Donita Reeves extended plate

Hi all!  I set up my "new to me" Millennium (love it!) and I have the extended plate from my Ultimate I thinking they would be the same, but the needle hole is off - I see in some old chats that this happened and they were sending out a pattern for you to mark your needle hole?  Anyway, I guess I'll have to get a new one (I can't imagine there is any way to make that front lip on the underside a little wider?) and wonder if someone has one that maybe we could try trading or one I could buy, or if someone wants to buy mine so I can get a new one?  Any ideas - is it possible to route out a tiny bit on the bottom.  Here's a crude drawing, I'll take a photo when I get home. 

p.s. I have emailed Love to Quilt and tried calling both numbers?

post-5591-0-93975400-1382383216_thumb.jpg

You could take the base to a machinist with careful diagrams of what you need altered, but it will cost you more than a new base would, I'm afraid!

Good luck with ordering a new base. Unfortunately for the last couple of years Donita has been hard to reach and sometimes after paying for the product it's a long time in coming. I'm not saying this is still happening, but beware.

No response?  Hope she's o.k. - anyone near Donita or know?

I love the Hartley products but for the extended base - this one is the best!  I don't want to drill out my needle hole bigger (probably not a good idea?) I'll probably have to trade or sell it and get another?

There was an extended base that clamped underneath, I had a couple machines ago - anyone remember what they were called?

Thanks!

Tried to post earlier but it failed.... 

I also ordered an extension plate from Donita Reeves (Love to Quilt) - the order was placed on Sept 20th, 2013 with a confirmation email.  Since then I have not been debited on my credit card and 2 emails have not been answered....  The web site refers to a move and "back to business" type message - are they reorganising or not doing internet sales...???  Anyone else with the same problem?  On the other hand, if we cannot get an extension plate from Donita - are there other options, and where?  I am interested.

Thanks for any input.

Sue from Luxembourg

I waited months to receive my extended base (replacement). The original base was defective (needle hole not centred). I was asked by the owner to return it.  After many months of unanswered emails and phone messages, I contacted my credit card company.  I provided them with dates and times when I attempted to resolve the issue with the owner.  My credit card company accepted that the owner did not intend to fulfill her obligation and they refunded my money. 

I don't know about the base extensions, but I ordered a set of Easy Glide wheels for my Gammill Classic from them about 2 weeks ago, and received them last week.  I ordered from the Lakeside Quilting web site, not Love to Quilt.  Maybe the Love to Quilt site isn't working.  Jim

PS  I just checked.  I'm wrong.  Lakeside Quilting brought me to Lovetoquilt.com.  That's where I ordered the wheels.  Jim

Anyone know if the needle hole would be the same from one Ulti I to another? If so, I would be interested if they are. Anyone familiar with this? Thanks!

Marci:  I thought it would be the same from Ultimate I to Millennium - (when ordering these base plates they only ask APQS with or w/out thread cutter)?  But maybe somewhere along the line (a particular year or something) APQS slightly changed the dimensions on the throat plate?  Or maybe each machine is slightly different?  Any ideas anyone?

I have had multiple customer contact me saying that they have been sending emails and that the voice mail is full and has been for months.  I just had one say that she went ahead and placed an order and will see if her base actually gets to her.   Kind of scary, but since it is a credit card order she can always challenge the charge if she doesn't get the base.  Just wish I knew whether or not I should be referring people to Lakeside right now.   

http://missoulian.com/news/state-and-regional/polson-ranked-most-business-friendly-city-in-state/article_f490f65e-0785-11e2-8aab-0019bb2963f4.html

There is a link to an article about her moving her shop.

I don't know if it has anything to do with reaching her, but she moved a year ago.

Interesting.

Edit..

After more nosing around, I found the phone number for the quilt shop that she says is across the street from her new shop. The number is 406-883-3643. Maybe if you called them, they could help you find her?

406-883-4146 is the phone number listed for lakeside quilting in Polson, but it's not in service.

I too placed an order several months ago and recieved an confirmation email. Haven't heard anything since and have also called and emailed. Glad to know it isn't just me. Think I will forget it and order the hartley base to replace the one I dropped and broke that my husband has fixed twice.

Well I just got this answer from "All in Stitches" the quilt shop across the street from Donita's place in MT that Meg mentioned in the article above . . . hopefully everything is o.k. and maybe she will have an on-line store?

All In Stitches commented All In Stitches wrote: "We don't sell longarm supplies and the store that did in town has closed. We are working on a website but currently don't have one. Thanks for checking and looking at our facebook page."

So . . . question, do I dare file out my needle hole just a little?

Thanks Cathy for the confirmation - looks like I won't be getting an extension plate from Donita Reeves... Of those in the forum with an extension plate, are there any references on the plate itself as to who makes them and where. Perhaps it will possible to trace the manufacturer and order directly. Another question - what are the other possibilities for an extension plate. I understand the APQS one is in plastic - I would prefer metal. Look forward to some feedback.

Sue from Luxembourg

I don't see where it would hurt to redrill the needle hole as long as it is very smooth when finished.

As for reaming out, or routing out the lip.. I "think" you would also have to drill new screw holes.

I'm talking about the extended base, the glass-like plastic.  At least it looks similar to glass, can't

think of the right name, of course!  :unsure:    LoL, I just remembered,  plexi-glass.   :P    lol

Rita

The plexi-glass one is the Hartley extended base.  I have one, and I love it.  I was originally concerned about it being plastic, about it just sliding on.  However, my fears were groundless.  I leave it on all the time.  It is wonderful, very stable and larger than the Donita Reeves base, which I used to have but since sold.  I have had no problems with my Hartley base, and if I do want to remove it, it is a quick trick, unlike the Donita Reeves base.  I have the thread-cutter on my machine which may help its stability.

Yup...me too. Same experience.  I ordered from Donita Reeves and got a confirmation...then nothing.  That was almost 2 months ago.  I have a plexiglass "box" that came with my (used) machine.  I presume that's a Hartley extended base?  I guess I'll try harder to make it work.  Seems to me that with all the quilting rulers that are available there might be more options for a base for using them.  Thanks for helping me learn it wasn't "just me."  I won't keep looking in the mail.

Hartley Base Expander

Hartley Base Expanders are available for machines with and without  a Thread Cutter (please specify if your machine has a Thread Cutter when ordering).

The Base Expander provides a stable bed when using guides to stitch in the ditch and outline various shapes.The Hartley Base Expander includes one straight edge guide with tapered handles.The base slides onto the throat of your machines without the necessity for clamps.

The guide's handle helps eliminate the danger of sliding around or slipping under your needle while stitching. The Hartley Base Expander was designed for APQS machines only.  Additional guides are also available.

Price: $120-$130

APQS-Hartley-Fence.jpg

I too have the Hartley base expander and love it. It is really great when you are doing detail work and using your micro handles. I put the base on and steady my hands on the base. I can outline applique without any ruler using this method. And it slips on and off so easily. I've never had any issues with the base sliding or coming off when I am using it.

• 2 weeks later...

I have both bases and use both. If I plan to do a lot of ruler work on a quilt, I usually put on my Donita Reeves base, but if I am only doing a bit here and there on a quilt, I just pop on the Hartley base.

I bought my Donita base quite a few years ago from someone on the chat that was selling it.

Perhaps you could find one on EBay.

(406) 624-0451

Has anyone just called her....emails get lost and forgotten.... if she is still setting up there may be issues not intended to miss, but life getting in the way.

I love my base...I never take it off, and its worth the time to call and get someones attention.

• 8 months later...

Archived