea how once could be fair to oneself charging by area.  Some designs simply take way more time than others!  When I was doing dressmaking I went as far as having a stop watch to time myself to be fair to both myself and the customer.  If somebody came into my shop while I was working on a dress, I would stop the watch until I was able to get back to work.  Granted, it took a while to teach myself to use the watch!  EVen though I am now just sewing/quilting for myself, I still track time on a project for most projects, partly out of curiosity and partly because once I retire from teaching, I hope to take on customer quits for quilting.  I hope this helps.

I think you need to figure out what your hourly rate needs to be - whether it is $7/hour or $20/hour.  When I have a custom order, I take the time to actually make a block and carefully time myself.  I figure that I will get faster as the piecing goes and figure that in to estimating how much time it will take me to piece the top. Beware, adding borders carefully takes more time that one thinks it should.  Then I charge standard rates for quilting and binding.  Be clear with your customer about who buys fabric and batting.  If that is your responsibility, figure that into the quilt cost separate from piecing and quilting.  If I'm buying, I do search online as well as in stores to get my customer the best price on fabric.

Lynn

Lynn Founatin

Fountain Fiber Arts, LLC

fountainfiber@bellsouth.net

I like the idea of being able to quote the customer a price up front, rather than adding up the hours when the job is finished.  The thread cited above for pricing is actually many years old now, and the prices of all materials has gone up considerably in that time.  I worked the whole thing out and figure the price today would be more like $125-$135/square yd.  That is fabric at $12 per yard for the top, somewhat less for the back, batting purchased at wholesale, plus your time for construction.  This is for a fairly simply pieced quilt, and would go up if they wanted something more elaborate. 

Puakea Farm Quilt Studio

http://catherinewynnequilts.com/

I got burned BIG TIME (did it to myself) the first quilt I pieced and finished for someone.  I quoted a flat rate and it didn't even begin to cover my time and expenses. I did 3 more after that and charged $12 an hour for getting the top together and the usual price for quilting.  They were all 3 for the same lady so she must have been pleased! I wrote what time I started and stopped each time I worked on it.  She bought the backing, batting and fabric from my stock so all in all we were both happy with the situation.

Cheri Blevins

2009 Millie ~ Quiltazoid equipped

http://bitsandpiece.weebly.com

eblevins3@frontier.com