Questions for those with computerized machines

I'm thinking of going computerized, but I have a couple of concerns.

!.  What if the computer fails?  Does it?  Often? 

2.  Would you keep a few favorite long boards or pantographs for such an emergency?  Or do I not need to worry about it.

3.  I've watched all 6 of the Quilt Path tutorials.  It's not as easy as using the Circle Lord, for instance, or a pantograph.  There appears to be a lot of set up required on the computer, different for each quilt top.

Once you have a quilt "designed on the computer" can you use that same set up again, with all the rows situated and staggered, rather than starting  from scratch each time.  Or can you only use it if the quilt is the same size?

Thanks for any responses.

I've not been on the forum for awhile, and I've missed it. 

Georgene

I have an IQ so I can't speak for Quilt Path.  I don't save the panto set up for another quilt as I can setup in less than 2 minutes maybe less than 1 I've never timed it.  I know it takes longer to set up the long boards or a paper panto.  I did have an issue with my tablet and had to send it from Toronto to California and had it back in 2 weeks.  I know from reading the IQ forum very few have had problems with the tablet (mine was one of small batch with a defective touchscreen).  Anything you can do with the Circle Lord you can do with IQ and you have the ability to re size the pattern as well.  There may be a few patterns on the giant templates that may not be available in digital format but if you really needed them you could record the pattern.  Lots of IQ videos here to give you an idea of what is possible. http://www.iqdemos.com/  I suspect the Quilt Path will be similar as the software evolves.

Nigel

You can still do pantos or freehand. I have a number of the same size quilts that i make and i use the same saved design on them. I havent had mine long, and it takes me a bit to set things up, but i love it. I am able to sew and be productive while the machine quilts. I still watch and check it. I can watch the thread move over my dsm. Im thinking of putting a mittor up so i can see the top of the quilt while i sew. There ate some features they are still working on, but it has been great so far. I am in the process of a quilt with a border, sashings and 2 different block designs and it is turning out great. I will post a picture when i get home and get it finished thursday.

Shirley

I also have the IQ. I have not used my long boards or QZ since getting the the IQ in June. There is a vast amount of beautiful digital designs to choose from many vendors on the internet. There might not be exactly the same designs that you have on your CL, but with such a big choice I don't think you would miss them.

Setting up a panto/e2e on the IQ is very simple. Like most software there is usually more than one way to set things up. I usually save my favourite panto designs into 100"x100" quilts. Then they are always there to choose at the click of an icon. Also by setting the quilt at 100"x100" when I am quilting a smaller quilt I can just clip the sides in the software to the size I require.

Also for me having a Lenni I am able to choose the depth of the panto to fit into my quilting space.

On the IQ a tap of the manual icon lifts the motors so you can quilt freehand it takes a matter of three or four seconds.

Also when in manual mode you have the option to set horizontal or vertical channel locks in the software. Something I did not have the option for on my Lenni.

Which ever system you go for, you will have loads of fun. Yes there is a little learning curve, though I will say the IQ is very user friendly.

I just wish I had not taken 2 years to make up my mind

Hi Georgene,

I purchased the IQ system last December and although I have not been able to schedule a training session with my dealer as I should have, due to my mothers' health problems, I can use it, as it is very intuitive. Recently,  I posted an email to her re: making a no sew zone in the middle of my quilt, and it was just a little while before she sent out an excellent video on advanced pantos with that process included. I love my IQ! and I love my IQ Dealer too!  ( Hi Patty!). I just finished that quilt and it was so easy to go back and sew the label in the area on the quilt top I left unquilted. I knew it would work, but it was so darn easy and quick, I was almost let down when it finished sewing so perfectly!

I can take my tablet off the machine and do my design work complety away from the machine. The tablet is top of the line, not a cheap item at all. It runs on the Linux platform, and the IQ program starts up when the tablet boots up. No other programs are on the tablet and it is never connected to the internet, so no bugs can infect it.

I did purchase another charger so I have one on the machine and one I carry in the case with my IQ. I have only had to use it a few times to recharge the batteries when off the machine, but so worth it to have the extra one. I believe the tablet has 2 batteries built in. Over on the IQ forum, there are many users who are using the first tablets that were issued with the IQ years ago, still running strong after many years of use. I bet I've replaced my regular windows computer every two years for the last decade or so. 

Everything is very well built and should last for many years to come. The warranty is outstanding and service from the IQ team is the best. Very few replacement parts are needed to have on hand and those are just the items that are easily replaced by the user. 

I am waiting on pins and needles for the next sofware update as it promises to be great. They had a short preview several months ago, showing that you can input a photo  and actually stitch it out onto your quilt. I can't find it or I would include a link here. 

As others have mentioned, going from computer to free hand is easy, a push of a button is all that is required.

My studio space is limited, so after I was familiar using IQ, I took the back handles off my machine and pushed my table closer to the back wall. I still need to get back there to the electric outlet and also allow space for the machine to sew front to back or it would have been all the way to the wall. I do not miss working from the back of  my machine. 

I looked at all the major systems before I purchased my IQ except Quilt Path as it was not available for my machine type. I decided that I wanted to still be able to use the cutting mat on my table top and having the motors on the carriage was the best way for me to accomplish that. No belts running over my table and getting in the way.

Those were just a few of the things that I wanted in a computer system and I am very happy with it. I'm sure you will choose the one that best fits your needs.  

Hi Georgene!

I have not had many issues with Quilt Path and I have done over 100 quilts with it since I installed it in June.   I do try to remember to always save what I am doing, so that if there is an issue I can easily get back to where I need to continue from.  I have never had an issue where I have not been able to it at all.  

