Newbie, with a pain problem

I wanted to update you guys. I took all of your ideas into consideration. I looked at George videos. Then I found a machine on ebay, a sit down babylock tiara that was a great deal.  It was within my budget.  The table is adjustable and the seller is throwing in the bells and whistles that she has bought. It is only 1 year old.  I think that if I limit my time on it, as some of you suggested, I will be able to use it. I know it is not a George, but I could not pass up the deal. I actually agonized over it. But I finally went for it, and tomorrow my hubby and I are going to drive to Arkansas, from Missouri, to get it. We are going to spend the night in a luxury suite and they have a hot tub. Since we never go anywhere, this will be quite fun for me.  I will be sure to take my pain pills!  I am really excited and so grateful for your input; I am sure you have helped me make a good decision on the style of machine to get.   My only remaining question is, what is a saddle seat?  Is that a stool shaped like a butt?   lol     I am so glad I found this forum and I hope I get good enough at quilting to help someone else like you have all helped me. I am sure I will learn a lot here, and I hope to share this machine with my daughter and granddaughters. Two of my granddaughters, so far, have shown a great interest in sewing.

Congratulations on your purchase and wishing you lots of enjoyment.  You won't need a saddle seat with a sit down machine but here is a picture of one to answer your question!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00196NPUQ/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=1535523722&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00079H9FS&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=07SCH9NH4NF50430144P

Petmomful, ask for a referral to a rheumatologist. There are 18 tender points in the body. If you have FM, you'll have at least 12 of them. I had all 18. They don't hurt until someone presses on them. Then you just about go through the roof! Many Drs. are very ignorant about FM and I've even had one tell me it doesn't exist. I told him he wouldn't be saying that if he had to live with it! and never went back to him again. It is NOT in the mind, although you can feel like you're losing your mind after so much pain. :o I've been dealing with it since a car accident in 1989.

I found a way to describe FM to them.. IF  they have ever had a bad sunburn or just a burn,  and had someone touch or worse yet, scrape a fingernail acorss it, that is a minor pain reaction to FM when touched. 

I don't have FM but I do have trigger points that shouldn't be touched, and one is right in mid back where a person touches to give a hug.  Most people don't question why when I ask them to hug way up on the shoulder.

I have a fused neck and have found that looking down about as far as I can bend my neck, is a big no-no, and find if I change the angle I'm looking at the machine, it helps a lot.  I don't have the powered up/down, so I just adjust the saddle stool.   The url in an earlier post is the exact model I have.

Sometimes it is even helpful to be too high or too low for a few minutes to get the neck to forget an earlier position.

Hope you find a way to educate folks who don't believe..

Rita

Rheumatologist told me I don't have FM.  He said I might have Crest Syndrome which I have never heard of.  Sent me back to pain dr.  It has been a joke. I no longer let them stick needles in me. I pass out and vomit now. I have PTSD. Have had some horrible tests.  PT is way too painful for me. It makes all my muscles spasm. I take pain meds and muscle relaxants and that is all I am willing to do now.  This mess has been going on for about 22 years now. I just have to limit myself in everything I do. I will not quit sewing, quilting, embroidering!!

awsome advice Darlene.  Great ideas from everyone else.  The size of your machine, and the wheels do make a big difference.  

Consider the computer idea also.  between getting a lighter (to me) machine with a bit smaller throat space has made a big difference to my neck and shoulders.  And my IQ is my best quilting friend.  

Good luck in whatever you choose.  

Is there any way you can get to a show,  there are a lot of dealers at those events and it's great to be able to try out different ones.  Just try not to let me pressure you until you've tried them all.  A lot off used machines on the market can make the deal even sweeter, and then you can add the options you want. 

Good luck in your search.  You will get the machine you need if you are patient.  

Archived