Extender photos

dancingstitcher

Looks like the photos of the extenders were removed so here they are again.

Sharon Schamber had an idea on her web site of making fabric side extenders to pin the sides of the quilt for an even tension. I modified her design so I could use the clamps that came with my Millennium. I made a double thickness sleeve that holds a very thick wooden yardstick 18" long (cut in half, one for each end) where the clamps can fasten. The other end of the sleeve is long enough to clear the Hartley Extended Base and then pin to the side of the quilt. If you don't use the HEB very much then just plan for enough fabric to clear the needle head. Underside photo next.

Hope this helps.

Vicki

post--13461897890464_thumb.jpg

This photo was taken on the other side of the machine from the bottom view. Having even tension is really helpful. Perhaps you can see how it clears the Hartley Extended Base. Pinning only takes a minute with each roller advance. I used contrast fabric so I'd be more aware of the edge and not sew onto it.

You can always glue 2 thinner yardsticks together or use other wood strips.

Vicki

post--13461897916391_thumb.jpg

Hi Vicki,

This is exactly the way mine looks and I love it. It does help keep tension the same all the way across the quilt. It has helped keep my floating quilts from wandering to one side too! The last 3 quilts I have done a full float and used the extenders and it works just great. I have found this works the best for my not too perfect piecers; I have more control over the quilt floating it and using extenders. Hope others find this helpful.

Sharon in sunny Iowa today -- 50's --- yeah!!!:D:D

Hey, great minds think alike Sharon. ;) That's great to know that the floating is really stable with the extenders. I tried just one small lap quilt using them in a float and was impressed with that size. I'll try it on a bigger one.

Hope you got your extenders made Jill. Something fancy?

I only have a ten foot table Judi and can't imagine a 14' with a quilt to fit it. Yikes! With my current quilt, a stack n whack, I had to mount it off to one side to make room for the Hartley Fence on the other. it's working! With a queen I couldn't use the HF any closer than about 18". Where are you going to put the 14'? Myrna has a 14' and after her classes mine looks like a baby. If you are going up in size, you'll have to get some new toys too. Myrna has this great steam iron/table combination $1,500 thereabouts.

Vicki

Vicki - That steam iron / table sounds interesting! I would love to get it now

but I need to wait until we build a space for it. Either a completly seperate

building by the house, or finish the basement. Which would be o.k. too -

it is a walk-out with LOTS of windows and patio doors and such, but right

now it is just the load-bearing stud walls. And many boxes of stuff!! There

is a bunch of work that would needs to get done. Right now I am in my

living room - and very glad it is only 12' long.

I would love to have 2 set-ups, one running with the CQ and one just for

others. I would then like to be able to rent out time, but not when I have

only the one machine. Someday - something to work towards!!:)

Myrna's space is in the walk-out bottom level and is very comfortable with lots of room and a view. From looking at her setup it sounds like yours could look like this and be great for the two machines. You could really make a lot of money with the CQ and your original machine. Have fun dreaming and working toward your goals.

Vicki

Archived