used machine

When I decided to buy a machine a couple of months ago I posted my 'wants' here and on the Longarm list thru Quiltropolis. Had almost a dozen replies in one day. One of my requirements was that it be within reasonable driving/hauling distance and I am in a small rural area! Put the word out and you will get all kinds of replies. Good Luck.

Merry

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought my APQS Ultimate I used, mostly because I was at the right place at the right time. It made sense for me, because I couldn't decide on exactly which one I wanted, what bells and whistles to get and so on.

The only downside to buying used, is that you don't get the training that you normally get with a new machine. That made my learning curve a little longer, but you can't beat APQS service group.

Shortly after I bought my machine (and we were going on vacation) I sent my machine head to APQS, who did a throuough going over, (only cost about $35 to ship the head each way), and then had the confidence that everything was as it should be with the machine. Also, it made it so that when I call Connie (or Mark) in a panic, they have a 'history' on the machine, and know exactly what version that I have.

A very GOOD thing about buying used, is that you aren't investing as much $$ up front, and you learn exactly what you want and don't want when you are ready to buy a new machine. Also, APQS will take older APQS machines as trade-in on new machines!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm new to this chat thing so if I get too wordy somebody tell me. This is the umteenth time I've visited and was impressed with the welcome feeling from all the e-mails.. I joined this morning and am looking forward to giving and getting info. I recently have started quilting due to my sister's encouragement. I have a wool applique underway and have almost finished another quilt top. The quilt top I'm afraid might give me some problems when it comes to finishing. I have chosen 100% cotton velvet, a textured striped upholstry grade and another textured chenille.

Sister said it should be fine. Has anyone else worked in these fabrics?

In looking for longarm quilters in the area, there aren't many to choose from. So as a retired person I was thinking maybe I should consider investing in a longarm myself and perhaps start a small business. This is in the perhaps stage and I'm doing my usual investigations.

The quilts I've seen posted are really spectacular. Makes me want to buy more fabric....... Yee gads,,, I think I'm getting the quilting disorder...

Yes, the "quilting disorder" you mentioned is extremely contagious, especially around here. The recovery programs are ineffective at best and not nearly as fun as quilting. I finally gave in to it and accepted my fate. I am now the proud owner of an APQS Millennium, countless pieces of fabric, and lots of quilting "must haves", etc. So don't fight it. You will be in very good company and we are a happy, happy group.

And yes, I have quilted tops that had upholstery fabric, along with velvet, chenille, etc. They were bedspreads, however, and not quilts. I kept the pattern very simple, about 6" apart, and went slower than normal. Your quilt will have the added bulk of batting but I would use the same guidelines. Be prepared, it will be very heavy. Hope this helps.

Jean, thanks for the reply. Went again to the library to see what info was available, ie, quilting patterns finishing instructions, tips, etc. I'm great and the investigation part. Looked at all the wonderful quilts on the site and was simply blown away. I read that several quilters are quilting on their sewing machine. How does that work? Starts and Stops, threads, knotted or not knotted. I saw a long arm on Simply Quilting with Ms. McTavish. She sure did make it look easy. Also, as long as I'm on, what batting would be the ideal. Cotton, cotton/poly or poly? Also, Ms Mctavish talked about having certain accessories on her machine, laser light, this is for doing panto work right? and regulated stitch to keep stitches even when quilting. These sound like "must haves".

retiredma

Akron, OH

Hi there, If you call some of them to send you some brochures they will usually free. Some have videos with they. Then go to a convention like MQX or MQS or road show. Look on the website for all this. The videos really help and conventions. Good luck and have fun. Will be so surprised. Nita

Hello there:) If any one is interested in selling their machine, I am interested in buying. The only problem is that I have a price range that I have to stick with. I too have been looking and haven't found any that would be just right. At this point I'm about ready to just go and purchase and new one just so that I can get my business started. There are a few trade events coming to my area and would like to have some quilts ready to sell. I would greatly appreciate any response. Thanks.:cool:;)

Archived