A new mistake to make

You know how you've got the extra 4" or so of batting that extend beyond the edge of the quilt?  Do yourself a favor and check that you don't that extra backing wrapped around the backing then extending into your stitching.  At least it was a small section, maybe 6" long, and I've already got it skinned off.  Easy to skin with a razor blade, and I'll just need to remember to re-stitch that border.  What a goof! :blush:

I have quilted a scrap unto the back of a small wallhanging on my domestic machine....yep...a skinning job!  I figured out the tension problem lI was having a few days ago....all was well until the last 6-8 inches...then the bobbin tension was way too tight...top looked great...didn't notice until after the quilt was off and the edges trimmed...upon searching for the problem...I discovered that I had somehow placed the bobbin thread under the little bobbin case latch!  yep I guess that would increase the tension.....so on to the next quilt.....Ok, tension looks great except again the bobbin tension is too tight but only on straighter parts of the quilting...that is were the railroad tracks are, not in the curved parts where I am more used of finding them....tightening the top thread a bit seemed to correct this....this was my third quilt....so I am on a learning curve...feels good though to finally start up the quilting.  I got my machine in feb-march and had thought I would have more done...but summer got in the way...spent way too much time dealing with snow in April and being outside doing gardening and things this summer...hopefully we won't have much snow this winter and I can quilt away....Lin

How's that saying go...misery loves company? The past few days I was making a king size quilt for my nephew exclusively on the longarm with large strips of fabric and got all the way to the last 3 1/2" strip to attach, and was 1 1/2" short on the backing!  At least I saw it before I quilted through it.  Now the quilt won't be done "exclusively" on the long arm. :(  FYI, I prewashed all the fabric.  Measured the backing before (108") and after was only 105".  Forgot to take into account the shrunken size when I was laying out my strips.

On one of the LA sites they showed how to add a piece to the backing fabric.  It involved using your side clamps to hold the backing.

After lifting the quilt top and the batting and pinning it back on itself,  Pin the new piece onto the bottom RST and carefully pin the excess towards the take up roller.  Use your LA to stitch the new piece of backing to the piece that is too short.  Go slow and it will work.  I did it a few weeks ago and was very happy with how it turned out.  Sorry I can't remember who the clever person one who showed us how or which site it was on, but I'm going to guess it may have been MQR.   Good luck.

Archived