Minke backing done..ugh!

I finished this baby quilt for a friend of my daughter. My daughter always likes soft quilts. I put minke on the back of this modern baby quilt. The nursery is done in yellow and grey..I threw in a little pink. The minke was slippery, stretchy, and I won't use it again!

My daughter likes the quilt though.

Now I have to go clean up fluff from all my sewing rooms and machines!

I'e done a couple of minkie backed "blankets".  She requested to batting in both.  and then she wanted one color on the top and another on the back.  I told her I didn't think that would work - WHEW!   Dodged a bullet there.  I've also found that it doesn't take much quilting.  Less is more when it comes to minkie. - and load it like Kristina says.  Makes a world of difference.

I LOVE Minkee backings...but not the kind with the furry pile. I've quilted lots of them and always have loaded the selvage edges to the leaders like Kristina. Once I did one with the furry pile and it was a nightmare. It wanted to stretch no matter what I did. Very cute quilt, too!

Well I have a love hate relationship with minkee. I love the feel, hate the mess. I make licensed University of Wyoming quilts out of minkee to and bottom with a thin batt in between. I don't load selvage ends I load cut end since I can quilt two without running out of throat space. The trick is a little longer stitch length a strong thread, magnifico from superior is great for these and a real loose meander. The mess well I pick a week a month a do nothing but minkee that week. It can get inches deep, clean it up and move on. So if someone wants a quilt with a minkee back i do it first that week then remove it from the room. Then I move onto customer minkes, then my minkes.

Vacuum and air compressor and a swifter to clean up. I blow myself off before leaving the room.

Shirley

I bought minkee and when the shop cut it out for me and I saw the mess.....well, I have to say....the minkee is still in the bag that I bought it in.  That stuff is crazy!  I love the feel, but I am going to have to be in the mood for cleaning if I get it out and try to work on it as it just goes poof and is everywhere!!!

I don't mind the minkee--I quilt in my garage and when I'm done, I can open the garage door and get out my lawn blower (designated for quilting, of course) and blow my garage out of fluffies. I have a client that brings me the minkee with no design bumps or swirls on the back and it is so beautiful in baby quilts. I always use batting tho so I have no clue how hard it is to work with without a batting. As for me, I load it any ole way but am careful not to over-tension it, but for a minkee beginner, definitely load like Kristina suggests!

Kathy G, my thought exactly,

and

Linda R.  that was another.  Though I'd be sure it is shaken Very Well first, so as to not plug

the Washer filter, or the dryer.  I think I'd only dry it until damp, then lay it out flat to finish.. would

that help the stretchiness, or would it be better to totally dry in the dryer?

With airborne stuff causing me such health fits, I seriously doubt I ever use Minkie, even if washed.

Let us know what happens, if it is washed first.??  I'd appreciate just knowing.

Rita

Actually if you don't do very much of it, here is an easy way to do it.

If you cut it at home, lay it out an cutting table, and cut it, do not move it, vacuum cut edge. Then if the store cut it and its in the bag, go straight to your dryer, and o this also with what you just cut. Put in dryer. Take a rag or washcloth and get it wet and ring it out. Put rag in dryer, tumble on low heat for 30 min. Remove from dryer and rake outside and shake to remove remaining fuzz. Then it is good to use. Now get a towel wet and wring it in your washer, while it s wringing out, remove rag and toss or defuse it. With your hand wipe out what us you can get, throw towel in dryer and dry for regular cycle. Clean lint filter after each step.

Warning when you shake outside, fuzz sticks to everything, lawn chairs, etc.

For the occasional minkee this is fine, but for th amount of minkee I do, I'm not allowed to do the dryer anymore. Had to totally take it apart and clean the vent deep inside. That is my disclaimer.

Shirley

Archived