As many of you may recall, my Mom has been ill since Jan of this year. She is now under hospice care. She's had 2 bouts of pneumonia and although she is still weak, she is slowing improving. I am her only caretaker so I haven't worked since Jan 3rd. Some days, she doesn't need me to do much other than regular care. (She sleeps a lot). On those days, I get to take a little time for myself in between her routine care.

She loves the color pink. And I had promised her last year when I was working on my sister-in-laws quilt, I would make her a pink quilt. So, here it is. Her mind is not always clear, but I believe she undestood it's her quilt when I presented it to her. She smiled.....

I could not find a design for a pieced cross block that I felt I could do, so I designed this one myself. The quilt fits a full size bed and the blocks are slighly less than 8 inches square. Not having ever tried to design a block before, they were supposed to be 8 inches square but came out slightly less. Thankfully, they still fit together ok. :)

I used my IQ for most of the quilting with the exception of the rays behind the cross and the sid around everything. The cross border, sash and block designs are from One Song Needle Arts. 

This is link to the photos of Mom's Pink Cross Quilt.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/debbiemcdonald/sets/72157634878797588/

Debbie

Newnan, Ga

Debbie, I had to grab the kleenex. It made me think of the beautiful quilt the forum members made for my husband. He liked to wrap up in it for his naps after chemo. He said it just felt good.....I think the thoughts, prayers and love were seeping out of the quilt and into him. Your mom will feel it even if she isn't completely clear. The last few weeks Elmer was alive he was not aware of his surroundings...but he could still feel comfort and love. When I held him in my arms his breathing would be easier and he would rest.

Don't have ANY regrets Debbie.......you have taken care of her when she needed you and now you have made her "comfort quilt" when she needs it most. Good job!

(((((((HUG)))))))))

Debbie, 

The quilt is beautiful and it's obvious you put a lot of thought and love into it.  I'm sure your Mom can feel that love when she sees it or snuggles with it.   Have no regrets you didn't make it sooner.  Sometimes when we're busy caring for our parents full-time there isn't the time or energy to do some of the extra things that we want to do.  You have been there for her and I'm sure it has meant more than you may ever know.  

Bless you,

What a beautiful quilt, Debbie, and I can just feel the love and care you put in to designing and quilting it for your mother.  It is very difficult to be a caregiver and to have time and energy, as well as strength of mind to undertake making a handmade gift while under that strain.  You did a wonderful job in picking colors and creating a lovely gift for your mom.  She will enjoy being surrounded by your love, and your time spent with her.

Debbie,

The quilt is just beautiful.  I agree with the others - feel no guilt.  Be amazed that during your caregiving services you found time to make such a treasure.  I'm sure that your mother feels the love and comfort quilted into your gift for her. 

The time you are spending with your mom now is hard but precious.  It is so important to be with people and to  witness these transitions in their and in our own lives.  In our hurry-up, I want this now world - time is the most precious gift.  The quilt and your presence are both gifts of time.

Lynn

I just want to say Thank you to everyone for all their sweet words of encouragement given. It means a lot to me. I cried a lot yesterday, just reading everyones' comments.

And Judith, the word, "Mother" is another of One Song Needle Arts quilting patterns. I do hope she does some more words.

Debbie 

This quilt is beautiful, and I'm choked up understanding everything you said in your post.  Your Mom will feel the love you have put in to it, I am sure.  I, too, have been taking care of my mother for the last year, but since July I've been traveling far more due to her having heart surgery.  Now her memory is not real sharp, but she asks how my quilting is going.  Reading your story has me tearing up for I have a quilt she started back in the 80's that she sent to me last year and asked me to finish hand quilting.  I'm unable to hand quilt due to tendonitis issues so I set the box aside thinking I would find a family member to help me out finishing it.  I realize I really need to get her Irish Chain quilt out and ask someone to help me finish it for her.  I want her to have it back and understand it is hers before she isn't able to.  Thank you for sharing your beautiful quilt, your beautiful story of love and caring, and helping me put some perspective on my own situation and my need to get hers finished.  Bless you for your love in caring for your  Mom, it isn't easy but I, too, wouldn't want it any other way.

Hi Marci,

I finished Moms' quilt in July. And I wasn't going to post pictures of it online. But yesterday morning as I was reading messages on this forum, it just came to me that I needed to put it up here. I'm beginning to see that it wasn't my desire to post it. There was a reason I could not even begin to know....it was for all of us who have things we need to be doing for our loved ones. I am glad that you were inspired to finish your Mothers' quilt. when she gets it back, it will be a happy day for her and you.

God Bless you and your Mom,

Debbie

OH Debbie, what a beautiful treasure you have created, filled with so much love!   Your mother can't help but feel your love surrounding her when she wraps herself in this gorgeous creation.  And eventually, when she is gone, it will comfort you and help you feel close to her.  I'm so glad for both of your sakes that you were able to make this for her while she is still here.

Archived