Rating an iron

I would like everyone's opinion on a quilting iron.  Which one is the best for quilting:  Reliable V200 or the Oliso Smart Iron?  I'm in the market for a new iron (just for quilting), but am reluctant to spend that much money without getting input from the experts!

Thanks....

Delores in Illinois

I had an oliso and it didn't make me happy.

I've never tried a reliable.

I've found the best iron for me is the dry iron that is available thru the Vermont country store.

It gets nice and hot.

No auto shut off.

No holes in the sole plate.

Cheap enough that I don't mind replacing it every year or so when it wears out..

But that's just me.

I just went to the website for the Vermont Country Store and looked up their dry iron.  It really brought a smile to my face. It looks like the iron my grandma had 40 years ago.  For $30.00 I am going to try it.  If nothing else, every time I use it, I will think of grandma and smile.  For that, it will be worth $30.

Thanks....

Delores in Illinois

I had a Reliable Steam Generator for about 15 months and it exploded like a pressure cooker. It scared me to death the day it happened and I'm grateful I didn't get burned. I contacted Reliable and they refused to do anything about it. It was out of warranty but I was still disappointed because I had paid a lot for it. I could never buy another Reliable.

I had an Oliso iron that didn't even last 1 year. I have a Reliable which I don't like because it shuts itself off and takes forever to get hot again. Now it doesn't even stay hot when I'm using it! I have owned 2 of the Continental dry irons that the Vermont Country Store sells (I got mine through Amazon for about $23 each). I love that iron but they don't last 1 year before they give up. My most recent one died yesterday! I was told that none of these irons are made to be left on for long periods of time like we do when we are piecing. One of my students has purchased a cheap Black & Decker which I have used and like. It does not have an auto shut off but I haven't been able to find one like it yet. I'm still looking. My next iron will be a cheap - inexpensive - one and if I can find one with no holes in the sole plate that would be wonderful because I don't use steam.

Love the dry iron from the Vermont Country Store and if you buy two, I think the price is quite a lot less.  Get a friend to purchase one at the same time.  When I need steam, I just use a spray bottle.  Have had expensive Rowenta, and an Oliso.   Like my very inexpensive Vermont Country Store iron much better.

Marilyn

I own three irons at different locations. A Rowena for regular ironing, which has been great. I have a cheaper Rowenta (from Costco) for quilting that I have never put water in and it too has been fine. I also have a Sunbeam that was a cheapie purchase at Target...it works just fine...but doesn't get much use so I can't say too much about it either way.

I'm a two iron houehold...one in my sewing room and one for my husbands ironing board. Yes, poor guy has to do his own ironing. I've bought countless irons, I'm guessing that every year I'm replacing one of them, have had everything from the top of the line Rowentas to the 19.95 Black and Decker from Walmart. Some last longer than others but none of them last for any reasonable amount of time. At this point I only look for one without the auto shut off, they're usually cheap and they work well for as long as they work, then I buy a new one.

I've also had the gravity feed irons with the tank that hangs from the ceiling. I love these and the steam they generate but they aren't a sure thing either. While they last longer they still require occasional parts, mine always need thermostats and those are expensive too.

I worked for 30 years at Macy's in the tailor shop and we had industrial irons that were hooked up to a boiler. While the boiler always worked, those irons required the maintanance guy constantly to keep them working. He explained to me one time that the things irons have to do...heat up, maintain temperature and shoot steam....are so hard on them they just wear themselves out.

Buy cheap and replace!

I have a Oliso and I love it, it does a good job for me. I like that you just have to put your hand on it and it goes down. I also have a Rowenta I'm not real happy with that iron. I sew alot and my irons have to do their job. I have a couple Black and Deckers as just in case irons. They are good for a back up but my Oliso is my favorite. I just have never had any problems with it. Have fun shopping for your iron  :)

I have a Rowenta commercial professional with the 3 pronged plug that I have had for years...it has the auto shut off and I use steam.  It does not take long to reheat...I just shake it....A few years ago, I was reading iron reviews and got alarmed by what folks were saying about their Rowenta's...I had just bought a new one because I had been thinkging my old one was getting old and the new one was on sale at a good price.  Well, the new one is still in the packaging and the old one is still going strong.   I dunno why it is still going.  I use tap water in it,  have used the "clean" feature on it about 3 times in the years I have had it.  I know my tap water does not require softening and does not leave mineral residue so I am thinking that maybe the quality of tap water has something to do with how long steam irons last?  I am just glad I seem to have hit the jackpot with this old iron...some day it will go belly up.  Until then I will enjoy it.  :)  Lin

I have a Rowenta travel iron that I use much of the time.  It is fabulous to take on retreats because of its size.  I also use it on my fold up wooden TV tray converted to ironing board next to my sewing area.  It is nice and small, stays hot and doesn't turn off.  Bought it as BedBathandBeyond, with a 20% off coupon it was pretty reasonable.

