long arm quilting faux leather? Plethora?

Wray

Hi, This is my first post so forgive me if I make an error.  Here's my dilemma.  I have been asked to diamond quilt faux leather panels for a stage set.  I have an APQS Millennium.  Can I do quilt this material on this machine?  If so, I have Omni thread, is this OK? As the play begins on Thursday, I have no time to order any other thread.  What size needle do you recommend?  Or will this ruin my machine?  Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks, Wray.

You should be able to quilt this. Be aware that you only have one chance to get it right. The needle holes will be permanent. (Realize also that something on stage is far from the audience so no worries if you have an oopsie.)

Omni should work fine and as for needle size, the needle matches the thread size and the needles we use should be strong enough to sew through faux leather.

Since the stage sets are all about fooling the eye, the set decorator can darken the stitched area on either side to give a feeling of depth to the stitches and make the fake leather look really quilted like upholstery. Fun project, but not my cup of tea!

Good luck and have fun---share photos if you can.

Others have done it as said above, just no redos as it can be seen close up also as said above. I have quilted some things I never thought would turn out, but they did, I haven't found anything yet our machines can't handle. Just go slow with something new until you see what will work with it.

The adage of 69 feet away on a fast horse really is what you will have for set props.

Shirley

Thanks for your help.  I think I'm just going to do this work on my sewing machine, as they will be manageable panels and save the longarm pleather experiment to sometime when there is no immediate deadline.  I am doing this because it is for a family member who is a set designer and who had an order go wrong.  Otherwise, I would have said 'no'.  Happy quilting.  Wray

Archived