My week of quilting finally finished...

Metro thread, top and bobbin, hobb's wool batting, and yes, solid quilting all week, except for Tuesday when I worked most of the day mowing, edging, and raking the grass. :)  I know I spent more than 35 hours on this.  I stitched around applique first, SID borders, background fill, border fill, and then details in applique.  I really preferred the look of no stitching in the applique (it popped nicely) and thought the large stripped flowers needed more, but my friend thought I should put a little something in the applique pieces.  She will be entering this in some shows.  If it were my quilt, I would have used curved crosshatching in the outer border.  Stitching all those sunflowers took a whole 8 hours.  I really tried to keep track of my time, but it's kind of hard to do with tedious quilting. I probably need to invest in some sort of timer that I can just start and stop (often).  Apqs should build a timer function into their machines, sort of like a trip odometer.

That's all-around gorgeous! Your designs are inspired. I love the bird perched on the applique. And I echo the admiration or your border quilting.

I try not to keep track of the time I take, especially with the intensive outlining and dense backgrounds of applique quilts. I just get a feel for whether the fee was worth it for the days spent. If I tracked the time I wouldn't get another custom customer because I'd raise my per-inch fee or charge by the hour and no one could afford it!

Again, much applause for this beautiful quilt---it should do well!

Your quilting is just fabulous & I know how much time is involved to produce such result. Like Linda said, it should do well in the show.

Nowadays, I try to do hi end custom on my personal quilts only unless customers are willing to pay my real worth. I think we give so much of our time & talents because we love our art.

For many years when I ran an alteration/dressmaking/mending shop I used a stopwatch to time how long it took tomaek something.  It is not 100% accurate, but it gives a good idea.  I have a stopwatch on my cutting table and I usually use it to track how long it takes me.  I guess that it partly the retentive math teacher part of me likes to measure things...  I have a plain stopwatch but momst cell phones have that as an app and who among us is far from theirs?

Archived