Spring in Bobbin Case

RABurgan

Help.. I was using Magnetic Prewound Bobbins that came with my machine.. and had to remove the Spring and now that I am not using the prewound Magnetic.. I can't seem to get the spring back in properly .. is it supposed to lay flat in the Bobbin case?.. and can you use the Super Bobs without the spring ? 

It does not sit flat. Do you see the two little fingers,, those stick up and cause friction on the bobbin. The only bobbins that work without it is the magnetic core ones. Save yourself the aggravation in the future and get another bobbin case mark one for no spring. It is a good idea to keep a spare on hand.

Shirley

I'll just add that the spring does lay flat in the case with the fingers pried up a bit as Shirley advised. To insert the spring, match the half-circle of the spring with the same shape on the bobbin case. Use a screwdriver to push an edge down until the two small flanges on the edge of the spring snap into the corresponding slots at the base of the case. The fingers should stand up a bit. 

I no longer use the spring for anything;  I took it out, and use a Bobbin Genie. 

Haven't had it mess up a quilt..   well, until Himself decides to leave it out, or worse,

work on it so it works better. 

I'm on the second Genie since last summer.  They just don't wear out,  just make sure

the duller side is up, the shinnier side down.

Be careful when taking a bobbin out, as Genie loves to slip out too.. hard to pick up.

RIta

Thank you Ladies.. I took your advice.. ordered a new bobbin case and an extra spring in the even I bent the other up too much.. I will be marking the new one.. and I hope that I can get the old one ( which is Not really old at all ) .. fixed and able to use that as well.. do you ladies have the Towa guide for tension?? Would it be a good investment for a newbie ya think?? I have struggled with Tension issues since I got the machine in March.. I am trying to claw my way back to some normalcy.. and get some quilting done that I can be proud of !

A towa gauge is helpful. It would tell you if you had a bent bobbin because it wouldn't stay steady. Jamie Wallenberg has a video on setting bobbin tension. His way is way too loose for my machine, but it is a good starting place. I say too loose because it gives me a flat line top thread with the disc not even touching. It must be the way my thread path is, but it has worked on several machines that I helped get there tension back. They had been told to only adjust the bobbin and not the top thread. If you have someone close to you have them help you get your tension perfect and then you will know for sure what it looks like. I had been quilting a long time before someone took the time to show me. It helped.

Shirley

I believe that is Jamie Wallen.    He is on Face Book, too.. with lots of instructions on various things.

His main thing is the practice of one element at a time, like an eeeeee then an llll then elelelel

but only one until you can do it in your dreams.

I was doing a leaf, a petal a feather a heart, etc. and it was totally wrong.. one thing at a time, then

when adding an element, keep practicing the former so you don't lose that muscle control.

Off topic..  lol...

Rita

Rita,

I must tell you that I have had a dickens of a time with my bobbin winder since I got it. The tension in the bobbin seemed to change as the bobbin was used up. Hours of fiddling with the winder did not fix a thing. I spent as much time under the quilt, checking the tension of the stitching as I did from the top. I changed cases, bobbins, springs in cases, everything! I have even tried the Bobbin genies before, all with no success. Then you said this about them, " They just don't wear out,  just make sure

the duller side is up, the shinnier side down". Wow! what a great tip!

I stitched out an entire row using superior metallic and bottom line thread and all the stitches look the same top and bottom.

Thank you! Now, why doesn't the package tell you this?

Keeping my fingers crossed that my tension problems are gone for good.

Debbie

Debbie,

What kind of bobbin winder do you have?

Is it the stand alone APQS?

Mine winds a perfect bobbin, and always has.

I'm sure to must be your settings.

I will confess that I rarely wind my own anymore.

Those magna glides made me lazy.

Hi Rita, I finished a couple of more rows today and life is good! 

Meg, I have the one from innova. It's not a bad winder, but doesn't hold a candle to the one I had with my Millie. It is very fiddley. I've read online of more than one complaint about the winders innova provides. Seems, owners either love them or hate them, no inbetweeners! I am hoping to bond better with it now, that the bobbin genies are in my life. I love the stitches I am seeing now.

Debbie

• 2 months later...

Debbie, when you wind a bobbin,  set the thread tension fairly tight.  If loose,

the bobbin will wind loose.  We tightened ours up quite a bit from when we first got

it.  I'd forgotten all about that little bit, since we don't need to change it very often.

I have the apqs Turbo Winder, and wouldn't trade it for 20 of anything else.

It is pricy, but well worth saving up for, and getting.  It is super.   I won't even

consider a Side Winder.    Plus the TW is coinsiderably faster than the dsm or

other winders.. at least that's what I've been able to find out, so far.

Rita

I have taken classes on an Innova and used their winder, it is a good winder, it is a little different. You can call them, or email them for instructions on adjusting the winder. The place I've used is http://www.terylloy.com or in the phone book for St George Utah it's under Let's Quilt. Teryl, Jason or John can help you. If I remember right it threads really weird compared to the APQS one. They usually end up doing it for me.

Shirley

Wow, my bobbin winder has a pound of dust on it!  Pre-wounds rule!!!!  I prefer Superior Super Bobs.  I purchase Fil-tec Magna Glide bobbins in the beginning when all they had were the shiny thread in the prewounds.  Do not like it.  Perhaps they have regular thread prewounds now, I have not been to the site for a long time.  Not thrilled with the price either.  I really like all the colors available from Superior.

Archived