Houston - International

There are often rooms available due to cancellations but sometimes you pay a premium when you book late.  Check the IQA website first to learn which 4 or 5 nearby hotels are on the route of the free shuttle buses.

I've stayed several times at the Crowne Plaza (just fine) but I'm trying the Four Seasons this year.  The scope of the exhibits, competition and vendor mall is mind blowing.  IF you are an IQA member, you can attend the preview on Wednesday evening w/fewer crowds...makes for a better photo opportunity.  Your IQA membership also gets you one day's free admission to the show.   If you have a tax ID number, bring it.  Some of the vendors will extend wholesale pricing at the show...many others have show specials on thread, machines, etc.         Nancy in Tucson

My friend who is familiar with Houston is fearless and we decided to rent a car and find a hotel in a safe area about 20 minutes away. The savings for the hotel more than made up for the cost of the car and parking. Plus we have transportation to sightsee and find nice places to eat. 

My friend who is familiar with Houston is fearless and we decided to rent a car and find a hotel in a safe area about 20 minutes away. The savings for the hotel more than made up for the cost of the car and parking. Plus we have transportation to sightsee and find nice places to eat. 

Linda,

We did this last year and really enjoyed the motel we stayed at.  We could leave and go when we wanted.  Worked out great for us.  Probably won't get to go but one day this year but am looking forward to walking and walking!  :)  Wear comfortable shoes and clothes!  Bring money and credit card.  So much eye candy and if you touch it, it just seems to go home with you!

I will be driving down with a friend on Tuesday, staying until Saturday.  We are staying at one of the downtown hotels but I do not know which one and am not home to check.  I hope we can get together to meet and visit, perhaps Thursday afternoon at the APQS booth or the entrance to the lunch area.  Everyone could tie a red ribbon on their name tag so that we can spot each other.  What do you all think?

Ladies, I live in Houston.  Just be careful where you stay, there are some area's that are not so safe.  If you want to know if something is safe, email me and I will let you know.  If you want some good places to eat I can let you know those also.  To get close parking get there early.

I will be there on Sat. and Sunday (best shopping day - can make some real deals between 1-4 when it closes.)  I hope you all have a great time.  Bring backpacks - not purses, that seems to work the best, and wear comfortable tennis shoes, this is not a place for saddles, high traffice and too many Handicap Carts/Turnarounds driving through the alise.  And they are visious. 

Sending you all a big Texas Howdy!!!!

My red jacket in my profile picture was juried into Houston. I hope some of you get to see it since I can't go. I am happy it got in because only 51% of the entries were accepted. This is the week they notify you if you won something. no news is bad news! I found a web site by Gabriel Muniz who is a couture designer. He won 2nd place last year with his garment. He got an Honorable Mention this year and is teaching hat making classes. He also makes funny comments on the elite runway shows...way out there fashions. It is a funny web site. I bet his classes are a blast but I have no place to wear his hats!

http://munizcouture.wordpress.com/

my daughter & i will be there - our 4th year.  sure would like to meet you ladies :)   we will be there Thurs PM & leave Sat AM & we are staying there at the Hilton connected to the convention center...so if any of you need something...let me know...if you message me I'll give you my cell #.  hope to get to meet you.

Linda

Archived