Batting, right and wrong side

If you can tell which way the needle-punching went through the batting, place it so your needle goes through the same way.

With Warm and White cotton--dimples up, pimples down. When you hold the batting up with the light shining down, one side will be dimpled. That's where the needles went through. The other side is messier--thus "pimples down".

Warm and Natural has the dirty side up. The side with more flecks of debris is the top side. This is problematic if the quilt top has some white fabric used, since the dirt can shadow through.

Most wools are the same on both sides so it doesn't matter.

Poly batts are the same unless needle punching is prominent--then follow the directions above.  :)

OK, here's another clue to keep in mind:  If you are buying batting in the package, keep in mind that the "right" side of the batting is being displayed outwardly through the packaging. So when you unroll the batting, you are looking at the "right" (or up) side and as you unfold the batting, take that into account.

How can you tell the right and wrong side of batting? It all looks the same to me!! lol

I always love this topic. I quilted my quilts for the first couple of years before I even knew there was a right and wrong side to the batting. To one up, a friend of mine who designs quilts and has been in the field of quilting for quite some time (she's older ;) ) told me she hadn't found out about the two sides until a few years ago. Regardless, I never noticed any side effects (batting pushing through) on my previous quilts. :unsure:

Archived