Need pricing advice

Sorry to bother everybody again. I have two quilts for a customer that I did. Both are meandering. The one I did with some loops in it. The problem is that they are only 40 x 42 and 30 x 46. With my pricing I would only make about $30.00 for the two of them combined. Do I do a minimum charge on these? I talked to my neighbor who also does LA quilting and she doesn't charge a min. But I feel like I am giving it away by charging by the square yard. Any advice?

Thanks

Angela

Yes Angela - It is good to have a min. charge set-up in advance. You will

find that for overalls you make more money on those little baby blankets -

usually! I have a min. of $35.00 and I tell them that up front. Now a few

times - for a really good customer - I have charged by the sq. inch for a

bunch of table runners and placemats. This all had the same backing fabric

and I floated them on top... I still made sure that it was a fair

price for me too.... I am not doing this for free! If I were - - I would be

working on MY projects... not stuff for other people!!:)

Angela --- I also have a min. charge set-up in advance. I have a work sheet that I go over with the customer that states prices, design and the complete work that will be done on the quilt. I also have the customer sign the work sheet giving me the authorization. (authorize photography too) This helps pay for machine, overhead, & classes. Once you give your work away, they will expect it every the time, & time is money.

Rebecca

The Cottage Quilter

www.cottagequilts210@aol.com

I too have a minimum charge...........one for baby size quilts ($40.00) and another for lap size and larger ($50.00).

I also charge for thread, but not for the 'set-up' like some..........

I agree with Rebecca, don't give your work away. If in doubt try and find someone in your area who would be willing to assist you in pricing.

Best of luck

Tish

Hi Angela,

It's been a few days since your post and I see you have several answers already that would be similar to mine.

I have had a minimum studio charge of $35.00 since the beginning of my business and it's printed clearly in my brochure. I have recently begun charging my minimum charge for some of my FREE charity quilts as well. The reason is this. Our local quilt guild has been making small comfort quilts for chemotherapy patients and I've been happy to quilt up as many as I reasonably can. Once a year those quilts, after being displayed in our local quilt show, are taken to a nearby hospital where they are distributed.

For about a year now we've been okaying members to take finished chemo quilts or to use guild materials to make their own quilts for friends or family members who are chemo patients. From that gesture, came the request for me to quilt some of those. I did quilt a few for free, but right away felt a change in the arrangement. First of all is my schedule. Now I have to put those quilts into my work schedule along with other paying customers, (yes, I have bills to pay too) instead of doing them as time allowed.

I've tried to explain this as gently as I could as these quilts come to me. Some people understand and are willing even to pay full price but some just don't understand at all why it should make any difference. I just try to explain that if it's a personal quilt, for personal use, even an unfortunate one, that I would have to charge my minimum studio charge.

We've had quite a discussion about this among our local longarmers. We each have to make our own decision about how to handle this and be as charming and giving as we can while not getting burned, or burned out.

PS: $35.00 is about the lowest minimum that I have heard of. Most quilters in our area would probably not be lower than $50.00

When you go to work, you should be paid. Have fun too! ~~ Eva H.

Archived