cstucke80

A little help needed with strips

Long story short , I am looking for a little help in collecting enough strips to make to quilts for my sister to leave for her children and grandchildren. She has 2 girls and 2 granddaughters .

She is in her final days with her cancer. We are bringing her and her girls to her family home for her last days fighting the cancer. When they told her last week that she only had maybe a couple of weeks or so. But she is determined to make a couple of quilts to leave for her girls from her. She has been making some quilts but has given all of them away to people that needed them or would say that they like it.

It would have to be very basic quilts because at this time she can not remember how to do the thing she loves (quilting) without some saying stitch here. She is a very giving person and her name is Sherry. Could you please pray for her not to struggle with a lot of pain in her passing.

Also for her family.

Sherry has ask if my sister and I could help her come up with enough color variations of black/ red / white-- quilt # 2 oranges and off white I don't know what color that would go with orange for the strip type quilt. They remind me of the Bargello quilt but not it is just strips going like it off set. Then a pink variation last one is a purple one. The last two is for the granddaughters.

If anyone has a couple strips in those colors would you mind helping me with this for her.

I could trade for some strips that I have but I just don't have enough to make this happen for her .

And we don't have a quilt shop in town. We have a Walmart but they do not have a lot in this line.

Also if you were to make a label to put on the quilts when they are done what would you put?

I think we should say who it is from (mom) or Nana an she will always love them. Does that sound bad or what should I put on it?

Thanks in advance , sorry for the rambling.

If I should not post this please let me know.

Thanks

Connie

Connie;

My thoughts are with you and your family at this difficult time.  What a lovely legacy for your sister to leave to her children and grands, and wonderful of you to find a way to make her wish come true. Perhaps a "rail fence" pattern in black/white/red would work?  Strip sets could be sewn and easily assembled into rows.  Perhaps if you ask, folks could even send you sewn strip sets and then you could cut up and assemble with your sister.

I would be happy to contribute; you could PM your mailing address.

Vickie

<p>Vickie Oliver Beachside Quilter APQS Rep SW FL 2013 New Gen Millennium, Quilt Path

239-209-0990. Beachsidequilter.com

PM me colors and size with you address. I just lost one of best friends to cancer just over a week ago. I would love to send you strips!!!!

Dell 2016 Millie Frannie Ann Jr. with Bliss & she is Quiltaziod and Circle Lord Equipped with lots of Quilting Toys and now has Quilt Path!

Yes, this should post.  Thank you for giving others the opportunity to be of assistance right when it is needed.

For the labels you might want to have your sister dictate to you special thoughts or remembrances of each of the girls.  Then print on printer fabric her thoughts and wishes for the recipient as well as when and how the quilts were made.  Yes, add that she will always love them and include her full name with Mom or Nana.  These girls will keep them for years.

Please let me know where I can send some strips.

5F4695C433F08F453B8C5F9813B2BCC7.png

http://www.connectingthreads.com/patterns/Jo-Lydias_Building_Blocks_Pattern_Download__D10162D.html

PLEASE CUT STRIPS 2-1/2" INSTEAD OF 2' SHOWN ON PATTERN.  THANK YOU!!!

Connie:

Here is a link to a super easy pattern.  Easy to piece in strip sets, cut apart and reassemble into rows.  We made 5 complete tops at our guild Fun Day in less than 4 hours.

Vickie

<p>Vickie Oliver Beachside Quilter APQS Rep SW FL 2013 New Gen Millennium, Quilt Path

Connie,

Let me know how wide of strips you need. Do you also need neutrals, or just the colors.  Would you prefer blenders, florals, or what?  I have pink and purple. I know I have black and red.  I will send you some this week.

8259635bf834a637a7febcce54170daf.png Sweet T's Custom Quilting Finley, TN  (731)-445-6411 sweet_t_quilting@yahoo.com

http://sweettsquilting.blogspot.com

https://www.facebook.com/SweetTsQuilting

Sherry loves florals but then she just loves fabric and being able to piece quilts .  So I think what ever you want or can would be great.  Yes we will need some neutrals as well.  When I would see her in Mich. or we got together in our home town West Plains. We would all go shopping for material. 

She would always pick hers out and it might be another hour for me to pick out my colors. So you might be asking the wrong person to say what exactly.  So I will leave it to you to choose Sherry will be good with just the act of kindness of seeing her kids getting a quilt from her.

That was always my Christmas present to her to take her shopping for material. Being a single parent she did not always get to go to Quilt shops very often. Not that I go to often but it will always be a good memory for us.  I would make a quilt box whether it be a new quilt book, patterns, or quilting tools.  I would start shopping again as soon as Christmas was over if I saw a good buy. 

We are thinking 2 1/2 " strips would be a good size to work with. 

Thank You Teresa for helping me do this for her and her girls.

My Address is 702 East Della

Versailles, Mo. 65084

Thanks Cathy, anything you would like to do would be great. We will have Sherry help sew some of the strips or blocks together if she can. I am hoping that she will be able to sew some for each of them or she can help decide like Vickie suggested to help arrange the blocks.

Question on the Quilt label is there a pen that will not was out with washing over time? We could use to get her to sign a piece of material so it would have that personal touch to them from her.

Connie

A pigma pen is the best, won't wash our and won't run.  And if you print your label on paper with a nice font you can trace it with the pigma pen and not have to worry about pre treated fabric for the label.

I'll look and see what I have in strips too.

e031f624cf7233f8fdc03e8e12614a83.png

LeeAnn Meduna

I just wanted to say that I am sorry about the situation with your sister.......((hugs))

"Of all the things a woman's hands have made---The quilt so lightly thrown across her bed---The quilt that keeps her loved ones warm---Is woven of her love and dreams and thread." excerpt from The Romance of the Patchwork Quilt by Carrie A. Hall

:rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes:  :rolleyes: 

Shana in North Pole, Alaska ---- The Farthest North APQS Sales Rep  
 Always quilting with her faithful friend, Mademoiselle Madeleine Millennium, Bliss-fully skating gracefully...and having lots of fun with IntelliQuilter

Hey block warriors, this is just a suggestion:

Connie would like to make four tops:  one purple, one pinks, one orange, and one red/white/black.

How about if everyone who is able make one strip set each using 2-1/2" strips; alternating neutral/color/neutral.  If you could make one of each of the color groups that would be great, or just make what you have in your stash and send to Connie as strip sets.  She can then cut them into blocks and assemble with her sister.  Quick and easy!  Many hands make light work!!  If everyone uses tan/white on white for the neutrals it would be lovely.  Use whites and make one strip set white/red/white and one white/black/white for the red/white/black quilt.  We all have these in our stash and it would be a great way to help out our sister quilters.  See my post above for the pattern suggestion. :)   NOTE:  CUT STRIPS 2-1/2 INSTEAD OF 2" AS PATTERN SHOWS!!  THANK YOU!!!

Connie I am so sorry to hear about your sister. Praying for your sister and your family.

I will make some strip sets and send them to you to help with the quilts your sister wants to make. I'll make them today because I am home from work because my husband is having a bad day. He is very ill.