Friends of Baltimore BAQ

Quilting Heidi

Hi All.  I've been so busy and haven't spent much time on the forum but I have been checking in.  I've finally finished quilting the BAQ I have been working on for months.  It was an honor to work on a quilt like this and I'm SOOOOOOO glad it is done!  Kathy Tennyson appliqued this quilt and I had the pleasure of quilting it.  I was really terrified to get started on it and the challenge was there was so little space for quilting.  I wanted to do something that would make each block pop while also making the designs all flow together.  My customer wanted small quilting and was really drawn to the relief type of quilting, at least that is what I call it.  I showed this top to Lisa Calle at MQX and she suggested doing the outline and then outline again 1/8" - 1/4" away.  Then next to the applique do a dense fill.  I chose pebbles because my customer just loves them.  I used Maderia Monolon to SID the entire quilt, 48 hours!  I used silk thread to do all the background work.  It was a lot of fun but I'm so glad to have it done!  I used a double layer of wool and bottom line on the back.  I forgot to get pictures of the back but it was gorgeous.  I had to use cream thread on top and red in the bobbin!  My customer was thrilled.

Quilt:

9765761651_ae4d88cf76.jpg

9765932344_6ba0e8357c.jpg
border 1 by merrih2, on Flickr

9765925256_4848a332c1.jpg
133 by merrih2, on Flickr

9765925326_281c852b70.jpg
132 by merrih2, on Flickr

9765938904_d9ea7f41dc.jpg
127 by merrih2, on Flickr

9765724302_e155bf9a0e.jpg
126 by merrih2, on Flickr

9765942004_2c7d771069.jpg
125 by merrih2, on Flickr

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh Heidi! I wish I could absorb this whole thing in person. I am in such awe; what a beautiful quilt; both applique and quilting; you both created such a treasure. Thank you for sharing; and if she ever enters it in any west coast shows, let me know!!!! It is absolutely exquisite.

Wow, Heidi, I can't take all of your amazing tiny quilting in one sitting. I will be coming back again and again to take a look and admire!!

This is star quality work, I wish I could see it in person!! Your customer did a spectacular job on something I have always wanted to do, and she certainly picked the right person to quilt it!

I'm speechless!

48 hours is a long time.

It's fantastic!

I know you're glad it's done...

Did she come & pick it up?

How'd she like it?

Meg the whole quilt took me about 150 hours!  It is definitely a labor of love!  She came and picked it up this afternoon and she loved it.  She admired every square inch of it.  I can't wait to see it with the binding on.

Your customer did such an amazing job on her applique, and you are right, she really did not leave much in the way of open spaces for you to quilt. But, you did such a wonderful job with what she did leave you. I especially like that outlining you did with the pebbles right up close to the applique and then two more lines. Lots of work but worth the effort!! So interesting!!!

Jess

I'm speechless!

48 hours is a long time.

It's fantastic!

I know you're glad it's done...

Did she come & pick it up?

How'd she like it?

Meg the whole quilt took me about 150 hours! It is definitely a labor of love! She came and picked it up this afternoon and she loved it. She admired every square inch of it. I can't wait to see it with the binding on.

So, you SID for 48 hours?

OMG

I would have lost my mind.

Of course she loved it...its beautiful, Heidi.

Archived