Suggestions for quilting applique border, please?

I'm tossing around ideas for quilting this applique border.  My customer wants echo quilting around the applique but where the off-white squares are she has given me free rein. I've posted a few pictures to give an idea of the length of the border between the applique in the corners.

My first thought was molar feathers where the off-white squares are but now I'm thinking that may take away from the applique.  Next thought was basketweave type quilting in the squares, or simply CC's in each square.

As a side-note, she wants the large center applique echo-quilted.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

post-4461-0-42526600-1380238501_thumb.jpg

post-4461-0-10462700-1380238515_thumb.jpg

post-4461-0-90302900-1380238529_thumb.jpg

post-4461-0-43455000-1380238542_thumb.jpg

Pat,  that's a pretty quilt.  Will you echo-quilt around those border appliques with several/many echo lines?  I haven't done any fine applique quilts so don't have a lot of answers.  However, I wonder if you can repeat  the flowers and leaves in quilting on the off white areas of the border rather than adding a new image like feathers.  That way you would get pretty quilting but it would be like a shadow of the applique design.

Hi Pat~

This is a very pretty quilt. Here is what I see.

For the borders:

Stitch in the ditch all the border seams, then stitch in 1/4 inch to frame the spaces.

Do the echo quilting your customer is looking for, then, do a double scallop on the corners on a diagonal.

(see attached pics) (Sorry, drawing with the mouse) Then, McTavish the center area ( The cream squares)

post-1299-0-79707400-1380261057_thumb.jpg

for the Center,...

Again, echo the applique like she wants, but frame the center with a double lined Scallop. then do radiating lines to really showcase the applique. Or,... you could carry the McTavishing into the Center on the outside of the scallop.

post-1299-0-91925200-1380261080_thumb.jpg

Clear as mud?...

Can't wait to see what you do

I'm NO expert - but even though it is a BEAUTIFUL quilt - that is a lot of plain space in those borders?  Laura's suggestions sound good, I too, would try to do something similar around the applique in the center and the borders (even if it is just echoing a few times around all applique or McTavishing) what about some of that neat "shadow quilting" where you quilt a repeat of the flowers on the plain parts of that big border?

I just saw that's what Anne said too . . .

What wonderful ideas everyone has.  Now I don't know which one to go with! 

I think I'll start drawing them out on my tablet and see what would fit my customer's taste.  I know she likes feathers but I don't want to take away from her beautiful applique so the McTavishing or copying the design of her applique may be a better choice.  Whatever I end up doing I do like the idea of framing the border and inner applique block 1/4" from where I did the SID.

Thank you all so much!!  I'll post pics when I'm done but it will be a while. I'm not a fast quilter. :)

Archived