Sign in to follow this  
jtlevitt

space planning

Hi all.

So as I anxiously await my new Lucey (all paid up but no date yet), I'm working on getting my space all set.  Can anyone tell me more specifics on the size and space around it needed?  APQS lists the footprint at 5'x12; (getting a 12' frame).  I've heard 2 ft all around.  Do I really need access/space to move at both ends?  Can one be near a wall and the other be where I walk around?  2ft seems small to actually stand in, is that really just talking about clearance for the machine moving back?  Do I need to plan much more than that?  

and while we're at it, what's the maximum quilt size you've done on a 12ft frame?

Thanks so much!

Jess

I just finished a quilt that was 108" square on my 12' frame. I probably have 3' from the rail that sticks out the farthest at the front of the machine to the wall. I also have space to walk around each end. If you don't have space to do that you can get by but it is nice to be able to walk around each end.

Tyra

APQS Millennium

Congratulations!  You can put one end close to the wall.  you just need inches on one end.   A 12 foot frame will let you quilt a 110 inch quilt .  that's a king size.  I would love to have a 12 foot instead of my 14 ft.  I like the parking space for my machine but it would be great to have the extra floor space.

Quilting Joyfully,

FCC796C4FC78D040DABDEF36ED639BF0.png

Joyce Coburn

APQS Sales,Service, Training

EdgeRider Wheels Dealer

joyce@coburnsquilting.com

www.coburnsquilting.com

330-310-7346

My Lucey is in a space 10.5 feet by about 16  I can get around both side of the frame which is nice as sometimes I need to get to the other side from both ends and it saves steps.  I have room to stand on either side so can do pantograms or free motion.  I would plan for as big of a space as you can  :)  I don't have much room for the bobbin winder but found a narrow cart that fits OK that has three shelves.  You can probably get by with a bit less space...but I wouldn't want to give up anymore space than what I have.  My piecing area is upstairs and I do have a cutting table set up in the basement where Lucey lives...but not in the same room...I haven't done a king yet on mine...but will be doing one soon....I know I need enought for the backing to be at least 3 inches wider than my quilt....and figure where the needle stitches and so that the pony clamps can be attached....one thing I like about Lucey is that you can change bobbins with the machine in the middle of the frame....on my old set-up, I had to move the machine back to the side so I could get at the bobbin area.  On my old 10 foot frame for that one, I would sometimes offset the centers  on the frame so I could get to my machine for cleaning and bobbin changes...but I don't think I have to do that for Lucey...again, I actually haven't tried a king sized yet...also if you use the the ruler base on the borders, I don't think you can get as large of a quilt.....hopefully someone with more experience will chime in here....Lin  A newbie too!

I have a Lucey on a 10 ft Millennium table with fabric advance. She is sitting catty-corner and one end is against the wall, the only way we could fit her in the bedroom. And we had to take the door off. It is not ideal, but I move around on one side and she and I get by. I can do up to queen quilt on my setup. Just no room for anything bigger, though I wish.

I have a 12ft. Freedom and I have the fabric advance really close to the wall and can only walk around the other end in its current room that it is in.  Not a big problem I have it as close to the back wall as I can get it just to have the needed floor space.  My DH is building me a new building that is larger and I will be able to walk completely around it then.

Connie

Any day that I get to quilt is a great day.

Freedom SR 2011

Put one end next to the wall. If you have the power advance you will need to add about 10 inches to the end. Then allow 2' to walk around that end. On the front of the machine you need about 2' the back 2' or a little more, I require more room on the backside than the front. So about 5' is correct.

Shirley

I tried something completely crazy about a year ago.  I had just downsized from a twelve foot table to a ten foot table and really needed to do a king size quilt as a gift.  My leaders are only 101 inches wide (they told me they would be 108"!).  The quilt was to be about 112 I think it was.  After talking to a friend who is a local APQS dealer, I pinned the backing on as far as I could from one end and when I go to the other end of the leader I simply folded the fabric back on itself and rolled it up.  I then loaded the top the requisit three inches in from the side of the backing all the way across until I got to the opposite end and again simply folded the extra over and rolled it up.  I put the batting in between and stablized as far as the folded over part, then took the whole thing off the machine and re-loaded so that I could work on the "folded" side.  This time, after I stablized, I did the "real" quilting, took it all off again and re-loaded, again, and finished the original side.  It was not ideal, but it got the job done.  It was incredibly tedious to say the least.  It was a quilt I was making myself so I did not have a customer to please.  It was somewhat less than perfection, but I could live with that.  The recipients were thrilled and did not notice any problem with the results.  It is not something I will do very often and if it were for a paying customer, I would certainly let them know the issues before accepting such a large quilt.  I don't know if anybody else has ever tried this.  I figured it was worth trying at least once.  I am not sure what I would have done if it hadn't worked.  I suppose tried to find somebody who has a table long enough...

Yes Kathy G I did that, although I don't remember having as many steps.  I folded the ends along one side as you did, I did square spirals so it was easy to pick up where I left off when I repositioned the quilt.  As you said, not something I would like to do often, but it got the job done.

D28907A6D426C1F636F2BF6F24BE7BF7.png

APQS Lenni Lover