Bonnie Hunters mystery

Heidi

Lol, what stresses you out keeping up with the clues or not knowing if you will like the quilt?

I find it stress free as I don't have to worry about the outcome, but just enjoy the process!  I do not

by new fabric for these mysteries.  I just use up scraps, fat quarters and misc. fabrics from other projects.

I am using last years mystery on my bed now.  I used all Christmas fabrics and decided to get an early

start to the holiday by using my Christmas quilt a little ahead of time.  Hey, why not the Xmas decorations

come out practically before Halloween so why can't my Christmas Quilt.  This year I am going to try to use

all fall colors and make an autumn colored quilt which I can start using at Labor Day,  LOL

I am tempted by this one!  I have done two mystery quilts and enjoyed the process...it was fun...one quilt I really liked...the other one not so much...but my sister loved that one....so it is on her guest bed!  I am going to try and find most of the fabrics in my stash and see what I have....I am swamped with UFO's and some other not yet begun projects....but mysteries are way fun and it is neat seeing what other folks are doing and the fabric that they pick....Lin

I have done the last two and am tempted on this one but I'm like Heidi, I like to know where I'm going and the end result before I start; but I do like the following along with the clues part and watching it come together.  I'll probably wait to see how its looking, maybe clue 4, before I decide.

Jeanne, doesn't it start at the end of November?

This will be my 4th Bonnie mystery; I have enjoyed them all. Yes her designs are challenging because of the tremendous amount of piecing, but the finished quilt never fails to make me smile.  This year I will be joined by several members of my friendship group.  Can't wait for Thanksgiving weekend!

Mary

I'm of the same thought processing as Heidi! I've followed all of Bonnies mysteries and the only one I've attempted I trashed! I did think about trying this one but the fabrics I want to use up I decided to use in her Old Tobacco Road mystery. I just can't seem to pull the trigger on an unknown turnout I guess! I'd love to see pictures of everyones journey though!

I will probably do this one too. I did the Orca Bay and the Easy Street. I have the clues for Roll, roll cotton boll and then it came out in her book. I make copies of the clues and then wait until the reveal comes to put it together. I guess that is cheating. I love when she shows what others have done in their colorway. I wish I could think outside the box like that and replace her colors with something that would work.

I have two different color schemes that I am thinking about one is all fall colors, and the other would be pastels for a springtime quilt. Remember you do not have to go with Bonnies color schemes. You can choose any colors that want and may have on hand. I guess I really like the process of making all the units. As much as I love quilting I think I enjoy the piecing more. So I will have to dig into my stash and see what it will be this year. Last year I went with all Christmas fabrics and just loved how it came out. I would consider these mystery quilts to be more the utilitarian type of quilts especially if it is scrappy and they are usually quite large so make great bed quilts instead of wall hangings

I will probably do this one too. I did the Orca Bay and the Easy Street. I have the clues for Roll, roll cotton boll and then it came out in her book. I make copies of the clues and then wait until the reveal comes to put it together. I guess that is cheating. I love when she shows what others have done in their colorway. I wish I could think outside the box like that and replace her colors with something that would work.

You sure can think outside the box. Just take your favorite colors and substitute for her colors. If you fabrics all look good together the quilt will be awesome!! Go for it!

I don't think outside the box too well either. I find it hard to change the colors when I don't know where they fall in the design. BH did a mystery for Quiltmaker magazine and I started to do it but decided to wait until I saw how the blocks were looking and am so glad I did; one block was a star block but it was hard to see because her colors blended too much(pink and orange) and the values could have been chosen to make that star really pop, but it didn't. I still have those fabrics set aside and maybe I'll make it, but I doubt it because the fun of a mystery is following along with the clues. As was said here her patterns are free and on her website. I saw one she did called orange crush and had no desire to do it from seeing her finish. Then I saw it on someone's blog and asked about the pattern and was told it was orange crush. Huh? What? Noooooo?! (I went back to Bonnie's to see if I could find the design again in her quilt.) I'm collecting fabrics for the blog version. See, it helps me to see where I'm going.

Not sure if I will or not.....have the paint chips, and sort of planning on it, but it will all depend on whether I find the studio or not....will however copy and print the instructions so if I don't get to it as you all will I will at least have it an then start after the next year.  With moving to Oklahoma recently I have to say I have a huge mess and can't find anything right now.

I do need to find "MJ" as I have a customer quilt that I promised finished by December 15th...argh best get with it.....off to unpack more boxes.

I don't think outside the box too well either. I find it hard to change the colors when I don't know where they fall in the design. BH did a mystery for Quiltmaker magazine and I started to do it but decided to wait until I saw how the blocks were looking and am so glad I did; one block was a star block but it was hard to see because her colors blended too much(pink and orange) and the values could have been chosen to make that star really pop, but it didn't. I still have those fabrics set aside and maybe I'll make it, but I doubt it because the fun of a mystery is following along with the clues. As was said here her patterns are free and on her website. I saw one she did called orange crush and had no desire to do it from seeing her finish. Then I saw it on someone's blog and asked about the pattern and was told it was orange crush. Huh? What? Noooooo?! (I went back to Bonnie's to see if I could find the design again in her quilt.) I'm collecting fabrics for the blog version. See, it helps me to see where I'm going.

I substituted royal blues for the pinks in the "too much pink/orange" and really like how it turned out. I am just finishing the outer border now, I can't wait to get it quilted and finished. The nice thing is the fabric requirements call for about the same amount of each color, so anything you substitute should be ok.

Here is a pic of the Lazy Sunday mystery. Borders will be orange, then green/white half square triangles, then purple/white chevrons. They are ready to go, but haven't had time to get them on. I'm not a pink person, so prefer the royal blues. This is the first of her quilts I have made, and also my first step in to making a 'scrappy' quilt. While it did make me twitchy at times while piecing it, I am liking the overall effect.

post-1457-0-79965900-1384523095_thumb.jpg

Archived