I think my worst fear when I got Quilt Path was what I would do if I lost power half way through a quilt.  After 5 months that does not worry me at all.  The first time something happened it was extremely stressful.  If that same think happened today, it would not faze me at all.  

I have never really used Pantos or boards so I do not use those as a backup.   I still do freehand quilt, but I would say that about 75% of my quilts are now done on Quilt Path. 

You can save quilts to use multiple times.  I have done about 15 of last years Micheal Miller quilts, and have reused a couple designs that I set up on several different quilts.  It makes it easy when someone see a friends and tell you they want their quilt the same.  

I have been blogging about Quilt Path for the last 5 months and will continue to do so.  I am completely in love with my Quilt Path!  I am in Raleigh, so not that far from you.  Not sure if you have actually gotten to play with Quilt Path.  You are welcome to come by and play with mine, if you are in area.  

I have the Side Saddle by  The Quilting Solution        and love it.

It does a tremendous lot of work since their recent upgrade, and

we can now get a tutorial with a stick, CD and workbook to learn

various things a lot quicker and easier.  It costs extra, but to me

is more than worth it's price.

As for the SS, I love it,  it does all kinds of things, including saving a

design with the options chosen if we ask it to, for use later. It Would be

silly to not save.

I let it run Penny, while I sit beside it and piece or do other sewing things

and just glance over to see if it is still stitching well.    I just finished 3

small youth sized double fleece throws with not one broken or shredded

thread, not once ran out of bobbin and near perfect stitching.   I love it

I love it, I love it!

It uses everyday language so is easy to use in selecting what we need/want

it to do.

it also costs quite a bit less,, makes it hard to decide or pick the "one" computer

that you think will work best for you.

To me, power outages don't make me worry.   I guess I just have the confidence

in the machine to do what I need when I can power it up again.

I've only kept 2 pattern boards which were special to me.  We figure we can

either sharpen up on lazer use or find a way to attach a stylus to follow the grooves.

Do they fail...?   Well, they are man made.. so subject to fail, and that would be in the

once in a very great while"  category, I'd think.

Rita

Hi Georgene,

I added an IQ to my machine a little over a year ago.  It's been wonderful!  I've not had any glitches with my computer at all.  The only big problem I've had in the last year, was a bad bearing in my machine, and that had nothing to do with adding IQ.  I did have a lot of pantos and Circle Lord stuff.  After I got used to quilting in a new way, I felt safe selling my pantos and CL boards.   It did take me awhile to let go of my boards and pantos, they were old and faithful friends.   Like anything new, there is a learning curve.  You will get fast at setting up pantos!  I really like being able to scale the size of pantos and designs to specific quilts.

Good luck in choosing a system.  You won't regret it at all!

Diane in MN

These replies are so helpful. Gives me lots of things to think about. I really appreciate the time each of you has taken to respond.

I will eventually be selling my 2008 14' table Millie (Blissed) and my pantos and boards. I plan to get a new machine with a 12 ' table because we may be relocating next year and a 12 foot table fits in more places.

It would be great if I could sell it all as a package deal, but that would be a miracle to make happen.

It would also be great if I could time it to sell my machine before we move, depending on finding and selling home. Then buy new machine after relocating. In a perfect world..............

Thanks again for your help.

Once you go computerized you'll never look back.  I haven't done anything freehand or otherwise since I purchased my IQ, it's the greatest thing ever!  The more I use it the more I love it.  I could kick myself for not doing it from the get go and spending so much money on paper pantos, design boards, stencils, etc.  The computer is a bargain when you consider you can resize everything to fit whatever you need it to.

The IQ tablet is like a brick.  It's heavy and has fans to keep it cool, I would think it will hold up for some time.

I'm thinking of going computerized, but I have a couple of concerns.

!.  What if the computer fails?  Does it?  Often? 

2.  Would you keep a few favorite long boards or pantographs for such an emergency?  Or do I not need to worry about it.

3.  I've watched all 6 of the Quilt Path tutorials.  It's not as easy as using the Circle Lord, for instance, or a pantograph.  There appears to be a lot of set up required on the computer, different for each quilt top.

Once you have a quilt "designed on the computer" can you use that same set up again, with all the rows situated and staggered, rather than starting  from scratch each time.  Or can you only use it if the quilt is the same size?

Thanks for any responses.

I've not been on the forum for awhile, and I've missed it. 

Georgene,

I'm curious what makes you want to go automated. I've seen the quilts you've done from your website link and they are incredible. I too would like to go automated, but mostly because I don't have the talent that others possess.

James, Thanks. I get very bored doing all over patterns. I'd like the computer to do those and save my energy and back from that mundane task. Yes, the all overs are easy with the CIrcle Lord boards and are what most people want, and they bring in the money. But I like working from the front of the machine and I like custom work.

I heard it said once, and I agree: "Edge to edge designs are your bread and butter, but custom is your reputation."

I guess I could try to do more all over patterns free hand from the front, but the CL boards have really spoiled me.

Another reason to go computerized, is to help save wear and tear on your body!  My neck, back, and shoulders really appreciate my IQ.  I can quilt longer with my IQ, and at the end of the day I'm not as tired as I was before I went computerized.  I want to quilt for a long time yet, and I really think my IQ will allow me to do that.

Diane

I have the Side Saddle computer, for the same reasons  Diane said, plus the shoulder  and hands.

Plus with a simple pattern, without a lot of points or corners, or backtracking, I can do a fleece throw

in less than one day.. 8 rows of pattern, and I get to finish UFO's and do some tailoring and

mending.  Whatever the heart desires.. just frequently, like every 20 sec or so, glance at the SS and

see if it's still stitching, has broken thread, etc.  

The picts of the two most handy are in my album at Flicker

Rita

Rita Quilts 4 All

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rita_quilts/

Archived