First large quilt on George

SueB2

This one is for us.  Hubby did not want me over quilting it as it is for our bed and his lap quilt I quilted all over.

Lessons learned, Batting has a wrong side to it, I found it.

Like the filtec Mag bobbins a lot.

There are more ways to do feathers than I thought possible.

George's table not slippery enough even with slider, trying silicon next time.

Decided if I was going to try feathers I wanted to see them so used Gold thread Magnifico.

Thanks to Myrna for just do it and designs in Star points, Darlene for design in inner borders, and Kimmy Brunner Twirly whirly feathers, first try at them.    

post-25249-0-94418100-1380419828_thumb.jpgpost-25249-0-68687100-1380419830_thumb.jpgpost-25249-0-08309400-1380419832_thumb.jpg

Congratulations, Sue.  Your new bed quilt looks terrific!  Isn't it great to have all 20" of throat space when working on a larger piece?  Although I don't even use the slider on George anymore, I do have two tips for you  which might help your sandwich move more freely:

#1  Before the assemble the quilt sandwich, starch your backing.  Once, twice, even 3 times.  The firmer it is, the smoother it will glide under the needle.  Spray a thin coat of starch, let it soak in for several minutes, then press it dry.  Flip it over & do the same to the other side.  Letting the starch soak in before pressing will help eliminate the white flaky stuff that sometimes forms when you press while the starch is sitting on the surface of the fabric.

#2  You can use a car wax (like Turtle Wax) on the table & plexiglass insert.  Just be sure to polish it very well with a dry cloth afterwards. The polish will make the surface surprisingly more slippery.

You're doing a great job with your new George.  Please keep sharing your work...it inspires us all.    Nancy in Tucson

thanks Ladies,

Nancy thanks for the suggestions, will try that on the next quilt.  Going to see my sister in CA for a couple of weeks. 

She is on chemo again and my Father in law (91yr old) who lives with us wants to go back to San Diego.  So will be off the sewing for awhile.

Plus next project is for daughter and she still hasn't made up her mind on what she wants.  Found fabric on line but we haven't found pattern for Adorn it nested owls.  So I have an excuse for awhile.

The quilt above was made from a layer cake (Swirls) and a matching charm pack for the inner borders.  Plus another layer cake in the off white. The pattern was Frosted Flake from Layers of Charm plus 1 book. by Minnesota charms.com

Sue, I am considering a George because I have neck pain issues, and I think sitting down will help me. Do you like George overall and do you think it was worth spending so much on?  I am not  going to have a business, so I guess I am hesitant to spend that much money, just to have fun. But I know it will open up a lot more quilting space for me, and the opportunity to be more creative.  Thanks

Hey petmomful:

On Sue's other post, I answered some of your questions about quilting on George vs. a domestic machine or stand up long arm.  I'm a George rep so I am biased.  I became a dealer because I really believe in this machine.  I think George is a safe investment. It is sturdy, reliable and SIMPLE to operate.  It comes with a lifetime warranty and great customer support from APQS, from your sales rep and and from the helpful and knowledgeable folks on this forum.  There is a hot market for used George machines because they hardly ever become available.  I won't take up any more space...just email me at quiltmaker.nancy@gmail.com and I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have about George.  And let's hear from some other George owners...do you love your George???     Nancy in Tucson

• 4 weeks later...

I am back from California.  My car made it to El Paso and was in a major accident so it is still in El Paso since Oct 7 getting fixed.  Hubby will have to drive back to pick it up when it is done.  We live south of Houston.

Finally got all of the nested Owl material I could find for daughter.  She is coming down on the 12th so she can choose a pattern for me to use. Been picking up patterns for large motifs so she will have several to chose from.

Went to the international quilt show on the 31 and spent the day.  I was with a non quilter so did not get to spend as much time in the vendor section as I would have liked.

As for do I love my George, you bet.  I did not get it for a business as I just make quilts for family and friends.  It was worth it for me to have the extra throat space to do the free motion quilting. 

Hope everyone is doing well

SueB

• 8 months later...

Archived