:unsure: I think I have done a total of 4 quilts on my new Millie.

For some reason when I was doing a quilt yesterday, the side tensioning clamps kept catching on the left side of the Millie and messing up my border stitching.  I do not remember having this issue on the other 3 quilts that I did.  I tried putting a ruler on the poles to raise up the clamps, but that didn't work, it still got caught.

It seems for some reason the clamps are sinking lower than on the previous quilts.

Does someone have a suggestion on this.  It was really irritating  :wacko: 

Thinking out loud here.....could it be that I don't have the elastic pulled tight enough...........I did try that and it was pulling on the backing so I loosened it up again. :P 

TIA

You may just need to move your ruler closer to the quilt and see if that brings it up. Perhaps the backing fabric wasn't as wide or as tight on the edges as the other quilts?  I do not like the clamps that come with the machine; a lot of use a variety of clamps that are lighter or clamp to a straight edge. I use the Featherlite clamps which I don't think are available at this time. Renae Haddadin sells a nice clamp system that the original clamps are used with. Check out her website for Quilts on the Corner.

https://quiltsonthecorner.3dcartstores.com/Gadgets-Supplies_c_41.html

I think they are called RedE Edge. Others on this forum have used some chip bag clips. Do a search and I am sure you will come up with several topics and maybe some YouTube videos.

Your backing was probably bigger on the other quilts. Make sure the side of the clamp without the elastic is on top and use a curtain rod across you rails right behind the clamp under the elastic. It should hold it high enough to only cause minor irritation. You could also pin a fabric strip to the side if the backing isn't wide enough. I have had to do this on several customer quilts and I charge a little extra to do it.

Shirley

It does sound like maybe your backing was not as wide as the previous quilts. I have tried several different clamps but have gone back to the APQS clamps.

What I do though is if I think I might have a problem is to use the end of the elastic on the clamps and attach that to my backing with safety pins. I never have a problem doing it that way.

I actually use side leaders....I found out about them through Sharon Schamber.  She has a tutorial on her YouTube channel and you can see how to make them...but basically they are small leaders that act much like the canvas leaders on the bars...I pin them to the sides of my quilt catching the batting and backing usually and then attach the clamps to those.  Even when the backing isn't wide enough I never have an issue with running into the clamps any longer even with my ruler base on, and it helps keep the tension consistent through the sides.

I made me some wooden clamps to use. I'm not sure what the material is called but you see it a lot on the backs of mirrors. It is about 1/8 " thick. It is slick on one side but the other side has a sort of waffle weave finish which helps it grip the fabric. I cut 2 pieces approximately 3" x 20" and laid them on top of each other with the waffle side facing in. I took some wide tape and taped them together along one of the sides creating a sort of hinge. I put that on the edge of the quilt and then clamp that. Then I use curtain rods across the rollers and under the clamps. I find that it works very well. As far as size you can cut whatever size works for you. I have a Gammill Optimum Plus so that size worked for me. I am sure any lumber yard would have it.

I use the Grip Lite by Quilter's Paradise side clamps and there is an up and down to them. 

The elastic needs to be clamped so it is down, leaving the handclamp with the black no-slip

dot on the one that is at the top.

I think I have another set, and if I do I will be selling them.  Never could use them.

I have also switched from Red Snappers to zippers.  They are much esier to use, and

I baste the quilt back to the zippers on my dsm.

Results on side clamps :)

I pulled out 2 old curtain rods, that was good, only got caught 2 times while quilting the entire quilt, but it was very minimal irritant.  One thing I did like about using the rods......it kept my clamps from hitting the carpeted floor......this was positive and save me time from walking them over to the side to lower them..........2 issues solved here :D

The backing was wider, that was good, this really helped.

I am still going to check on all the other suggestions after we move........yep........we are moving and the movers are moving 2 long arms and a grand piano........YIKES :huh:

After the move I will be figuring out how to add a 'hem' so that I can use my leader grips........I am getting tired of catching my good shirts on the pins and ripping them, it is getting costly...........for right now I am covering the ends of the pins with blue painters tape :o

I have one more issue to post, but I will start a seperate topic on that.

Thanks everyone :)

Here's a hint about side clamps that was a "duh" moment when my sister suggested it.

When using the curtain rods or a yardstick to hold your clamps out of the way--as you undo the clamps to advance or when you're finished, unclamp the clamp that's farthest away, bring it over the rod and fasten it to the elastic of the other clamp. When you undo the second clamp you can let it hang down. The clamps sit one on each side of the rod, keep the rod from falling off the roller, and you can scoot them to the sides when you're ready to load the next one.

Here's a hint about side clamps that was a "duh" moment when my sister suggested it.

When using the curtain rods or a yardstick to hold your clamps out of the way--as you undo the clamps to advance or when you're finished, unclamp the clamp that's farthest away, bring it over the rod and fasten it to the elastic of the other clamp. When you undo the second clamp you can let it hang down. The clamps sit one on each side of the rod, keep the rod from falling off the roller, and you can scoot them to the sides when you're ready to load the next one.

Sorry Linda - I cannot visualize this?  I push the curtain rods away and reach to set the clamps on the back table - but your way sounds easier?

Archived