Need a new DSM

I know this topic has been visited many times here, but I can't seem to find the posts. I need a new DSM on an emergency basis. I have a Janome 100 that I just bought last year. I only paid about $120 dollars for it. I guess I got what I paid for. It totally seized up. Nothing will move. I'm taking if in for a check up tomorrow. I am very likely to walk out with a new machine. I bought this one because I didn't think I needed all the bells and whistles. I was wrong. I want something that will last and not need service every time you turn around. I am looking for something in the $600 to $1,000 range. I want a thread cutter, maybe needle down, and would like something with an alphabet font for doing simple labels. Any suggestions?

Drat! I'm sorry your machine went postal, Peg.

I'm a Bernina girl.

I have a 440 & 153.

Love em both.

But I have 3 friends who LOVE thier Babylok machines.

I'm not sure what they cost, but they all tell me how stupid I am to pay Bernina prices.

So, they must be less expensive!

Good luck choosing....

I have two baby locks, love them both. I leave on at home and travel with the other. My friend has two also, but hers are one for sewing and one for embroidery. We love our baby locks. We both sew daily, and her probably a lot more than me. They are not as expensive as a piaffe or Bernina, but are well worth what I have paid plus.

Shirley

I have a Viking D1 & an SE...neither are no longer in production...I love them both...I also have a Bernina 630 which I don't think is still being made?  I love this one too....I do use my Bernina 630 for most of my piecing....but I love the Vikings if I am doing an applique work or fancy stitching that involves corners or curves because of the automatic pivot position of the presser foot...very easy...don't have to use a knee lift or the presser foot lever...in fact the Vikings don't have a presser foot lever.....all of this were well over $1000 new....but have you thought of getting a used one?  I certainly would look a higher end used machines over the lower end new ones...but of course....having a dealer who knows the machines nearby is a must....I would look at the used ones at the dealers if you can....they mostly likely have been serviced and come with at least a 30 day warranty....None of my machines have needed any major repairs...just an occassional adjustment or cleaning except I did have to replace on computer chip on the 630.  I checked recently on the D1 with my dealer reguarding being able to get parts as it is getting older for a computerized machine....she said parts are still available and they have a tech in the store...so that would be another thing to check...yep...I know about too many feet!  But those feet are sure fun when you have a specific technique...I have to admit however, I have some I have not used yet!  Blush!   but if I need them...I have them!  Lin

I don't have anything fancy, but it has been a good machine and has never giving me any problems; it's a Janome memorycraft.  I am not sure of the model off hand, I am currently at work and can't look.  I also have a singer featherweight I use as a traveling machine.

One place to check for good price on really nice machines is Ebay.  I have a Bernina 180 and it has been a work horse for me.  I would get another in a heart beat.  I also recently purchased a Bernina 330, also a nice machine but don't like it as well as my 180.  I paid $800 for it last year brand new.  It has everything you are looking for except for auto thread cutter. 

I have two Pfaff machines, one for over 25 years and both have been great. The "Made in West Germany" one is an absolute tank...I don't see how it will ever not work with proper maintenance. It is a 1475 CD and they are available on eBay frequently for around $600-$700...but perhaps buying a 25 year old machine is not what you have in mind :) (Mine is never going to be for sale!)

I do like the IDT (walking foot) on my Pfaff machines.

I have a Bernina 450 embroidery machine. I do not know if I like it or not, had it for 3 years and will not work more than 12 hours before making an ungodly noise. I have taken it in for repair 4 times now the last time they told me i did not put the bobin case in right (make sure it snapped). I use my Pfaff in the interim. Love my Pfaff. I bought the Bernina thinking (wrong word) it was a good deal. Don't know if there are any good domestic machines out there now. Discouraged.

Ginny

I love my Brother machines:  an Innov-is 450 (quilt club) that has been going strong for 2 years now and an Innov-is 800 (Laura Ashley) that I bought used a few weeks ago.  They sew smoothly and quietly.  BabyLock and Brother machines are pretty much clones, BTW.

My advice would be for you to test drive some machines at whatever dealers are convenient for you.  I was disappointed with the staff at my local Bernina dealer, and the machines are so pricey so I passed on those.  I then tested a wide range of Brothers.  Mine was about $850 when I bought it new, but it had all the feet and accessories I would possibly need.  I splurged for the extra smoothness and quietness I experienced with the 450, but there were at least 2 lower piced machines that would have been perfectly fine.

If you get a chance to attend a quilt show somewhere, it would be worth it.  I was at Des Moines this past weekend and I think every sewing machine vendor was there.  It would be a good place to try out several machines in one day and determine which one you like the best.

Good luck on your search...

I have Pfaffs as well and have not had repair issues with them.  Love the dual feed, I have it engaged almost all the time and have sewn all kinds of fabrics with them including satin, chiffon, cotton, fleece, sweatshirt, t-shirt knits, and jeans mending right over the layers of seams and pocket edges without a problem.  I have quilted the layers with them as well.

Be sure to get a dealer that you like and will work for you.  Checking things out at a show would be good, but be sure that you are the one using the machine, not the demonstrator--they know what to push, turn and click to make the machine seem wonderful--and then it doesn't do it for you later!

With all the new models coming out now, check to see if there are some that have been traded in that fit your needs.

Good luck.

I have a Brother NX-2000 Laura Ashley and I love it I sew a lot and this machine has all of the bells and whistles and I really like the AHA feature.  I just sold  my NX-800 Laura Ashley and a Bernina 140 Patchwork they were wonderful machines also. The only reason I sold them was I am buying a APQS Millie. I think you get more bang for your buck with a Brother machine but that is just my opinion. Let us know what you decide to buy OK? Have fun shopping and test driving them :)

Thanks for all the great feedback! I went to the local sewing center and spent several hours test driving different machines. I ended up with a Janome 4120 QDC. I'm really happy with it. Great stitches, pretty fast, needle up/down, thread cutter, needle threader, and some decorative stitches, including upper and lower case alphabet. It was on sale and they took my broken one back and gave me nearly full credit from what I payed because I bought it from them just over a year ago. Great customer service. A big win for me.

Peggy

Archived