Pacemakers

I hope I am speaking correctly..    I've heard the only thing to stay away from is the microwave, and some machines that give off harmful waves.  As for industrial, I think I would ask the company, as well as do research on line for Pace Maker cautions, use and care.

Congrats, and I pray it is doing all it can be.  Wish I could be more helpful than this may be.

Rita

THat's a new one..........I'll be interested to hear the answer too.   None of my longarming friends have pacemakers, so I wouldn't have a clue.   I think maybe the microwave thing was a caution from years ago when microwaves were the new best thing.   My Mom has a pacemaker and a microwave............she has had both for 15 years.  Never heard her doctor warn about being around certain things.   She sews all the time with her DSM.     

Thank you both ~ yes today's microwave ovens are ok to use because they have excellent seals.  The pacemaker is doing very well; it certainly is making me feel great.  I guess I will call APQS Monday ~ am looking at buying an IntelliQuilter system and don't want to invest in it if I should not be near the machine--I think the caution refers mainly to machines with strong magnets in them, and I don't know if the Mille has any or not...

Carol

I work for a cardiologist and my mom has a pacemaker.  I know for a fact that you have to worry about magnets as they can turn the pacemaker "off" and my mom was told to stay away from the microwave when it was running.  Other than that, I have heard nothing else that should be of concern. 

Just to add to the fray - it really depends on the type of 'pacemaker.' When my mom had a 'normal' one, the only real restriction was the magnets that qltnbe mentioned, and cell phones (had to use an older one and hold to a certain ear.) When she was 'upgraded' to an implanted defibrillator, that's when they became more concerned about engines and machinery. Bad things happen. You likely got an instruction manual in the care packet with your pacemaker, and that will likely detail the type of engine, etc, that you want to stay away from. For the record, my mom's used and been around my millenium when I've been using it, and without any ill effect. Her doctor said that car alternators were about the worst, and she should never lean over a car engine while someone was trying to start it. If you go to a Pacemaker or ICD clinic, they'd also be an excellent resource for information about what kinds of machinery should be avoided.

magnets are indeed the biggest issue...and RF or microwave producing device can be a problem (some engines actually do this with their electrical systems...but a normal car is to my knowledge not a problem. It is best to ask for specifics from your cardiologist of pacemaker rep. Finally, my assumption would be that  a LA machine should be just fine.

Archived