I have used Rowenta's for years.  However, it seems the newer ones do have some issues.  The Rowenta I am using now has auto shut off and will heat up fairly quickly when needed. It does have an issue with steam...sometimes it steams and sometimes it doesn't.  I have had this iron for about five years, so I guess it is doing okay for having used it for so long.

I have always thought that I would go with a less expensive model when this one dies and just replace it when needed.

I think Delores has probably already made her decision, but here's my 2 cents worth anyway.  We have a Pacific Steam gravity feed iron.  We had 2 different Rowenta steam generators which both started leaking, and my wife has an Oliso which is OK, I guess.

The Pacific Steam has a remote water supply. so it is not portable.  We use it 2 or 3 days a week.  It's turned on in the morning and stays on until evening.  It's dry until you press the steam lever then steams like crazy.  It does not turn itself off.  It does not stand up, but rather lays on it's hot surface.  A separate teflon plate comes with the iron which the iron sets on when you're not using it.  About 8 or 10 of us use it all the time. and the only complaint I've heard anyone make is that it's heavy (I think the iron itself weigh about 4 lbs)  We've had it now for about 18 mos I think (maybe it's 27. I don't really remember) and it has performed well.  It has a 1 gallon water supply so you never run out of steam, and since it only steams when you ask it to, the water lasts for months.

These are industrial tools, meant to be used 24/7.  If something should go wrong with it, it is rebuildable, so you don't have to throw it away.  If you get a gravity feed iron, be sure it has a heat shield.  A friend (who happened to have had 2 Rowentas and one DeLonge steam generator) bought another brand gravity feed that does not have a heat shield.  She loves the iron - no more running out of water and sitting around waiting for the unit to cool so you can refill the meager water supply- but says it verges on being uncomfortably warm when she uses it.

I think I paid about $170 for it on line.  For those of you that like steam generator irons, Pacific Steam makes them too.  They are however, a bit  pricey.  They make several different models, the least expensive starting at over $600.  We've seen no need for a steam generator.  After the Pacific heats up (it takes a few minutes) you have steam whenever you want it.  The iron just sits there all day waiting for someone to come and use it.  If we ever needed to replace it -since it's rebuildable I don't see that happening- we'd buy another one.  Jim

My favorite iron is a vintage sunbeam. Simple dry iron, stainless steel, weighs a ton and hot as the dickens. It must be 40 + years old and still as good as the day it was made. Found it on ebay and paid more for shipping because of the weight, than I did the iron. My oldest daughter has already put her name on it, for after I go to the quilt store in heaven. (hoping it's heaven and not the other place) :)

Debbie

I have gone the other way.. tired of buying cheap irons that I have to shake just to get the light to come on.. and the automatic shut offs that shut off so quickly.. I am about to purchase the Yellow Oliso.. I am glad a few people love it .. at least I don't think I will get carpal tunnel from using it ! LOL 

Rowenta has a Professional model that does not have the auto shutoff. It has a very large water reservoir and I keep the steam turned way down because there is so much it fogs my glasses, LOL...... Check out Nancy's Notions website for the model for quilters. I have had Rowentas for the last 20+ years and had no problems with them. We have very hard water here and I use half tap and half distilled. The tap water added is so the iron will steam; they do not steam well with plain distilled water. 

My story would be similar to those who love their Rowentas. I have had mine for so long that I can't even remember where I bought it. She is a workhorse and doesn't require much. I leave the tap water in her and never have had to clean her out. It does have a teflon sole plate which I love because when I get junk on it, all I have to do is scrub it with a scrubbie. I will be so sad when she goes. Sometimes I leave it on standby for days, no problems. She just sits there blinking her little yellow light.

I was tempted by the yellow Oliso, but I heard you have to empty the water out every time you finish using it. Too much work for me, sorry. 

Archived