Bobbin case...large or small?

Chickadeedee

I just ordered George at the AQS show in Grand Rapids.  I ordered it with the small bobbin case but am thinking maybe I should have gone with the big one.  I plan on using mostly cotton or silk thread and Beth the rep I bought it from had reasons that I don't remember for the small one.  Any thoughts, I'm about to make the call to finalize the order. 

Congrats on ordering your new George, DeeDee.  I run the L size on my George...with any thread from cotton to silk to polyester.  Some think the L bobbin makes a prettier stitch.  I like the convenience of winding bobbins on my Brother machine which also uses the L bobbins.  One other choice for you...APQS has both steel and aluminum bobbins.  Maybe others could weigh in here...I prefer the aluminum ones.  Always a good idea to have an extra bobbin case on hand...perhaps you should include that in your order?   Please be sure to come here to the forum if you have any other questions.  Welcome to the APQS family!   Nancy in Tucson

What type of quilting will you be doing on George.  If art type where you will be changing colours frequently in both the top and bobbin, you are better to go with the smaller L bobbin.

Economy wise the L size are cheaper to purchase both bobbin cases and bobbins.

If doing mostly Free motion overall designs on the George then the M bobbins hold almost double the amount of thread of the L bobbins.

I chose L size for my new machine rather than having to purchase new bobbin cases, bobbins Towa etc.

When I bought my Lucey, I asked this question...is user preference....is what I heard...the cons for the L bobbin were that it doesn't hold as much thread so you need to put a new bobbin in more frequently...the cons for the M was mainly that because of the larger size, you may have some tension changes as the bobbin gets used up....something about how fast the bobbin is spinning due to the larger sizes....I really don't know however, as I have never used an M bobbin...and I am a slower quilter..  Lin

Whichever you choose, you'll be happy with it!

It seems to be a trade-off between fiddling with the tension more with the M size and running out more often with the L size.

One other thing to think about is if you aren't planning to use pre-wound bobbins, those Ms hold a lot of thread, which is OK if you want to use the same bobbin colors a lot. If you plan to wind your own bobbins to match your top thread you'll need a lot of thread to fill the big ones. Then you'll have a lot of partial bobbins not being used--which really isn't a bad thing.  ;)

If you plan to only partially fill the bobbins with matching thread--well, you might as well get the L size.

I guess it would depend on what style of quilting will make your heart sing!

Man, I'm a big help!

To follow up on your subsequent question, I don't normally use cotton or silk in the bobbin, but on occasion will use cotton Aurifil  (50 wt.). I most often use bottom line (60 wt.), So fine (50 wt.), or Fil-tec glide (50 and 60 wt.) in the bobbin. I use a Magic Genie teflon disc in the bobbin case rather than a metal spring and I've never had the bobbin tension change as the bobbin empties. My Towa bobbin tension gauge is invaluable.

Leslie

On my Bernina I like using Aurifil 50# cotton on top and in the bobbin or the Aurifil in the bobbin and silk in the top.  I like the way lighter thread sinks in.  I did buy a supply of King Tut to play with, I think it's supposed to be slightly thicker but stronger.  I make mostly quilt bed quilts, frequently queens and kings.  That sounds like I've made lots but it's over several years so my experience is limited.  One thing that drew me to George is that he looks very simple to use, not too many gadgets.  If it's just a matter of turning the tension dial occasionally maybe the M.  If it means constantly fooling with it I'd rather go L.  Make sense?  

You're quite right that George is a simple, user-friendly machine.   There is, however, often a learning curve when transitioning from quilting on a domestic machine (your Bernina) to a more industrial machine...needles are different and tension is one of the issues which plague newbies at first.  I'm suggesting the L for you.

I most often use Aurifil 50 weight in the bobbin or Superior So Fine (same weight polyester thread that looks like cotton but runs in the machine like a dream).  With silk thread on top, I use either the Aurifil or I wind a bobbin of the same silk.  Depends on how much you want the quilting to show on the back of the quilt.  To be very honest with you, DeeDee, I never got the hang of King Tut.  It's a very individual thing...some people use it with ease.  You'll receive some sample threads with your George...do some experimenting before you commit to a huge thread purchase of any brand, fiber or weight.

Glad you are already tapping into the support here on the forum.  It is an amazingly knowledgeable & helpful group of quilters.  Best, Nancy in Tucson

I've had my George for a few years now.  I've used King Tut all the way down to Aurifil 40 wt. and Invisifil 100 wt.  I have the L bobbin and have not had a concern or wish to change it.  I don't do dense quilting so don't need to replace the bobbins often.  Most of my quilts are queen sized bed quilts too.  Welcome to George-land.  You will truly enjoy it.

Archived