Modified Wedding Ring quilt....

I had a customer drop this off and request custom, I am finding it a bit hard on the eyes (busy) Seeing it in a picture actually helps. Does anyone have any suggestions? I have a couple ideas, but I am not sure they would help the quilt or I could just call her and suggest a custom allover design.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Angie

post-6353-0-06737800-1377891373_thumb.jpg

I am a beginner....so I can't offer any fancy advice...but I am thinking if you do custom, maybe some kind of line to emphasis the interlocking circles.  The are a bit hard to see...ummm...would a sort of wavey circle through the colored piecing be enough to do that?  Maybe try drawing on some template plastic or something and positioning over the quilt to see the effect?  I don't know what to do with the parts with the writing on them.....Lin

Maybe try turning the rings into actual rings. Make a template that will allow you to mark each choppy arc into a smooth arc. Go from the nine-patch that makes up the connector block and curve it around, hitting as many corners of the colored fabric pieces as you can and still have a smooth arc. Then end at an adjacent nine-patch center. Make two templates--one for the outer edge of the arcs and one for the inside melon shape. The arc templates should fit every block and the border arcs as well. I think the smooth arcs stitched as an overlay will soften and make the "wedding ring" pattern more pleasant. See if you have circle or arc templates that will fit the bill. If not, cut them from template plastic. This will leave you with the traditional shapes--melon shapes and the pinched square in the middle. Easy to quilt--I think the melon shape is small enough to leave unquilted unless you want to put something there.

It's very jarring to see the close-up photo but I bet when it's viewed from far away it's interesting. I've never seen anything like it!

If that question is for me  ;) , as with the rest of the stitching, I'd use a thin thread to match the white background and stitch the same design in each center pinched square just as if there wasn't any writing on the blocks. You'll never be able to quilt around all the sigs and make the quilt look pleasing. The stitching will only show texture and not obscure the writing in any way.

My apologies to the several people above who had the same idea! I guess that's what happens when I don't completely read all the posts!  :huh:

Thanks so much for the ideas - it is great to get other peoples opinion, everyone sees things differently. My original thoughts were to do a some swirl shapes in each of the squares that are suppose to replicate the melons. Then, do some simple ribbon candy in the white areas between the melon shapes. CC in the some of the connecting squares between the melon rings....As far as the white open areas??? I wasn't entirely sure...This quilt pattern is a bit jagged and hard to make smooth.

I also considered a large crosshatch right through the connecting blocks and the white squares. But I do think it would need a little something extra in those big white squares.

I know this lady asked for custom, but I really think she only wanted a light custom. So I need to be cautious of not over doing. For now, I decided to wait until she get back from camping to talk to her some more. ;)

Thanks again,

Angie

• 1 month later...

Archived