Installing new hopping foot shaft - HELP!

Has anyone installed the new hopping foot shaft on a 2010 Millie?  I removed the entire hook assembly but could not drop the hopping foot down because the hook shaft is in the way and I cannot get the shaft slid back.  I loosened the 3/32" set screw but I'm afraid to push too hard for fear I'll push it too far in.

I ended up cutting the old foot shaft off but still there's not enough room to install the new hopping foot shaft because of the hook shaft.

I've read the instructions for changing out this foot several times  and watched the timing video but this hook shaft has me stumped.

I have customer quilts waiting so need to get up and running.  Help please!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Pat,

You will need to push that shaft carefully back towards the gear box, just enough to clear the shaft with your new hopping foot.  You may not have to recess it very far if you take your new "foot" off the shaft, using the allen screws on the back - it may just slide in, and then you can put the foot back on.  Try that first.  And post to let us know how it's going!!

Oh Barb, thanks so much!

I've used a small hammer to "gently" push the hook shaft back (the collar with the set screw came off).  I did take the "foot" off the new HP shaft and have the new HF shaft installed (just screwed in enough to hold in place for now till I read more directions).

I'm fearing getting the hook shaft pulled back out into place.  I bet I had to push it in 1/2" or so.  What's the best way to pull it back out without damaging anything?

Pat, since you're going to be smoothing the shaft before you put your hook assembly back on, you can grab it (gently, gently) with a pair of pliers and pull it back out.  Just be sure to pull it straight out, the same way it pushed back - you don't want to change how the gears mesh together.  And make sure that you follow the instructions on placement of the hook collar - it's easy to get it either too loose, allowing forward-back movement of the hook, or too tight, which can bind the shaft.  Just follow the instructions - that's what they're for!! Good luck!!

OK, I got the hook shaft pulled back out and the collar on so there's no play.  Hope it's not too snug, but the directions say push the collar against the gearbox as tight as possible.

I'll carry on now with the instructions.  I think the rest should be downhill from here.

Thanks so much for your help Barb!

Well, finally got it all back together and the stitches look great!  There's a noise I didn't hear before, maybe in the gearbox area.

I'll give Amy or Dawn a call tomorrow and see what that might be about.

Thanks Barb for coaching me thru this!

Archived